PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Swashbuckle-y classes

EpeeGnome
2011-09-08, 04:56 PM
Ok, so I’m currently working on putting together a game with a swashbuckler feel to it. My problem is that I can’t go introducing a lot of new content or change game systems because that would exclude several of my players, who simply don’t have time to learn a lot of new rules. What I’m looking for is what classes should I recommend to them to keep that swashbuckle-y feel alive? There is of course the obvious Swashbuckler class, but what other options are there?

Dralnu
2011-09-08, 04:59 PM
Uhm, Swashbuckler sounds like exactly what you want. Otherwise "swashbuckler-y" is what you make of it. You can play a Rogue, a Bard, or whatever else you want and fluff it as a swashbuckler of sorts.

RaggedAngel
2011-09-08, 04:59 PM
Ok, so I’m currently working on putting together a game with a swashbuckler feel to it. My problem is that I can’t go introducing a lot of new content or change game systems because that would exclude several of my players, who simply don’t have time to learn a lot of new rules. What I’m looking for is what classes should I recommend to them to keep that swashbuckle-y feel alive? There is of course the obvious Swashbuckler class, but what other options are there?

A Beguiler can feel very Swashbuckler-y, and I'd say they're the best casting class for such a campaign. Bards, too, have a great swashy flavor.

When it comes to martial characters both Warblades and Swordsages can feel like a Swashbuckler, just with more to do. The high skill points and skillful swordsmanship seem to be what the actual Swashbuckler class was attempting to go for.

Greenish
2011-09-08, 05:08 PM
My "default pirate" is feat rogue 2/warblade X. Able Learner preferred, changeling sub level by taste.

Scout/Urban Ranger swift hunter might work, Thug can give it a shot, Daring Outlaw is born for it, rogue alone isn't bad. Bards are awesome as usual.

Laura Eternata
2011-09-08, 05:14 PM
A warblade 16/swashbuckler 4 (if you use Seduction) or warblade 17/swashbuckler 3 works rather well. Far from optimized, but nails the dashing pirate bit.

Inferno
2011-09-08, 06:11 PM
Uhm, Swashbuckler sounds like exactly what you want. Otherwise "swashbuckler-y" is what you make of it. You can play a Rogue, a Bard, or whatever else you want and fluff it as a swashbuckler of sorts.

This can be applied to pretty well any class. Give the wizard a big hat and a flashy cloak, BAM! swashbuckery. The cleric? depends on your domains but get an extra shiny set of full plate anyway.
Give balance and tumble, and maybe diplomacy as class skills to a few more classes. And rapiers in every pile of loot.

Talbot
2011-09-08, 06:49 PM
Here's a Swashbuckler fix I did a while back, which places it pretty squarely in high tier 4/low tier 3. It also doesn't use any sub-systems (psionics/incarnum/ToB/etc) or bring in any tricky mechanics; it just upgrades the class and tries to make it feel more like the Zorro/Robin Hood/Madmartigan archetype it's supposed to be, mostly by upping skills and survivability, while giving options on offense. The extra options also make it very easy to have fun with more than one in a party, as they're function quite differently; if you want a party of all/mostly Swashbucklers, this is a class that can answer your needs without anybody feeling redundant.

Swashbuckler

Hit Die: d10
Skill Points: 6 + Int, x4 at 1st Level

Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Diplomacy, Disguise, Gather Information, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Local), Knowledge (Nautical), Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (Geography), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), Knowledge (Dungeoneering), Listen, Perform, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope

