PDA

View Full Version : Convincing Players to Roleplay

Remmirath
2011-09-08, 05:41 PM
I don't mean 'how to rope people into a game' - I'm talking about how to get your players roleplaying their characters, instead of just smashing all the doors and monsters in their path and hurrying past the other parts.

See, I'm part of a group which consists mostly of friends from theatre, and the previous campaign just ended. The guy who was DMing the previous campaign is going to be fairly busy with schoolwork this year, so I volunteered to DM the next game in his stead as I have a lighter schedule.

The problem is that a few of the people in the group are really bad about actually roleplaying. They obviously want to play, since they keep coming back and being enthusiastic - and they are actors, so they really do know how to portray a character somewhere in them. The rare times I've seen them do it, they do it fairly well. The trick is getting them to do it.

So. This brings me to what I'm looking for: suggestions as to how to encourage them into roleplaying more. The game hasn't started yet, and I'd like to have some ideas for it in place before it starts. Ah, I should probably mention (in case it affects any suggestions you folks have) that the system will probably end up being either D20 Modern or Star Wars, since that's what they seem to have the most enthusiasm for so far.

Things I've already considered: requiring that they write a backstory (I've never done this, and don't know how much it would help); giving out XP rewards for roleplaying (should be incentive, but I'm concerned as to how to make sure I'm fair about it); and of course, just giving them opportunities and gently nudging them into it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Traab
2011-09-08, 05:43 PM
"Hey guys, I forgot to write down the paths to the next dungeon. While im doing that, how about you all hang out around the campfire and chat." Then start doodling and listen in to see if they try to do it or just start talking about football or something.

EvilDM
2011-09-08, 05:45 PM
I give experience points for roleplaying.

I also award poker chips for roleplaying that players can use to change the results of die rolls for themselves or others. For example, if you have a red chip you can let a player reroll a saving throw they failed or have the DM reroll an attack that hit that player. Even min-maxers like to work for these chips.

To expand upon that, I also create a playing environment that promotes RP. Music, lighting, computer monitor facing the players that displays a picture of who they are talking to, I change my voice and personality to fit that person, props (when my players find a pouch, they get an actual pouch filled with plastic coins or costume jewelry that they get to divide, I have a collection of old keys that fit different locks, when they try to pick a lock they roll and get possible keys to chose from that might open the lock based on the roll), pictures on the wall, fake (and real) swords, shields and weapons that we use to demonstrate combat situations, etc.

Little things like never letting people sit in their same chairs each week helps mix up the group also. There are a lot of different ideas out there that work well.

Keinnicht
2011-09-08, 05:50 PM
Ease them into it - put them in situations where conversation is expected, and it can't just be resolved with a diplomacy or bluff check.

I expect a lot of the time it's just a comfort thing - I always felt really self-conscious when trying to roleplay in the first few campaigns I played.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-09-08, 06:03 PM
It can be tricky to do. It largely depends on the group. If you have at least one person who can act or is used to acting and wants a story more than just kill and smash. Work with him.

JackShandy
2011-09-08, 06:17 PM
Since most of them have an acting background, I would seriously try a different system that's more focused on narration. You don't need to do it for a whole campaign, just a single session might get people thinking about roleplaying in a different light. The Adventures of Baron Maunchausen and A Penny For My Thoughts are both great storytelling games that you can explain and play in a single night.

Also, ask players what they enjoy about roleplaying and what they don't enjoy/would like to do differently. Maybe the tactical combat is by far the biggest draw for them, or maybe there's something holding them back from getting in-character, like a fear of hogging the spotlight.

Yourshallowpal
2011-09-08, 06:41 PM
"Who is your character based on/influenced by?" is a good question for actors. It may not occur to them they don't have to make the character from scratch.

Asking about inflection, accent, and verbal/physical tics are some other good ones. Once the character talks differently than the player, RP takes off.

If all else fails: Maybe just suggest they start with a specific character they've played, and then let that character evolve organically.

