PDA

View Full Version : OOTS 'family' window stickers...

Smiff
2011-09-09, 10:27 AM
You know those stick figures people put in their car windows, with the mom/dad/kids/pets? I would totally buy an OOTS or Linear Guild version. If there were ever any for sale. Anyone else?

(I'm a big fan of the comic, and have all the books, but don't really get involved in the forum, so apologies if I put this in the wrong place, or this has already been suggested, etc..)

Dr.Epic
2011-09-09, 01:37 PM
You know those stick figures people put in their car windows, with the mom/dad/kids/pets? I would totally buy an OOTS or Linear Guild version. If there were ever any for sale. Anyone else?

Whenever I see those my initial thought is "Why would someone put the Teen Girl Squad on the back of their car?" Seriously, it looks just like them.

As for this, I don't really see myself buying them. Too obscure for most people to get the reference. That, and I hate that type of stuff: bumperstickers and whatnot.

Caractacus
2011-09-09, 04:10 PM
I don't like bumper stickers either - but then they are extraordinarily rare in Europe anyway.

However, I could see myself sticking a discreet Oots sticker inside the rear side window to cheer me up every time I go to the car in the morning... :smallcool:

Half-orc Bard
2011-09-12, 09:31 PM
yah i dont like bumper sticker like things one bumper sticker a physics teacher of mine had it was red and it said "If this looks blue you're going too fast" :biggrin:

Gullintanni
2011-09-13, 09:35 AM
I like XKCD's version.

http://xkcd.com/946/

irenicObserver
2011-09-17, 12:39 AM
It...doesn't seem very cost-effective.

Gift Jeraff
2011-09-17, 12:51 AM
Since those tend to go Father & Mother -> Children in age/size order -> Pets, does that mean the OOTS family sticker would be
:elan: > :haley: > :roy: > :vaarsuvius: > :durkon: > :belkar: > http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/MrScruffy.png > http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Blackwing.png > http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/SGdentarthurdent/banjo-head2.gif ?
Or would Roy & Celia be the parents?

HandofShadows
2011-09-17, 10:03 AM
More like

:roy:, :haley:, :elan:, :durkon:, :vaarsuvius:, :belkar:.

Steward
2011-09-17, 06:19 PM
I kind of see Durkon and Vaarsuvius as being older than Roy, Haley, Elan, and Belkar. I don't know why though.

martianmister
2011-09-18, 08:19 AM
I kind of see Durkon and Vaarsuvius as being older than Roy, Haley, Elan, and Belkar. I don't know why though.

Isn't that canon? :smallconfused:

Gullintanni
2011-09-19, 07:19 AM
Durkon and V may be older, but if the "Parents" are defined as those being at the head of the "Family", then Roy and Haley belong at the beginning of the sticker for sure.

kaptainkrutch
2011-09-20, 10:04 PM
I like XKCD's version.

http://xkcd.com/946/

That would have been so much better if there was a third car, with a man and an even bigger pile of money on it.

Blisstake
2011-09-20, 11:00 PM
You know those stick figures people put in their car windows, with the mom/dad/kids/pets?

No, I haven't heard of anything like that before. Apparently I'm living under a rock or something since everyone else does :smallconfused:

Gullintanni
2011-09-21, 06:41 AM
No, I haven't heard of anything like that before. Apparently I'm living under a rock or something since everyone else does :smallconfused:

I've never actually seen one of these stickers before either. My interest in webcomics is the only reason I've been exposed to the idea at all.

EpsilonShawn
2011-09-21, 05:00 PM
That would have been so much better if there was a third car, with a man and an even bigger pile of money on it.

You think that, do you?

KenderWizard
2011-09-22, 11:15 AM

Welcome to the future! Here, husbands don't necessarily support their wives, the way parents support their children. In fact, many women work, and some even earn more than their partner does. Sometimes, the man stays at home to mind the children and the woman is the breadwinner! I know, backwards land, right? Amazingly, the best income-to-spending ratio can be achieved by a man and one of these crazy working women both holding down high paying jobs, living together, without kids. Mad, I know, but there you have it!

Anyway, I would totally buy a set of OOTS stickers, even though those family decals aren't a thing here and I don't have a car... But I'd stick them on something!