Level BAB Fort Ref Will
1 1 0 0 2 Weapon Finesse, Tools of the Trade, Charm or Wit Skill Bonus
2 2 0 0 3 Charm or Wit Save Bonus
3 3 1 1 3 Insightful Strike, Debonair
4 4 1 1 4 Evasion
5 5 1 1 4 Skill Trick
6 6/1 2 2 5 Tumbling Pounce
7 7/2 2 2 5 Skill Trick
8 8/3 2 2 6 Charm or Wit Defensive Bonus
9 9/4 3 3 6 Skill Trick
10 10/5 3 3 7 Charm or Wit Improved Skill Bonus
11 11/6/1 3 3 7 Combat Style
12 12/7/2 4 4 8 Charm or Wit Improved Defensive Bonus
13 13/8/3 4 4 8 Improved Combat Style
14 14/9/4 4 4 9 Charm or Wit Second Save Bonus, Improved Evasion
15 15/10/5 5 5 9 Greater Combat Style
16 16/11/6/1 5 5 10 Charm or Wit Utility
17 17/12/7/2 5 5 10 Superior Combat Style
18 18/13/8/3 6 6 11 Swashbuckler’s Flair
19 19/14/9/4 6 6 11 Combat Style Crowner
20 20/15/10/5 6 6 12 Swashbuckler’s Synergy, Success is More Stylish

Weapon Finesse: At first level, Swashbucklers gain Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat, even if they do not meet the prerequisites.

Tools of the Trade: Swashbucklers gain ½ their class level on Diplomacy, Bluff, Sleight of Hand, and Tumble Checks. They may choose to trade any two of those skill for Spot, which then benefits from any later improvements the class grants to the replaced skills.

Wit or Charm: A Swashbuckler chooses whether to live by his wits, or by his charm. Once this choice is made, it cannot be changed. This class feature grants benefits at 1st, 2nd, 8th, 10th, 12th, 14th, 16th, 18th, and 20th level, and is the primary asset of the Swashbuckler Class.

Level 1: Skill Bonus- Charming Swashbucklers may select a number of non-Cha based skills equal to their Cha mod; they now add their Cha mod to these skills. If their mod increases, they may choose additional skills to apply this bonus to as appropriate. Witty Swashbucklers add 1/2 of their class level to their skillpoints gained at each level up.

Level 2: Save Bonus- Charming Swashbucklers may add their Charisma modifier to a save of their choice. Witty Swashbucklers may add their Intelligence modifier to a save of their choice.

Insightful Strike: At third level, Swashbuckler’s may add their Intelligence bonus as damage on any attacks using a light or finessable weapon. This bonus damage does not apply against creatures that are immune to critical hits.

Debonair: Starting at level 3, Swashbucklers add their Charisma modifier as a bonus on Initiative Checks and on saves against status effects (such as blinded, dazed, confused, etc.).

Evasion: At 4th level, Swashbucklers gain Evasion.

Skill Tricks: At 5th, 7th, and 9th level, Swashbucklers gain a free skill trick, for which they need only meet ½ the prerequisite skill ranks. They must meet any other prerequisites as normal.

Agile Charge: Starting at level 6, Swashbucklers may attempt a DC 35 Tumble check to make a full attack at the end of a charge as if they had the Pounce special ability.

Level 8:Defensive Bonus- Charming Swashbucklers may add their Charisma bonus to their AC so long as they are not wearing heavy armor, and do not have any Armor Check penalty. This bonus does not apply when they would be denied their dexterity bonus. Witty Swashbucklers may use their move action on any round to give themselves a miss chance equal to their Intelligence Mod x 10 (to a maximum of 50%).

Level 10:Improved Skill Bonus-Charming Swashbucklers may now gain Skill Focus as a bonus feat for either Bluff or Tumble. Witty Swashbucklers may gain Skill Focus as a bonus feat to either Diplomacy or Sleight of Hand checks.

Combat Style: Starting at 11th Level, and improving at 13th, 15th, and 17th level, Swashbucklers increasingly specialize in their chosen combat style. The benefits for each of the five styles are as follows:

Dual Wielder: At levels 11, 13, 15, and 17, Swashbucklers who choose this style gain Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Greater Two Weapon Fighting, and Superior Two Weapon Fighting, respectively.

