PDA

View Full Version : Clarify Spell Turning

HMS Invincible
2011-09-09, 04:28 AM
Specifically, spell turning that belongs to a fighter 5, occult slayer prc 3. I looked in the archives and on the internet halfheartedly, but did not find satisfactory answers.
Someone mentioned that spell turning isn't a voluntary action so you could cast a buff spell on them. That would burn off a charge and be used back on you. I'm guessing for the occult slayer, he chooses when to activate his precious 1/2/3 uses per day.

If a spell has spell resistance: none, does that mean it pierces spell turning? Heard a rumor about that too, I'm thinking spell turning works just fine.

Lastly, spell turning says it doesn't work on spells that are aoe or have "effect" text. A lot of rays have "effect: ray" on it. Does that mean I can happily feed them orbs of fire until they're dead?

Bonus: What's a good spell or spell combo to put down a pesky occult slayer?

Douglas
2011-09-09, 09:16 AM
I don't have the text on hand to answer the Occult Slayer specific questions at the moment, but I can answer the rest.

SR is completely irrelevant for spell turning.
Yes, rays and the orb spells are completely unaffected.

Basically, a spell is affected by Spell Turning if and only if it A) has a "Target:" line, B) does not have an "Effect:" line, and C) has range greater than touch. Target and effect are generally mutually exclusive (I can't think of a single spell that has both), so you can probably ignore point B and just check A and C. If condition A is met then B should be met too.

Nidogg
2011-09-15, 05:08 PM
Bonus: What's a good spell or spell combo to put down a pesky occult slayer?

Body of war+ giants growth? or stuff like fireball or cone of cold BaSICLY, AoE spells like cloudkill and ACID FOOOOOG or uberbuff your mage and kill him in CQC