PDA

View Full Version : Elemental-esque Templates

Brumski
2011-09-08, 10:57 AM
Hi Playgrounders!

I'm working on a quest chain for an upcoming campaign I'm DMing. Kinda a cliche but I'm going to have a series of chromatic dragons each guarding it's own homebrewed lesser artifact, color coded to each dragon. One of the things I want my artifact's to do is to give whoever picks it up an acquired template, more or less based on the element that color represents. So far the only one I've really settled on is that the green artifact will give the Woodling template from MMIII. It's in the +2 - +3 LA range I was looking for, and gives a nice set of immunities. Also the template won't be always on, you can activate it whenever. I like the idea of "OK, now I'm a tree. Now I'm not."

So, to put my thoughts more in order
Green = Woodling
Red = Fire (obviously)
Blue = Lightning, maybe water sense it's blue
White = Ice, maybe air
Black = Water, maybe acid. Was toying with an undead idea, cause it's black

Thanks!

(Oh, and when they put them together they summon a super hero that fights pollution :smallwink:)

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-08, 11:37 AM
Black should grant the necropolitan template whenever the user wishes, but keep current HP totals. Undead immunities and able to return to normal and with normal HP is worth 2 la.

Blue should be something that grants a fly speed and lightning powers. I would give them a home made template that grants 3d6 eldrich blast (as warlock but electrical damage) and the fell flight invocation (as warlock, but dispells when the template is deactivated)

Red - give them the mineral warrior template and some fire based ability. I like a fatuige aura based on con scores, as the heat sucks the fight out of foes, and fire damge to melee attacks. Tell them they turn into a lava golem.

That leaves White. - Don't know what to do for that.

Madcrafter
2011-09-08, 04:41 PM
That leaves White. - Don't know what to do for that.

Their eyes turn black, their nose gets long, pointy and orange, and they melt in the sun.

Drelua
2011-09-08, 05:18 PM
There's the half-elemental templates from Manual of the Planes which could work for red dragons (fire) and blue dragons (air), but I'm not sure if it can help with the other dragons types. MotP is 3.0, but there's a 3.5 update here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a).

Chilingsworth
2011-09-08, 05:59 PM
Well, if you seem to be missing an earth dragon. If I remember correctly, Blue dragons are of the earth subtype. In any case, Mineral warrior would be an obvious choice for earth, maybe remove the loss of mental stats to up its LA value.

Brumski
2011-09-09, 12:25 PM
I was thinking about the half-dragon templates from the MM, particularly for red, but not for more then one out of the 5.

Was flirting with the idea of the half-vampire template for black.

Maybe something bird-like for the Wind artifact?

I know I'm missing the Earth cliche, but it doesn't fit with the choices presented with the classic chromatic dragons. What's the mineral warrior in?

Clarification for what the artifacts in question are like: Think the ka'kari's from the Night Angel trilogy.

Chilingsworth
2011-09-09, 06:38 PM
mineral warrior is in Drow of the Underdark, one of the Forgotten Realms books.