Fencer: The following benefits only apply when the Swashbuckler is wielding a one-handed light or finessable weapon, and has nothing in their free hand. At level 11, Fencers gain an additional attack at their highest base attack bonus. They can only use this additional attack a number of times per combat equal to their Dexterity modifier, but are otherwise unrestricted (i.e., may add it to either a standard or full attack action). At 13th level, Fencers may choose to use their attack bonus (including Base Attack, weapon enhancements, Ability mods, and whatever else applies) in place of their armor class. At 15th level, Fencers may add their Swashbuckler class levels to any Disarm attempt. At 17th level, a Fencer, if they hit with any attack during a full attack they add a cumulative +2 bonus to the rest of their attacks for that round.

Swordmaster: At 11th level, a Swashbuckler who chooses this path may treat any sword they wield as one size category larger. At 13th level, they may apply their Weapon Finesse and Insightful Strike abilities to any sword they wield, regardless of size or weight. At 15th level, they may use any sword to attempt a Trip or Disarm, and gain a bonus on the check equal to 1/2 their Swashbuckler level (these attempts do no provoke attacks of opportunity as they normally would). At 17th level, any sword they wield doubles its critical hit multiplier. Additionally, they may now score critical hits against normally immune targets, although against these targets they use the weapon's old modifier.

Fist Fighter: At 11th level, a Swashbuckler who chooses this path gains both Improved and Superior Unarmed strike as bonus feats. At 13th level, they may substitute their Tumble or Sleight of Hand check for their AC (make the check at the beginning of the combat; if it is higher than their usual AC, the result is their AC for the entire combat). At 15th level, they gain both Improved Trip and Improved Disarm as bonus feats, and a bonus on these checks equal to their Intelligence or Dexterity modifier (whichever is higher). At 17th level, their Unarmed Strikes deal double damage, and each unarmed attack after the first on a full attack is treated as having a cumulative +1 higher attack bonus per attack than usual (so if their attack bonus is normally 18/13/8/3, it would instead be 18/14/10/6).

Archer: At 11th level, a Swashbuckler who chooses this path may gain three free Archery feats of their choosing; they do not need to meet ability score prerequisites, but must still meet all other prerequisites. At level 13, they gain an additional archery feat and may switch between their bow and melee weapon as free action. They may also use their bow as an improvised melee weapon without the usual -4 penalty.At level 15, they may use a swift action at the beginning of their turn to make a single ranged attack at their highest base attack bonus. At level 17, their ranged attacks have double range and weapon damage (additional damage from ability scores, class features, or any other source is not doubled). Additionally, they may use a swift, move, and standard action to make a single ranged attack at double their attack bonus, with double their usual critical threat range and critical multiplier, which has triple their usual range and damage (does not stack with the increased range and damage also gained at this level).

Level 12: Improved Defensive Bonus: Charming Swashbucklers learn to use their Charm to influence their opponents, making them reluctant to attack. Cha mod/day, Charming Swashbucklers gain Damage Reduction/- equal to their Cha Mod against a chosen opponent for one minute. This ability does not allow a save, but does not function against creatures that are immune to mind affecting abilities. Int mod/day, Witty Swashbucklers may force an enemy to reroll any attack roll against them with a penalty equal to the Swashbuckler's Int mod.

Level 14: Second Save Bonus: Charming Swashbucklers may add their Cha mod to a second save, or a second time to the save they selected at level 2. Witty Swashbucklers may add their Int mod to a second save, or a second time to the save they selected at level 2.

Improved Evasion: At 14th level, Swashbucklers gain Improved Evasion.

Level 16: Utility: At level 16, Charming Swashbucklers may Feint in combat as a swift action; they gain a bonus on this chick equal to 1/2 Swashbuckler level. At level 16, Witty Swashbucklers may choose a number of skills equal to their Int mod. They may now "take Class Level" on these skills (i.e., if they chose Bluff, they may now take a 16 on Bluff checks).