Caractacus
2011-09-23, 04:25 PM

Well, I've sort of heard of them, but I think we don't have such things in the UK much. The US has a much more advanced form of bumper-sticker civilisation than we do... :smallamused:

Dalek-K
2011-09-25, 02:49 PM
Welcome to the future! Here, husbands don't necessarily support their wives, the way parents support their children. In fact, many women work, and some even earn more than their partner does. Sometimes, the man stays at home to mind the children and the woman is the breadwinner! I know, backwards land, right? Amazingly, the best income-to-spending ratio can be achieved by a man and one of these crazy working women both holding down high paying jobs, living together, without kids. Mad, I know, but there you have it!

Anyway, I would totally buy a set of OOTS stickers, even though those family decals aren't a thing here and I don't have a car... But I'd stick them on something!

Calm down. When my fiancee saw that post she laughed her butt off and said "Well if you skip the dating/ring buying phase then the pile would be smaller".

Haven't you heard the joke
http://www.midasupload.com/users/1/evilgirls.jpg

You must have some issues yourself.

EpsilonShawn
2011-09-27, 03:44 AM
Hey now. We're disputing that the strip could be improved by the suggested third van, and it's just not as funny if it isn't true.*

All humor is rooted - however distantly - in fact, amirite?

*Conditional, circumstantial truths don't work as well as universal ones. I'll go ahead and make the claim: universally, children of middle-class couples cost their parents a good chunk of income. And I feel confident that specifying them as middle-class is relevant because of the cars and decals present.

You must have some issues yourself.

Don't go after her mags, get your own subscription.

Edit:
Holy crap, I just noticed your signature: Pittsburgh, you say?!

kaptainkrutch
2011-10-04, 07:51 PM

Woah, assumptions, much? I wasn't trying to imply anything about women, it could've easily been a woman with a large pile, it just sounded weird to say "a human/androgynous individual with an even larger pile of money." Women make 51% of the money today, anyway.

EDIT: In other words, what I was trying to say was "relationships are expensive."

grimbold
2011-10-05, 06:18 AM
Durkon and V may be older, but if the "Parents" are defined as those being at the head of the "Family" then, Roy and Haley belong at the beginning of the sticker for sure.

also by height order the humans automatically go first

EpsilonShawn
2011-10-05, 12:17 PM
Woah, assumptions, much? I wasn't trying to imply anything about women, it could've easily been a woman with a large pile, it just sounded weird to say "a human/androgynous individual with an even larger pile of money." Women make 51% of the money today, anyway.

EDIT: In other words, what I was trying to say was "relationships are expensive."

Sure, that's what you meant, and relationships may well be expensive. Makes sense. Here are a few questions in hindsight:

Are relationships more expensive than a house? Or, let's say, a decently sized apartment on prime real estate? It's my understanding that DINKs do better.

Would "adult" also have sounded weird to say? "A single adult with an even larger pile of money"? Maybe. The fact remains that kids are the costliest for any one household to have, so I think the age comparison is apt.

But you have to accept that these days "man" is a gendered word. Has been for the past...I don't know how many centuries. I for one am not eager to try to reintroduce "werman" or what have you.

In your place I'd also complain about colored perceptions, but my complaint would have been rooted in nothing more than self-defense.

RecklessFable
2011-10-05, 03:06 PM
My "and children" friends are always joking about how I need that moneybags sticker since my wife and I have not reproduced. I have to admit, we are in a much easier position as we have two incomes supporting one modest home.

The funny thing is we are planning a trip to Disney as a couple :smallsmile:

As far as OOTS stickers. I could see more generic stickers with DnD themes working better. Too few options, especially for women...

I saw a car with sports themes on the back. Dad golf, Mom tennis, etc... I kinda just want a kit to print my own template and cut it out myself!

kaptainkrutch
2011-10-05, 06:06 PM
Sure, that's what you meant, and relationships may well be expensive. Makes sense. Here are a few questions in hindsight:

Are relationships more expensive than a house? Or, let's say, a decently sized apartment on prime real estate? It's my understanding that DINKs do better.

Would "adult" also have sounded weird to say? "A single adult with an even larger pile of money"? Maybe. The fact remains that kids are the costliest for any one household to have, so I think the age comparison is apt.

But you have to accept that these days "man" is a gendered word. Has been for the past...I don't know how many centuries. I for one am not eager to try to reintroduce "werman" or what have you.

In your place I'd also complain about colored perceptions, but my complaint would have been rooted in nothing more than self-defense.

Believe whatever you want. I don't like arguing.

EpsilonShawn
2011-10-05, 07:34 PM
Believe whatever you want. I don't like arguing.

