PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Mount progression question

gcb001
2011-09-08, 07:09 PM
Hey guys im having a small problem understanding some mount progression rules.

Im playing an Fighter/Ashworm Dragoon in a campaign i just got into and (amusingly) my class build is the same as the example dragoon in the book. But when i was looking at the mounts stats there were some bonuses that i couldn't account for.

I know that as a dragoon they get more str, ac, and HD but when that happens does the creature progress further with other stats when they get more HD? The saves were a tad higher than i thought and then the poison DC was higher.

Am i just missing something obvious? any help would be appreciated.

Jeraa
2011-09-08, 07:20 PM
In general, if something gains hit dice, it gains everything that goes along with them. Skill points, hit points, feats, base attack bonus, saves, ability score increases. The save DCs for a creatures special abilities are also based on the creatures hit dice. More hit dice means higher save DC. (Usually, the formula is 10 + 1/2 the creatures hit dice + the creatures constitution modifier.)

gcb001
2011-09-08, 07:27 PM
is there a table to follow to be able to accurately calculate the right stats? id hate to get another 2-4 HD and short change its stats.

and doesn't more HD generally mean a larger creature? or would a mount in this circumstance be a exception to the rule?

Urpriest
2011-09-08, 08:59 PM
You sir need to understand monsters! Read my Monstrous Guide to Monsters (link in sig) and all will be revealed.

TLDR: They don't get bigger, that's for Advancing by Hit Dice, which isn't what your class feature does.

gcb001
2011-09-08, 09:12 PM
Much obliged Urpriest. This actually helps out quite a bit.....now i just need to do a little figuring for what my worm does over time, i think i can just get the stats down now for the future increases.