Level 18: Swashbuckler’s Flair- At level 18, Charming Swashbucklers may reroll any unsatisfactory roll at a +4 bonus a number of times per day = to their Cha mod. At level 18, Witty Swashbucklers gain a second swift action per round. They can use this action to take a second Five Foot Step, or they may combine this Swift action and their normal swift action to take an additional move action for the round.

Combat Style Crowner: At level 19, Swashbucklers master their chosen
combat style, and receive and extremely powerful ability that takes advantage of their skill.

Dual Wielding Swashbucklers who land four or more blows during a full attack against a single opponent may add 1/2 their Swashbuckler level to the damage of each blow.

Fencers that reach this level have mastered the art of punishing reckless opponents. Every time an opponent misses a Swashbuckler using this Combat Style, the Swashbuckler may make an attack of opportunity against that opponent (assuming they are in range) with a bonus on the attack and damage roll equal to their Dexterity modifier (this bonus is untyped, and therefore stacks with everything).

Swordmasters see their sword’s critical threat range double; this increase stacks with other factors that increase threat range, but may not increase the weapon's threat range beyond 12-20.

Fist Fighters of this level have mastered the art of staggering their opponents with a series of rapid blows. Any opponent struck by a Swashbuckler's unarmed strikes more than three times in a given round must make a Reflex save (DC = 20 + Dexterity Mod + # of hits), or be stunned for one round.

Archer ranged attacks may now ignore concealment, miss chances, and damage reduction. Additionally, when using their level 17 special ability, they may score critical hits (with ranged attacks) on any target (even those usually immune to critical hits). A target they score a critical hit on must make a Fortitude save (DC damage dealt) or lose their next turn.

20th Level: Swashbuckler’s Synergy- When a Charming Swashbuckler reaches this level, their flair and agility have become so intertwined that they complement one another perfectly; from now on, their effective Dexterity and Charisma modifiers are equal to the sum of both modifiers (i.e., a Charming Swashbuckler with a +4 Dexterity Mod and a +5 Charisma Mod would functionally have a +9 Mod for both). This bonus applies to everything except skill checks. Similarly, a Witty Swashbuckler has become so used to using his intellect to complement his maneuverability, that he his effective Intelligence and Dexterity modifiers are now equal to the sum of both modifiers. This bonus applies to everything except skill checks and skill points gained.

Too Savvy To Fail: At level 20, a Swashbuckler has such thorough command of his body, mind, and charm, that he quite literally never fails. Any natural 1s rolled by a Swashbuckler of this level are treated as natural 19s.

Multiclass Note: Swashbuckler levels count as full Initiator Levels for the purposes of selecting Tiger Claw, Diamond Mind, Setting Sun, White Raven, or Iron Heart Maneuvers. This only affects Initiator Level, and does not lead to any increase in Maneuvers Known or Readied.

Alternative Class Features: Swashbucklers may choose to forego their Wit/Charm class features in exchange for an additional Combat Style tree and a bonus feat at levels 10 and 20, or may forfeit their Combat Style Tree for the benefits of both the Wit and Charm class features, although they do not get the level 20 abilities from either Wit or Charm.

A Swashbuckler may choose to forego the level 13, 15, 17, or 19 bonus from their chosen combat style to take the level 11 bonus from another style (or 13, or 15, or 17, if they've already taken the earlier ones). In this way, a Swashbuckler could end up with the level 11 ability from all five styles, the level 17 from one and the level 11 from another, or the level 15 from one, and the level 13 from another, or any number of other possibilities. This is not a particularly powerful option, but it's available for Swashbucklers who want more versatilit

Multiclass Feats:

Debonair Rogue
Benefit: Rogue and Swashbuckler levels stack for the purposes of Sneak Attack and Wit or Charm (whichever you choose; cannot be combined with the ACF to get both). However, levels stack a 1/2 rate (i.e., 4 levels of Swashbuckler counts as 2 levels of Rogue for Sneak Attack purposes and vice versa). You may treat class skills from Rogue as class skills for Swashbuckler and vice versa.