I have a D&D friend who once took members of a theater troupe to a Ren Faire. She told them to just go in character. (They were doing a production of Macbeth.)

She swears they got tips.

Greyfeld
2011-09-08, 06:48 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this, but do they even WANT to roleplay? I know that you assume that because they're all actors that they should be able to roleplay really well, but sometimes this can have the opposite effect. What if, because they're actors, they just want some good hack-and-slash fun without the pressure of trying to act like an entirely different person?

It kinda sounds like you haven't even talked to them about the situation, and that's really the first thing you should do before trying/changing anything.

Yourshallowpal
2011-09-08, 06:58 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this, but do they even WANT to roleplay? I know that you assume that because they're all actors that they should be able to roleplay really well, but sometimes this can have the opposite effect. What if, because they're actors, they just want some good hack-and-slash fun without the pressure of trying to act like an entirely different person?

It kinda sounds like you haven't even talked to them about the situation, and that's really the first thing you should do before trying/changing anything.

I second this. Just note, "Do you want to roleplay more?" Is an entirely different question than, "are you enjoying yourself?" (Namely the first may get an honest response, if they're on the nice-ish side.)

theflyingkitty
2011-09-08, 08:00 PM
There was an excellent discussion about this recently in the 4E section, and certainly applies here.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213329

valadil
2011-09-08, 10:16 PM
Roleplay your NPCs. Address characters rather than players. Request that the speak in first person. Instead of "my character tells the shopkeep that's too expensive," they should be saying "Shopkeep, that's too expensive."

For that to work though you have to give them social problems. If you keep giving the players problems that can be solved by killing and then looting someone, they have no reason to roleplay. You also have to keep them from throwing skill checks at NPCs. I saw a player roll bluff to distract a guard. When the GM asked him how he was distracting the guard, the player got offended and wouldn't explain what the bluff check represented. We don't play with that guy any more.

Backstories can be great. Or they can be worthless. A good backstory will tell the GM what the character wants to accomplish. It gives the GM a ton of ways to get to the character. But people who struggle with roleplaying probably won't write a useful backstory.

Make sure that your players understand that their character is in fact a character. They shouldn't be playing themselves in armor.

I've seen other GMs suggest a 100 piece questionnaire for drawing our character information. I think that's overkill, especially up front. What I did in my last game though is ask the players one question from it at the beginning of each session. That wasn't much work for them, but it kept the character growth coming. To follow up on the previous suggestion, ask each of your players what opinions they have that their characters would disagree with.

Remmirath
2011-09-09, 01:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies and good suggestions (and for the link - I never would've found that on my own, since I don't go in there). :smallsmile:

Trying a different system isn't really an option for this game - I asked what they wanted to play, and they all want to play D20 Modern. It's an interesting thought, though, and I might look into it in future (maybe run a seperate one-shot game with the same people). My general look on things is that any system can be roleplay heavy or light, it just depends on what you do with it, but I know that some people don't like to roleplay much unless the system is specifically geared towards it.

I do already intend to set an example by roleplaying the NPCs and everything. I probably should've mentioned that before. I definitely like the suggestions for getting them to talk in first person and think things over more. I think I will also make sure to ask them what they enjoy the most about roleplaying, that should at least help me find a compromise. I also like the atmosphere idea, but since we mostly play at a table in a gaming shop I probably can't do most of it - I might step up the props, though. I'll certainly keep the 'more social problems' thing in mind, too.

I'm really not used to DMing for a group who doesn't just roleplay all the time automatically. My usual group will keep it up even through fights. If anything, it's hard to make them stop. :smalltongue:

As to the 'do they want to' question... no, you're right, I haven't talked with all of them about it - and I should. I know that one of them does definitely want to, and I get the impression that a couple others do as well, but I'm not sure about some of them. It seems to come and go with them; one session they'll be roleplaying more, the next they won't. I think I'll start with asking them, then, and work from there.

