PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good crit tables.

Chess435
2011-09-08, 11:51 PM
I've heard of many playing groups using homebrew Critical Hit charts, and it makes me want to incorporate one into the next campaign I run. Could you guys link me to ones you like and/or use often? :smallbiggrin:

Safety Sword
2011-09-08, 11:56 PM
I've heard of many playing groups using homebrew Critical Hit charts, and it makes me want to incorporate one into the next campaign I run. Could you guys link me to ones you like and/or use often? :smallbiggrin:

Back foul demon of increased randomness! Back to hell with you!

Chess435
2011-09-08, 11:59 PM
Back foul demon of increased randomness! Back to hell with you!

Calm down. It's okay. I'm running this game for my little brother and his friends. Chaos is acceptable.

Inferno
2011-09-09, 01:10 PM
As I understand it, Paizo sells a deck of cards that does this. Each card has Slashing, Piercing, Bludgeoning, and magic, and has some listed effect. (you draw a card when a critical comes up and if the damage dealt was say...slashing the card could read lose left arm, or some such.)
Not sure about a tables of effects though, I don't remember ever seeing one of those.
Also, I'm pretty sure Paizo's deck is not system (pathfinder) specific. So it should work with pretty well any system where the PC's and their foes have limbs to lose and bones to break.

DiBastet
2011-09-09, 08:07 PM
I can also speak for Paizo's deck. It's very good, and it evades a problem of many tables, to make some critical hits or fumbles that are more lethal than others just because they are higher on the table.

The effects are mostly "normal damage and a stat", "normal damage and a nasty stat (usually with a save)", "double damage and something" or "triple damage". Saying like this it seems really plain and simple, but there's a lot of different things.

The critical fumble deck has mostly things that either give you a minor negative stat, a major negative stat (with a save) or some ability damage or condition, with a save.

They are very good overall. Just don't gravitate towards tables that become deadlier with higher rolls.

Chess435
2011-09-09, 08:10 PM
How much does this deck usually cost?

Malimar
2011-09-10, 12:40 AM
In the $10 range for each deck. When I was looking a few months ago, the best prices I found were from Amazon. That may have changed (especially with the "they're making Amazon charge tax now" thing I've heard about in passing), so look around.

A caution: don't use these decks if you houserule away crit/fumble confirmation. If every 20 is an automatic critical hit and every 1 is an automatic critical fumble, these decks quickly start to overpower everything else in the game.