Dashing Hunter:
Benefit: Swashbuckler and Ranger levels stack for the purposes of Favored Enemy and Combat Style (Swashbuckler Combat Style only).

Martial Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler and Martial Initiator Levels stack for the purposes of Maneuvers and Stances known (but not readied) and Combat Style. If you possess more than one Martial Initiator Class, you must choose which one to apply this feat too. You may select the feat multiple times to apply it to multiple classes.

Buccaneer:
Benefit: Swashbuckler and Scout levels stack for the purposes of all class features EXCEPT Skirmish, Wit, and Charm. The feat only applies so long as your Swashbuckler or Scout level is no greater than double the class level of the second class.

Swashbardler:
Benefit: Your Swashbuckler and Bard levels stack for the purposes of Bardic Music and Wit or Charm (whichever one applies).

Arcane Swashbuckler:
Benefit: Your Swashbuckler levels count as Duskblade levels at a rate of 1:2 for all Duskblade class features. Your Duskblade levels count as Swashbuckler levels in the same fashion.

Greenish
2011-09-08, 07:09 PM
Talbot, I hope your swashbuckler is actually proficient with bucklers. :smalltongue:

Maybe with whips too, for that matter.

Talbot
2011-09-08, 07:12 PM
Whoops. Just realized I never bothered to write up the weapon proficiencies. All martial, and all armor except heavy. It should certainly be proficient with bucklers (the Swordmaster was designed in part to make Sword & Boarding a viable option), and since whips aren't particularly broken, let's go ahead and give 'em that, too. Alternatively, let's just say they can have an ACF to switch out Weapon Finesse for an EWP of their choosing.

Greyfeld
2011-09-08, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I concur with refluffing base classes.

A Cleric can be the ship's priest/holyman.

A Wizard or Bard can be fluffed into a navigator. In the latter's case, the Stormsinger PrC from Frostburn is especially flavorful for a seafaring campaign.

Anything with ranks placed into Craft: Carpentry, or Craft: Ship (there's probably a better way to compartmentalize the second one that I can't think of right now) can easily be the ship's Bosun or Carpenter.

Hell, I played in a PbP game a while back that started on a ship, and one of the players fluffed a Fighter into the ship's cook by refluffing his weapons and armor as his cleaver, tenderizing mallet, and metal cutting board (on a rope, so he could wear it around his neck).

Fizban
2011-09-08, 08:00 PM
There's a feat in Complete Scoundrel called Deadly Defense that gives you an extra d6 of damage when you fight defensively or use Combat Expertise. If you tweak it so it gives the bonus for every increment and possibly throw in Improved Combat Expertise to raise your cap to -10, you should be able to get a decent enough return to compare to Power Attack. You're still spending three feats instead of one, and you don't have any of the other PA support, but penalty/damage conversion is close enough and you're getting AC out of it to boot. I think this would work very well for a light and/or one handed fighter.

Someone put up some fighter/monk/whatever feats a little while ago that had a similar feat, instead just giving and equal bonus to damage with light weapons when using Expertise. Either way, the plan is to just have them play a Fighter and then take the appropriate bonus feats-the only new material is a couple of feats.

For more alterations, you can bring in more dex focus. There's a class feature substitution in Drow of the Underdark for fighters that lets you give up heavy armor proficiency to get some initiative bonus and dex to damage on flat footed opponents. From Tome of Battle you can bring in Martial Study/Martial Stance and Shadow Blade without too much effort: you don't have to deal with recovery mechanics if you gain the maneuver from a feat, so it's just a 1/fight ability, and stances and the Shadow Blade feat are always on.

You could also look at the Thug fighter variant from Unearthed Arcana (available here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighterVariantThug)), which gives up heavy armor and a bonus feat to get 4+int skill points and some swashy skills.