Jjeinn-tae
2011-09-09, 10:13 PM
Cattle prod... :smalltongue:

In seriousness though; seems like an interesting problem to have with actors. I'm with the group of "Making absolutely sure they actually want to roleplay." They might be wanting this as something else, sometimes hobbies just don't mesh together well. Even with the things that you would think should.

Dr.Epic
2011-09-09, 11:00 PM
Add/subtract xp for good/bad roleplaying. Also, force the players into situation that require roleplaying, and if they still want to smash stuff for fun, have consequences for it (like getting in trouble with the authorities in game).

Aevio
2011-09-10, 01:31 AM
Add/subtract xp for good/bad roleplaying. Also, force the players into situation that require roleplaying, and if they still want to smash stuff for fun, have consequences for it (like getting in trouble with the authorities in game).

Penalizing players for not roleplaying is a horrible idea, and I cringe every time I see somebody suggest it. There should never be in-game consequences for out-of-character problems. Ever.

doctransilvania
2011-09-10, 06:23 AM
One thing that makes a difference, at least for my group, is character quirks.
We have a list of random quirks: every player rolls 3 to 6 times on it, and that's it.

We roll on a list mostly because the things that make a person real are her flaws, not her qualities, and player-made quirks are mostly among the latter (not to mention unimaginative).

Here's a sample character:
she/he's too curious;
she/he's a bully;
she/he seems gullible/people try to cheat him;
she/he's always depressed;
she/he's dirty;
she/he's a nerd.

(I actually rolled them i swear :smallbiggrin:)

Penalizing players for not roleplaying is a horrible idea, and I cringe every time I see somebody suggest it. There should never be in-game consequences for out-of-character problems. Ever.
If the players, to have fun, make their characters burn a town, there SHOULD be consequences.

I've seen it happen, that's why i can relate :smalleek:.

Hel65
2011-09-10, 07:38 AM
giving out XP rewards for roleplaying (should be incentive, but I'm concerned as to how to make sure I'm fair about it);

Well, regarding this part, I've found a way to do this without creating any negative feelings (which could happen even if you're fair about it, it's all about perception) -> I give bonus xp for roleplaying to the whole party based on the performance of everyone in the party. At least, that's what I stated to my players, they accepted it and no-one had any complaints or anything like that, they seemed happy about it. I guess you could present it in a slightly different way - like, bonus xp for entertaining the GM with good roleplaying. This way, no-one should feel pressured to do this, but even those who won't join in on the RP much probably will appreciate their buddies getting some bonus xp for everyone.

Emmerask
2011-09-10, 09:03 AM

That pretty much is not possible...

If you die because of bad tactical decisions it is an in game consequence for an out of character problem (ie the problem that your players are not good at tactics), if you die because your character is badly optimized, then that is... (players not good at optimizing), add about one million other out of character problems that have impact in game here.

You can reduce the impact of out of character decisions or problems by for example not penalizing bad or none-existing roleplaying but you can never be free of out of character impact, because if you do, then it is a story you tell your players, they donīt participate anymore.

Umberhulk
2011-09-10, 12:24 PM
Ask them for a one page write up on their character. It can help them and give you ideas to tie their characters into the story.

Aevio
2011-09-10, 02:24 PM
If the players, to have fun, make their characters burn a town, there SHOULD be consequences.

I've seen it happen, that's why i can relate :smalleek:.

That's in-character consequences for in-character actions. I'm talking about penalizing a character, or dropping a house on him, because you don't agree with something the player is doing, or because he isn't playing the way you want him to.

Aevio
2011-09-10, 02:25 PM
That pretty much is not possible...

If you die because of bad tactical decisions it is an in game consequence for an out of character problem (ie the problem that your players are not good at tactics), if you die because your character is badly optimized, then that is... (players not good at optimizing), add about one million other out of character problems that have impact in game here.

You can reduce the impact of out of character decisions or problems by for example not penalizing bad or none-existing roleplaying but you can never be free of out of character impact, because if you do, then it is a story you tell your players, they donīt participate anymore.

Please read my above post.

