PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Dancing Chains

mykelyk
2011-09-09, 02:27 AM
My DM is having a problem with the 4th level spell "Dancing Chains" from BoVD. The spell allow a wizard to animate 1/CL chains that can use to attack/grapple.

The damaging options is pretty weak because is basically 2*CLd4 damage that is negated by any amount of DR.

The grapple option is instead very strong because use the "normal ranged attack bonus" of the caster and every chain make the check independently from each other (the enemy must succeed 15 grapple check!).

In short

PRO:
+ Many grapple check means that if the enemy isn't straight up immune (very big grapple check, huge+ creature, freedom of movement etc), he is gonna fail one of them.
+ Cool looking.
CON:
- Duration concentration means that you are locking your std action each round instead of a more trading BC spell like web, solid fog, summon monster etc.. that let you cast other spell in the successive rounds.
- The check is based on your BAB+dex+mixed attack bonus vs BAB+str+size of the enemy, for the average wizard the check is gonna relatively low.

My character is a 16 level swiftblade gish so he actually have a pretty good ranged attack bonus and a free std action each round to blow (build here (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=12345)).

I'd like to know the playground's opinion, is the spell overpowered? How should be nerfed?

My opinion (spoilered to not influence your judgment)

I think the spell is balanced, the low bonus, the concentration duration and the kind of debuff (grapple with all his limitation) means that for average wizard is pretty bad. My build sacrifice a lot to have a good to-hit and dual-actions and the spell still isn't broken good (I could use that slot for a greater mirror image instead).