Thug Fighter with Martial Study [Shadow Blade Technique], Martial Stance [Child of Shadow], Shadow Blade, Combat Expertise, and Deadly Defense. If you only pay for these with Fighter bonus feats, it will amount to 10 levels worth of base class, or 6 character levels if you spend all your feats on it. You'll have d10 HD, 4+int skills (though lacking balance and tumble, butyou could just DM it in), a once per fight "lucky hit", you move so fast that it's hard to hit you, you add dex to damage, and you can strike at your foe's weakpoints while guarding your own (expertise/deadly defense). It probably works best with Drow Fighter and Swashbuckler mixed in though: Swashbuckler gives you free Weapon Finesse and int to damage, Shadow Blade gives you dex to damage, Drow Fighter gives you dex to damage again when they're flat footed and a couple bonus feats to get there faster.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm just quoting builds at you instead of actual base class suggestions, but think about it: a Fighter is completely defined by his bonus feats (and maybe a few alternate features). If you add the right feats, you can make the Fighter into any archetype you want. Adding Deadly Defense with my tweak allows a light weapon fighter that has some good damage bonus (without being dex focused if you don't want to!). Allowing Martial Study/Stance and Shadow Blade (and core Weapon Finesse) lets you make a fully dex focused fighter. All you need aside from the feats is an ACF to get the skills, which is right there with Thug and a little DM fiat.

Greenish
2011-09-08, 08:03 PM
A Wizard or Bard can be fluffed into a navigator. In the latter's case, the Stormsinger PrC from Frostburn is especially flavorful for a seafaring campaign.A bard who captains a seafaring ship and PrCs to Stormsinger has forgotten the face of her father, and cast aside her birthright (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050803a&page=3).

Greyfeld
2011-09-08, 08:07 PM
A bard who captains a seafaring ship and PrCs to Stormsinger has forgotten the face of her father, and cast aside her birthright (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050803a&page=3).

Yeah, but there are some pretty strict roleplay requirements for that PrC, some of which don't apply if you're not playing around in Eberron.

Greenish
2011-09-08, 08:26 PM
Yeah, but there are some pretty strict roleplay requirements for that PrC, some of which don't apply if you're not playing around in Eberron.Strict? You're House Lyrandar, have dragonmark, they practically force you to try piloting.

And if the requirements don't apply, why worry? :smalltongue:

Psyren
2011-09-08, 08:26 PM
When I think "swashbuckler" I tend to think lightly-armored einhander-style classes. WotC got that part right even though their class failed on almost every other level. So Warblade or Magus are good starts.

Binder can pull this off too, just like almost everything else.

Yeah, but there are some pretty strict roleplay requirements for that PrC, some of which don't apply if you're not playing around in Eberron.

Write it into your backstory. They let you hold the wheel for like 2 seconds when you were a kid. Congrats :smalltongue:

Greyfeld
2011-09-08, 08:38 PM
Write it into your backstory. They let you hold the wheel for like 2 seconds when you were a kid. Congrats :smalltongue:

Correction, you're required to take a SPECIFIC dragonmark. You also have to be a half-elf.

Essentially, the PrC forces fluff on you, instead of being allowed to create your own fluff. It's not a matter of "omg, it's so hard to do!" It's a matter of being force to integrate fluff into your character, regardless of the character concept that's actually in your mind.

And if you're not playing an Eberron campaign, you basically have to refluff the entire class (assuming you're allowed campaign-specific books to begin with).

I'm not saying the PrC is bad, or inappropriate, I'm saying that it's constricting from a fluff perspective, and may not even be feasible in the average homebrew campaign setting.

Greenish
2011-09-08, 08:43 PM
I wouldn't say it's very constricting when playing in Eberron. It's consistent with the setting, which is to be expected, but if you're going for House Lyrandar character, it really doesn't restrict you at all. And that becoming a captain of an airship is harder if you're not a member of the merchant house that has all but monopoly on them shouldn't come as a surprise.