I believed you. I think the don't-like-to-argue part lacks the right kind of nuance, so I guess that means I don't entirely go along with everything you've said. Also, I'm disappointed you won't expound, but no one's required to explain every decision they've made in the past, so I've gotta accept that you're simply not much fun.

My "and children" friends are always joking about how I need that moneybags sticker since my wife and I have not reproduced.
Have you considered painting it on your car?

The funny thing is we are planning a trip to Disney as a couple
It is the corporate all-ages Mecca. Life is not complete without a pilgrimage to Disney.

kaptainkrutch
2011-10-05, 08:17 PM
I believed you.

Sorry, I assumed that "Sure, that's what you meant" was meant to be read in a sarcastic voice. Like "Suuuuure," and that changed the entire meaning of your post to me.

I think the don't-like-to-argue part lacks the right kind of nuance, so I guess that means I don't entirely go along with everything you've said.

Again, I apologize. I thought you were trying to attack me with a strawman argument, and I didn't feel like forming a rebuttal to it.

Also, I'm disappointed you won't expound

I didn't think I would need to. Haven't you ever seen a standup comedian?

EpsilonShawn
2011-10-05, 08:47 PM
Eh, I know I could have conveyed what I'd written without including the word conversationally, knowing that it's not only a casual affirmation but a common cue for sarcasm. It just so happens that I hadn't. So I'm glad that's cleared up now.

I didn't think I would need to. Haven't you ever seen a standup comedian?
Well, see, every now and then, the TSA is going to want to pat down the magician, just because. Likewise, some comedians are going to be asked for their routines - you know, the first draft, scribbled on a napkin, dubious notes and all.

WickedWizard17
2011-10-05, 10:02 PM
I would love one of those xD I'd also like some kind of OotS charm for my bracelet. Like, a picture of the OotS walking in a dungeon or posing like they do at the end of the first arc, in enamel or whatever!

EpsilonShawn
2011-10-05, 10:17 PM
Maybe I'm an aesthetic snob, but...I have a lot of merch from various webcomics but only books for this one. No shirts. Nada. Not one. A sticker is one of the few things I would actually buy and display proudly (if I had a car). Or a lanyard. I would buy the bleep out of a lanyard. But if Rich put up a bracelet, I'd find a way to make that work too.

kaptainkrutch
2011-10-06, 12:53 AM
Maybe I'm an aesthetic snob, but...I have a lot of merch from various webcomics but only books for this one. No shirts. Nada. Not one. A sticker is one of the few things I would actually buy and display proudly (if I had a car). Or a lanyard. I would buy the bleep out of a lanyard. But if Rich put up a bracelet, I'd find a way to make that work too.

I bought the "sad d12" shirt years ago.

Gullintanni
2011-10-06, 06:24 AM
I want to buy the Origin of Beer shirt...I'm not sure I'd wear it, it'd just be awesome to have as a poster or some such thing. I'd like to have the option to wear it though, and they've been out of smalls for a while. So no dice.

Also seconding lanyard.

EpsilonShawn
2011-10-07, 12:09 AM
Decals, bracelets,...lanyards. The things we so wanna buy. Come to think of it, a post-consumer human recycling tote. The kind that's supposed to provide a third option to the dead trees and plastic bags. I think it makes a lot of sense. Surely it's been mentioned and I was simply asleep when that happened?

Going back to the window stickers, I'd like to see more than just the Order or the Guild available, such as Roy's family or Redcloak's family or Elan's dream family.

Huh. I'm not even entirely sure what that last one would look like.

kaptainkrutch
2011-10-10, 03:11 PM
Decals, bracelets,...lanyards. The things we so wanna buy. Come to think of it, a post-consumer human recycling tote. The kind that's supposed to provide a third option to the dead trees and plastic bags. I think it makes a lot of sense. Surely it's been mentioned and I was simply asleep when that happened?

Going back to the window stickers, I'd like to see more than just the Order or the Guild available, such as Roy's family or Redcloak's family or Elan's dream family.

Huh. I'm not even entirely sure what that last one would look like.

Elan and Haley with (in typical cartoon fashion) around seven children, that look like tiny versions of Elan and Haley.

EpsilonShawn
2011-10-10, 04:56 PM
Possibly, but I guess I was thinking more in terms of extended family. Or rather, with him as one of the kids and Roy as his adoptive brother. (Talk about complicated.)