PDA

View Full Version : Trying to figure out what fantasy book this was

NerfTW
2011-09-09, 11:22 AM
I remember this book from when I was a kid, so around the 80's, possibly early 90s. (maybe even later) I cannot for the life of me remember enough details for a google search. I'm fairly certain it was a young adult book, along the lines of the first Harry Potter book in reading level. Here's what I can remember:

Definitely took place in England, lots of british terms, so likely written there too.
The main character has very vivid dreams where he goes to strange worlds.
He eventually finds that he can bring things back by holding onto them.
The first thing he brings back is sand, the second a talking cat.
He dies several times in these dreams.
While playing cricket, a friend practicing his swing hits him in the head.
His head "exploded like a ripe melon" (I remember that description)
He wakes up in the morgue and walks out, at which point he is revealed as a wizard.
He has 9 lives, but he's already wasted 3-4 of them.
His "dreams" are actual trips to parallel worlds.

At this point I cannot remember anything about the plot, and only vague details about the worlds. (The cat, the sand, and that he dies when stabbed by a spear in one)

Any idea what this book was?

thorgrim29
2011-09-09, 11:25 AM
Sounds like the chrestomancy books.... http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Chrestomanci

Probably the lives of christopher chant if I remember my childhood reading right

NerfTW
2011-09-09, 11:39 AM
That's it exactly! :smallbiggrin:

The Lives of Christopher Chant. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lives_of_Christopher_Chant)

I just noticed she also wrote Howls Moving Castle. Neat!

Thank you.

H Birchgrove
2011-09-09, 11:43 AM
I read that book as a kid! :smallbiggrin:

Didn't the cat transform into a catgirl?

factotum
2011-09-09, 12:51 PM
Diana Wynne Jones? I keep meaning to get some of her novels...the only thing of hers I've read is "The Tough Guide to Fantasyland", which is awesome enough by itself...

Steward
2011-09-09, 09:57 PM
I don't remember the cat actually talking (or being female), but the rest of the details are spot on. Pretty sharp memory you got there, OP.

Hadessniper
2011-09-09, 10:48 PM
Deal lord did I love the chrestomanci books. I vividly remember reading the Chronicles of The Chrestomanci which had the first two books. My aunt took me to a book store for my birthday and let me pick out any book I wanted. After looking around for like an hour I got the Chronicles of The Chrestomanci vol. 1 because it looked interesting, was long, and was essentially two books in one.

Within the next week my middle school had some big school wide reward day where the honor roll kids got to go to six flags and everyone else got to watch movies or play games or go to the swimming pool. The bad kids who got three or more detentions in the last semester had to sit in the cafeteria for the day working and keeping quiet as a punishment. I spent all day absolutely encapsulated by the book. I felt like I had more fun than I would have if I had gotten the reward.