Greyfeld
2011-09-08, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't say it's very constricting when playing in Eberron. It's consistent with the setting, which is to be expected, but if you're going for House Lyrandar character, it really doesn't restrict you at all. And that becoming a captain of an airship is harder if you're not a member of the merchant house that has all but monopoly on them shouldn't come as a surprise.

You notice the bolded parts? Yeah, thank you for proving my point that it's ridiculously restrictive if you actually want freedom in creating your own character fluff, especially when not playing in Eberron.

Greenish
2011-09-08, 08:57 PM
You notice the bolded parts? Yeah, thank you for proving my point that it's ridiculously restrictive if you actually want freedom in creating your own character fluff, especially when not playing in Eberron.Outside Eberron, you'd have to refluff it anyhow.

In Eberron, it's no more restrictive than not being able to play a half-dragon elf just because you'd like to. There are other ways to gain and pilot an airship, and it makes perfect sense that being part of House Lyrandar made that easier.

Greyfeld
2011-09-08, 09:02 PM
{Scrubbed}

Greenish
2011-09-08, 09:10 PM
{Scrub the post scrub the quote}I do not feel that is an accurate or a fair characterization of my argument.

What I'm saying is that I see nothing wrong with a noble house/merchant empire dedicated to a certain specialization to have a PrC unique for them that makes pursuing that specialization easier, nor do I feel it's being "constrictive" in any meaningful sense, any more than simply playing in a given setting is "constrictive".

Talbot
2011-09-08, 09:16 PM
I do not feel that is an accurate or a fair characterization of my argument.

What I'm saying is that I see nothing wrong with a noble house/merchant empire dedicated to a certain specialization to have a PrC unique for them that makes pursuing that specialization easier, nor do I feel it's being "constrictive" in any meaningful sense, any more than simply playing in a given setting is "constrictive".

Just in case my opinion matters, I'm 100% with Greenish on this.

Kavurcen
2011-09-08, 10:22 PM
Stormwrack has a few great swashbuckley prestige classes. A fighter or rogue plus one of them makes for a great piratey type.

Adamantrue
2011-09-08, 10:23 PM
Someone put up some fighter/monk/whatever feats a little while ago that had a similar feat, instead just giving and equal bonus to damage with light weapons when using Expertise. Either way, the plan is to just have them play a Fighter and then take the appropriate bonus feats-the only new material is a couple of feats. Are you referring to the one I made (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213116) a little while ago? Expert Maneuvers [General]
Proper defensive postures can lure opponents into more vulnerable positions.
Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +8, Combat Expertise, Expert Strike, Improved Feint, Improved Trip.
Benefit: When using Combat Expertise, you may apply a bonus to Bluff checks when performing a feint, Sense Motive checks to oppose a feint, and Strength checks when performing or resisting a trip attack, equal to the bonus you gain to AC.
Special: A fighter may select Expert Maneuvers as one of his bonus feats.

Expert Strike [General]
Honing your skill has improved your offense as well as your defense.
Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +1, Dexterity 13, Intelligence 13, Combat Expertise.
Benefit: When using a light melee weapon, or one with which Weapon Finesse would apply, you gain a bonus to damage equal to the bonus to AC you gain from the Combat Expertise feat.
Special: A fighter may select Expert Strike as one of his bonus feats.

And another one I haven't quite finished yet (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214446)...

Fanning the Flame [General]
The thrill of combat, tempered by skill, fuels your actions.
Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +5, Combat Expertise.
Benefit: Whenever you successfully deal damage to an opponent while using Combat Expertise, you gain temporary hit points equal to the bonus you gain to AC. Cumulative hits add to your temporary hit point total, up to but not exceeding your normal (uninjured) maximum.
Temporary hit points gained in this way last for 3 minutes.
Special: A fighter may select Fanning the Flame as one of his bonus feats.