NNescio
2011-09-10, 03:42 PM
Cattle prod... :smalltongue:

In seriousness though; seems like an interesting problem to have with actors. I'm with the group of "Making absolutely sure they actually want to roleplay." They might be wanting this as something else, sometimes hobbies just don't mesh together well. Even with the things that you would think should.

I have a feeling that this is a case of D&D Jim syndrome, (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0143.html) except substitute "Geophysicist" with "Thespians".

sdream
2011-09-12, 11:37 AM
I think you need to be careful that your mechanics encourage the kind of gameplay you want to see.

If it is just a matter of people being specific and involved, then apply a penalty/bonus for specificness:

I bluff my way past...
- No idea how -5
- something farfetched - even
- Good plan +5

This should apply to all skill uses, such as search for traps, disable traps, etc - the person describes what they are looking for, or how they go about it. This would encourage them to consider non-combat actions much more real.

As for combat, D20 already has very specific combat details embedded, and PLENTY of combat depth, although you could choose to describe circumstance modifiers.

And finally, I would recommend ditching XP. In a level based system it just encourages bloodthirstiness, or if you supplant it with Roleplaying XP, people will try to farm the system rather than enjoy the system.

Start them at level 3-5 or so and increase in level 1 or 2 at significant breaks in the story (when they beat a major obstacle and have some downtime).

Some things that discourage role playing by reducing their investment:

- If they don't like their character
- If they don't appreciate the in game goals
- If they feel they don't have control over the flow of the game
- If to much time is spent with them not doing anything

And in order some tips to reduce these:
- Give them the flexibility to fulfill their fantasy char
- Tailor the plots to matter to the characters deeply
- Be subtle and flexible with any rails, say "yes, but" and roll with it
- Keep players involved all the time:

Splitting the party is bad, (because half the party is bored all the time) try to keep them together by glossing over reasons for them to split, and playing up strength in numbers.

Make sure you ask each player what they want to do, even when not in combat.

Keep combat quick; high damage, low health foes who surrender or escape, quick transitions between actions (bonus for spouting your action instantly, a default action to do if not sure, roll damage and to hit at once), know your combat rules well.

cattoy
2011-09-12, 03:05 PM
Step 1: Make sure you're playing with roleplayers. Many so-called RPGs do a good job of supporting purely tactical play (4e for example) and players may have no interest in role playing.

Even if you reward roleplaying with extra XP or in-game resources like fate points or rerolls or whatever, you may get players to roleplay just enough to get advantages as opposed to roleplaying because they enjoy it.

JackShandy
2011-09-12, 03:42 PM
Request that the speak in first person. Instead of "my character tells the shopkeep that's too expensive," they should be saying "Shopkeep, that's too expensive."

I'm going to add a note of caution about this. Speaking in the first person can be a great way to bolster identification with your character and give a sense of immediacy. However, some players dislike it because they don't like mixing in-character and out-of-character speech, and some players are not comfortable improvising dialogue. If that's the case, don't get hung up on the first person thing. "Drogo leans over the counter as he attempts to haggle the shopkeeper down, making sure the man has a good view of the well-worn greataxe on his back" paints a vivid picture of what's going on and how Drogo thinks. To my mind, that's the end goal, and there are a variety of techniques to get there.

Emmerask
2011-09-12, 05:59 PM
I'm going to add a note of caution about this. Speaking in the first person can be a great way to bolster identification with your character and give a sense of immediacy. However, some players dislike it because they don't like mixing in-character and out-of-character speech, and some players are not comfortable improvising dialogue. If that's the case, don't get hung up on the first person thing. "Drogo leans over the counter as he attempts to haggle the shopkeeper down, making sure the man has a good view of the well-worn greataxe on his back" paints a vivid picture of what's going on and how Drogo thinks. To my mind, that's the end goal, and there are a variety of techniques to get there.

Frankly I donīt really like it if a player does so, always seems to me as if the character has some personality disorder especially when the rest of the group is completely in character during the conversation ^^.