PDA

View Full Version : Incantatrix Base Class?

noparlpf
2011-09-08, 01:43 PM
So I know about the Incantatrix PrC in Magic of Faerun (page 31). However, I could swear that I've seen a base class of the same name. Does anybody know where that might have been?

Tyndmyr
2011-09-08, 02:00 PM
No such official base class exists.

Edit: However, PGtF does have another version of the PrC. Is that it?

noparlpf
2011-09-08, 02:01 PM
If you're sure there's no such thing as a base class Incantatrix, then probably. I could have sworn I saw a 20-level Incantatrix in one of the books though.

Winds
2011-09-08, 02:04 PM
The version I know of in the Faerun book has tables showing how you could extend them into epic range. You could take 20 levels, but it just increases the number of every X level ability increases granted.

noparlpf
2011-09-08, 02:09 PM
No, I don't think that was what I saw. I'm assuming I just saw the two PrC versions.
Are those two different, by the way?

Winds
2011-09-08, 02:13 PM
I only have the Faerun version, so I couldn't tell you.

Lonely Tylenol
2011-09-08, 02:13 PM
RADICALLY different. The Magic of Faerun version has a lot of abilities related to dealing with extraplanar creatures, while the Player's Guide to Faerun (3.5 update) has a heavy Metamagic bent, with an extra Metamagic feat and tons of Metamagic-related effects (like applying MM to charged items, Easy Metamagic, and the like). Practical Metamagic was moved from an 8th-level ability to a capstone, which was, I think, the ONLY nerf to the class.

Tyndmyr
2011-09-08, 02:21 PM
No, I don't think that was what I saw. I'm assuming I just saw the two PrC versions.
Are those two different, by the way?

Similar in theme, but radically different in practice. Both are good, but PGtF is superior.

IIRC, practical metamagic was a 9th level ability in Magic of Faerun.

There def is an epic Incantatrix progression too. And it's lovely. Game breaking deliciousness. A 20 level Incantatrix base class boggles the mind...Id homebrew it, but there's no reasonable way it'd be balanced.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-09-08, 03:38 PM
It's also possible you're thinking of the old 2E Incantatrix, which could have been its own class.