PDA

View Full Version : Creating magic items in the background.

Pigkappa
2011-09-08, 12:00 PM
Is there a way for magic items to be crafted in my magical bag while I'm adventuring?

I'm currently an item-crafting cleric in a long adventure with some time limits. The adventure is the City of the Spider Queen. We don't know what those limits are and we aren't in a particular hurry, but I can't tell my group to stop for a week because I need to craft my new shield or whatever.

Is there a way to solve this problem? Even if I had a Ring of Sustenance (which I don't, and I don't think we are going back to the city soon, and nobody has Forge Ring) and created items at night, I'm going to slow the party a lot. 2 hours of sleep + 8 hours of crafting + 1 hour for preparing items + 1 hour for Heroes' Feast = 12 hours a day is a lot of time, and that's the minimum I can figure out.

I know there's an item for scribing scrolls in the background, but I need something for Create Wondrous Items and Create Magic Weapons and Armors.

I can spare a feat (just hit lvl 12) or some money to solve this problem.

CyMage
2011-09-08, 12:06 PM
Craft Construct (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Craft_Construct) to make a Dedicated Wright since I'm pretty sure you can't just buy one sadly.

Pigkappa
2011-09-08, 02:10 PM
We're actually playing in Forgotten Realms, so the Dedicated Wright doesn't exist...

Splendor
2011-09-08, 04:25 PM
The Spell "Research Aid" From Dragon Magazine #342 Pg 55
Spell Duration is 1 day/Level - "Crafting magic items takes half the normal time"

-Edit-
Crap I relooked and its a Initiate of Boccob spell.

According to the Forgotten Realms Campaign setting book (pg 9?) the deity conversion for Boccob is Mystra. So it could be a 4th level Initiate of Mystra spell. Which if you worship Mystra, you can take "Initiate of Mystra" as that open feat. Now only takes 4 hours/day to craft.

NNescio
2011-09-08, 04:32 PM
Unseen Crafter is on the Cleric spell list, 'though by RAW it can't craft magic items.

Glimbur
2011-09-08, 04:59 PM
We're actually playing in Forgotten Realms, so the Dedicated Wright doesn't exist...

Research it. Work with your DM; you have a thing you would like to do and there exist rules to allow it, which make a good starting point for a conversation.

ericgrau
2011-09-08, 05:16 PM
Leadership + gnomes + portable hole + bottle of air.

Pigkappa
2011-09-08, 05:52 PM
Research it. Work with your DM; you have a thing you would like to do and there exist rules to allow it, which make a good starting point for a conversation.

Yeah, I know, but a bad starting point is that my character is already really good (with respect to the party average, though I do expend some resources in buffing them up and keeping them alive), that I'm already breaking WBL, that the DM is really tired of discussing builds because there are two crazy players who have bogged him for a long time with obscure options (pixie cleric who can become an invisible Dragon with 1 swift action and fly with perfect maneuvrability... vampire fighter with some obscure prc to deal 6 negative levels per attack...).

Safety Sword
2011-09-08, 07:16 PM
Leadership + gnomes + portable hole + bottle of air.

Oh dear, that is all kinds of awesome.