EpeeGnome
2011-09-08, 11:09 PM
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I think that should cover it for recommending classes to my players. Adding Bard, Rogue, Sword Sage, Warblade, and (thank you Fizban) the Fighter to my recommendations list. Daring Outlaw and Fizban's list of feat's where also helpful.

Here's a Swashbuckler fix I did a while back [snip]

That looks nice, I'll have to read over it a few more times, but I might allow this version.

Thanks for all the quick replies everyone.

Hanuman
2011-09-08, 11:15 PM
Favored Enemy [Six Fingered Man]

Fizban
2011-09-09, 04:40 AM
Are you referring to the one I made (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213116) a little while ago?
Yup, there it is. Good feats there. I initially disliked the power attack into AC one (Cunning Brute?), but it makes sense to let both sides dip into the other's shtick.

(thank you Fizban)
Yay, I helped! :smallbiggrin:

paddyfool
2011-09-09, 05:30 AM
Adding Bard, Rogue, Sword Sage, Warblade, and (thank you Fizban) the Fighter to my recommendations list. Daring Outlaw and Fizban's list of feat's where also helpful.

Beguiler may also be worth a mention. Of the manifesters, Wilder might actually work best (based on appropriate skills etc.), and you can always go with the Educated ACF to bring its effectiveness up, although Psychic Warrior has lots of physical powers that could represent just general Power of Cool with a little refluffing.

Fizban
2011-09-10, 09:11 PM
Since I just noticed it again yesterday, I'll also recommend the Scarlet Corsair from Stormwrack. A Thug Sneak Attack Fighter should be able to get in right after 5th if you want maximum speed, or you can do Rogue 4/Full BAB 2 if you don't like variants. The PrC itself gives you Improved Feint for free, then gives you a free action feint with a cooldown timer, a solid AC bonus when on a boat (which could be altered for various other conditions, like choosing a foe Dodge style or when tumbling or something), and the ability to intimidate everyone within 30'. Oh, and it keeps your sneak attack and BAB up as well. It's an excellent bloodthirsty pirate class, and with a few tweaks would also make an excellent swashbuckler class.

Feats that go well with Scarlet Corsair include Imperious Command and Surprising Riposte from Drow of the Underdark, to make everyone within 30' cower when you intimidate them and turn single feints into all round feints. You'll likely want a suit of Fearsome Armor from the same book since taking the PrC will seriously delay chances of getting Zhentarim Fighter (9th) for the swift action intimidate.

One thing to watch out for if there's a lot of sneak attacking rogues/pirates in your game: Uncanny Dodge. Barbarians get it at 2nd, Rogues get it at 4th, and it makes any ranged or feint based sneak attack build completely useless. It makes another good case for building your damage with swashy feats, but the basic Rogue and PrCs like the Scarlet Corsair are awesome-unless everyone else is also a Rogue (or Barbarian). Stunning and cowering will still work, as will flanking (Improved Uncanny Dodge takes a lot more levels so it's going to be less common), but my big fear would be 2 level dip Barbarians and anything else that knows how to sneak.

Draz74
2011-09-11, 12:26 AM
How has Factotum not been mentioned in this thread? A fantastic swashbuckling class.

Cieyrin
2011-09-11, 08:47 AM
When I think of buckling swashes, I think of dynamic environments that you jump and swing about, as well as the repartee that comes between opponents. For this, I can only think of the Elocator (XPH) and the Jaunter (Expedition to the Demonweb Pits). What better way to get the drop on your foes than being where you weren't while informing them that they fight like a dairy farmer? :smallwink:

Otherwise, 4+skill points and access to Balance, Jump, Tumble and some face skills to taste is pretty much what you need to buckle with the best. A sprinkle of Human Paragon can help make any build get that far, as well as checking Cityscape (especially the WE) and Races of Destiny can provide the flair you need to play the part.