PDA

View Full Version : Ways to stack eldrich blast damage?

Titanium Fox
2011-09-08, 08:22 PM
Okay, so I'm rolling a Warlock out of my Awakened Pony (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214112) from my last thread. The issue is that he has absolutely garbage Charisma, so he has extremely poor Invocation Saves, so I'm going to focus on raw Eldritch Blast damage.

What are some different ways to do so? He is going to have 8 class levels, with two racial hit die at the time of the start of the campaign.

Urpriest
2011-09-08, 08:38 PM
Hellfire Warlock is the classic approach, seasoned with a Binder binding Naberious so you heal back the resultant Con damage.

Xtomjames
2011-09-08, 08:46 PM
SLA metamagic feats apply to Eldritch Blast and taking the feat that allows more than one Eldritch Essence can boost the blast. Unfortunately because you're only at 8th level Warlock you don't have the item imbue ability yet otherwise I'd tell you to make Dread Warlock gloves.

Greyfeld
2011-09-08, 08:54 PM
Eldritch Claws (http://www.enworld.org/forum/attachments/d-d-legacy-discussion/30571d1188932694-eldritch-claw-feat-dragon-358-eldritch-claws-feat.jpg) from Dragon Magazine lets you essentially use your Eldritch Blast twice per round, assuming you're OK with hopping into melee.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-08, 08:56 PM
Mortalbane (BoVD) gives you some extra d6 of damage a few times a day IIRC

Bakkan
2011-09-08, 09:46 PM
If you go Helfire Warlock, check with your DM about whether having the Strongheart Vest soulmeld from Magic of Incarnum would prevent you from using Hellfire Blast. If not, I prefer spending a feat on Shape Soulmeld to a class level on Binder.

The source of confusion/contention is this: unlike the Binder's ability, which heals 1 point of ability damage per round, the Strongheart Vest decreases ability damage you take by 1. This would decrease the Constitution damage form Hellfire Blast to 0, so you could use multiple Hellfire Blasts or other Hellfire abilities in a round and still have normal Consitution if you're using the Strongheart Vest.

The reason some people believe that this doesn't work is because the text of Hellfire Warlock says something along the lines of "if you are immune to Constitution damage, you can't use these abilities." Another argument that has been made is that in the Hellfire Warlock fluff, the extra damage for your Eldritch Blasts comes from you giving something of yourself (a point of Constitution) to some outside power. I believe the first argument does not hold by rules as written, since the Strongheart Vest does not make you immune to Constitution damage any more than DR 1/- makes you immune to hit point damage. The second argument relies on a very specific flavor and fluff for the warlock, which can be changed by the DM and players. Even if the fluff is not changed, however, since the Strongheart Vest is made of souls (literally), you could say that the souls making up the vest are paying the Constitution damage instead of you, so the outside powers are still getting their payment, it's just not coming from you.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-08, 10:00 PM
A (Greater) Chasuble of Fell Power (CA, MIC) gives you +1d6 or +2d6 Eldritch Blast damage, it takes a neck spot and would definitely be worth getting. Gloves of Eldritch Admixture (MIC) can add +2d6 Acid, Cold, or Fire damage to an Eldritch Blast three times per day.

War Pony (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ponyWar.htm) gets +2 Str and +2 Con, for absolutely no drawback.

Also note that the base stats of an awakened creature are for an NPC version, which gets base ability scores of 11, 11, 11, 10, 10, 10. As soon as you add one class level to an NPC, it instead gets the elite array of 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. When used as a PC race, you get whatever PC ability score method your group is using. Subtract 10 from an even stat, or subtract 11 from an odd stat, to determine what your racial ability score modifiers would be.

Edit: Horseshoes of Speed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#horseshoesofSpeed)!

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-08, 10:07 PM
Bakkan, that is a GIGANTIC can of wyrms right there,so thread carefully, besides a one level dip into binder (to bind Naberious) is perfect and works by all interpretations of Raw as you do take the damage, you just heal it almost instantly (just make sure to have an odd score in con so you don't drop in HP and Fort every time you use your hellfire blast)