PDA

View Full Version : Synthesist Summoner or Holy Warrior?

IthroZada
2011-09-08, 04:08 PM
Hello Playgrounders, I am quite used to 3.5, but find myself in a situation where I will be playing a Pathfinder only game, which means most of my system mastery beyond core, is useless, and many feats have changed
What I wish to play, is a Gnome Synthesist Summoner, who claims his Eidolon is Holy Armor gifted to him by Cayden Cailean, and that his summons (always Celestial animals and such) are allies sent to aid him. So, he's a Chaotic Good hero, buffing himself with an Eidolon.

I should mention that I'd prefer to not make a Natural Attack beast, for flavor reasons, but I'm open to convincing.

Starting level: 1
Race: Gnome
Class: Synthesist Summoner
We will be rolling stats, so I'm just going to use the elite array (including gnome modifiers, and evolutions) here, which will very likely not represent the final stats.

Unsynthesized
Strength 10
Constitution 10
Dexterity 10
Wisdom 13
Intelligence 14
Charisma 16

Synthesized
Strength 18
Constitution 13
Dexterity 12
Wisdom 13
Intelligence 14
Charisma 16

Traits: Iron Liver and Fortified Drinker
Skills: (with 4 points) UMD, Spellcraft, Linguistics, and K (Religion)

Now, my game plan is to take advantage of size and reach, effectively going for the Slugger type in the Summoner's Handbook. The main difference being, instead of a greatsword, I will be using some sort of reach weapon. For massive amounts of reach. With a greatsword on hand for tight squeeze dungeons. I am considering going all the way to Huge size with evolutions and using a Shrink Collar (after talking with the DM) when I need to fit in small places.

My first two choices for evolutions are Reach (weapon) and ability increase (strength).

It seems my first choice of feat should be EWP (Flailpole) for a reach weapon that can trip. It feels like a terrible tax, that I don't know how to not pay, since I would need to take MWP (xxx) anyways, if I didn't.

My feat choices beyond that are narrowed down to these , in no particular order (I will very much be working on increasing Dexterity so that many of these feats can function):
Combat Reflexes
Combat Expertise
Power Attack
Improved Trip
Greater Trip
Resilient Eidolon
Stand Still

Combat Patrol + Mobility
Vital Strike chain (first two, not third)

I know there is an argument as to whether you can qualify for feats using the Eidolon stats, and that won't be a problem.

Now, the big thing I need help with, is whether this is a particular viable build, or if there is something that melds together much more smoothly for a Synthesist. Or perhaps, if there is a better way to capture the flavor of a Holy Warrior through feats, and not just roleplay. And, if I can convince the DM for a type of CG Paladin variant, (but not called Paladin because I know he would despise that), if multiclassing would be a good call.

tl;dr What is the proper way to make a Synthesist melee character, preferably using weapons instead of natural attacks, who acts divine, without any actual divine class features?

Madwand99
2011-09-08, 09:44 PM
Aasimar race makes a pretty good summoner, I'd start with that. You can even give yourself a halo, and being an outsider gives you proficiency with all martial weapons. Take features that make your Eidolon angelic in appearance, like wings and DR(evil). Roleplay appropriately. I think you've got it covered.

IthroZada
2011-09-08, 11:35 PM
Aasimar race makes a pretty good summoner, I'd start with that. You can even give yourself a halo, and being an outsider gives you proficiency with all martial weapons. Take features that make your Eidolon angelic in appearance, like wings and DR(evil). Roleplay appropriately. I think you've got it covered.
Aasimar is an excellent piece of advice, I didn't realize they were playable right off the bat in Pathfinder. Sadly, I'm rather married to the idea of playing a gnome.

Barstro
2011-09-09, 07:03 AM
What I wish to play, is a Gnome Synthesist Summoner, who claims his Eidolon is Holy Armor gifted to him by Cayden Cailean, and that his summons (always Celestial animals and such) are allies sent to aid him.

Keep in mind that you cannot use your Spell-like Ability to call on your allies while wearing your Holy Armor.

From PF SRD: In all other cases, this ability functions as the summoner’s normal eidolon ability (for example, the synthesist cannot use his summon monster ability while the eidolon is present).

You can still use a spell slot to do summons.

IthroZada
2011-09-09, 11:18 AM
Keep in mind that you cannot use your Spell-like Ability to call on your allies while wearing your Holy Armor.

You can still use a spell slot to do summons.

Yep, I've actually got the summoner rules down pretty well, despite how renowned for... not even really being finished... they are. I just am not used to making an effective melee build with just Pathfinder, or even just core 3.5.

Paul H
2011-09-11, 04:48 AM
Hi

Taking a Gnome Synthesist for the PFS campaign.

I'm going a different route to you (Blaster Caster/Party 'Face'), but that just shows versatility of Synthesist.

Remember both you and your Eidolon have to meet prereq's for any feats you're using, so Exotic Weapons can't be taken until you get +1 BAB.

If you're curious, my Gnome is
Str 9 Dex 12 Con 12 Int 10 Wis 10 Cha 20

(Small) Eidolon changes that to:
Str 12 Dex 14 Con 11 Int 10 Wis 10 Cha 22 (+2 Nat AC, Darkvision, etc).
Evo Points: Charisma, Skilled (Diplomacy)

Changed Racial Trait to Pyromaniac. Heirloom Trait:(Nodachi). Social Trait: Adopted (Human, World Traveller: Diplomacy)

So can use Nodachi lvl 1, and have +19 Diplomacy at 1st lvl! :smallbiggrin:

Going Dragon Disciple this one

Thanks
Paul H

Zefig
2011-09-13, 12:58 PM
Two potential issues, one for each build, but they might be a bit nitpicky.

For the OP- Resilient Eidolon might be out as synthesists don't technically get the Eidolon class feature, they get Fused Eidolon. This hasn't been clarified, so far as I know.

Paul H-going by the UM FAQs, ability bonus evolutions on the eidolon can only affect physical stats. I'm not sure how binding the FAQs are though.

I'm trying to be a bit more helpful and come up with viable and flavorful alternatives, but I'm kind of drawing blanks on that at the moment, sorry. If I come up with anything I'll be sure to swing by again.