PDA

View Full Version : New group issues

Jallorn
2011-09-09, 01:00 PM
Hey playground, I'm looking for some advice here. I've joined a RL group here at college, and I've got a bit of a problem with another player who thinks my build is overpowered. I have two questions here, the second relating to the exact details and whether my build really is far better than I think or not.

The first, however, is the far more important one. I don't actually have a problem with another player claiming that my build is overpowered. My issue is with the way the other player is approaching the issue. She is being very aggressive and generally behaving in a way that I find insulting. Additionally, she is trying to run the game, when she herself is a player. We do have a relatively new GM, but she says that the group she used to play with frequently created far stronger builds than I have. The player, however, feels that my build is completely ludicrous. I have told the player that I feel like she is being too aggressive, but her response was that she wasn't, and that even if she was, it wasn't going to change. Any advice on how to deal with her?

Question 2: The build. In a steampunk campaign world, I have two pieces of homebrew. I'm using The Demented One's Black Rain Discipline, and the guns from Iron Kingdoms. Specifically, my character has a double barreled pistol that does 2d6 damage, and can empty both barrels for 4d6 damage. Bullets cost 10 gp each, and a great deal of time, making what I feel to be a significant mitigating factor on my resource expenditures. The issue the other player has is with my damage per round, especially compared to my attack, as well as a tertiary concern with my HPs and feats. This (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=325455) is my build. The player in question claims that 2d6 damage every round is way way too much, apparently capable of killing most enemies in a single shot (this I refute). Is she right, or is she overreacting?

DogbertLinc
2011-09-09, 01:19 PM
1--> You seem to have rolled very well on your hp, she's probably suspicious. I have done that before (suspicious part) and am not proud of it.

2-->2d6 is greatsword damage. I'm assuming there's something in black rain allowing you to add dex mod to damage, but that's still less than greatsword damage and shouldn't kill things in one hit.

3-->When I looked over Black Rain the last time, it seemed a bit wacky. Not the damage, mind you, but the lv3 (?) maneuver to shoot at max range without penalties. And my problem with this single solitary maneuver is an immersion thing, not a mechanical one. (assuming the lv<6 PCs are still not too super-human idea)

4-->No, your build does not seem too powerful, it's not like you have White Raven Tactics for two turns or anything.

Jallorn
2011-09-09, 01:40 PM
1--> You seem to have rolled very well on your hp, she's probably suspicious. I have done that before (suspicious part) and am not proud of it.

2-->2d6 is greatsword damage. I'm assuming there's something in black rain allowing you to add dex mod to damage, but that's still less than greatsword damage and shouldn't kill things in one hit.

3-->When I looked over Black Rain the last time, it seemed a bit wacky. Not the damage, mind you, but the lv3 (?) maneuver to shoot at max range without penalties. And my problem with this single solitary maneuver is an immersion thing, not a mechanical one. (assuming the lv<6 PCs are still not too super-human idea)

4-->No, your build does not seem too powerful, it's not like you have White Raven Tactics for two turns or anything.

I haven't seen anything in Black Rain that adds Dex to damage, and I certainly don't have it if there is one. My only third level maneuver allows me to reload as a swift action.

Ajadea
2011-09-09, 01:47 PM
She's complaining...because you can deal greatsword-damage from range?

I see 2 feats from an unknown source-warblade bonus feats, perhaps? I'd suggest that you label all bonus feats you've gained. Are you human? I don't know your race. That's a thing that annoys people.

Warblades have d12 hd, right? So the average HP for someone at 5th level with a d12 HD and +2 Con mod is (12+6+7+6+7+10) = 48. The maximum is (12*5+10) = 70. You're not cheating, you're lucky.

Having to throw away 10 GP for each attack hurts.

I'd say it's fair.

valadil
2011-09-09, 01:54 PM
Overpowered is relative. I've played a similar character in three different games (I don't usually do this, but the games were either one-shots or fell apart early). That character was gimpy once, dominant in another, and perfectly balanced with the third group. How does your character compare to the rest of the party? If nobody else is doing 2d6 and you're outshining the rest of them, then maybe you should hold back a little.

On the other hand some players are immature. I knew one player in college who claimed that everyone less powerful than her was incompetent and holding the party back, but that everyone more powerful than her was broken or that the player was cheating. Players like that want to be the most powerful and can't deal with it when they try to optimize and fail. If that's the case, I wouldn't play with this person.

Jallorn
2011-09-09, 01:54 PM
Adaptive Style allows me to spend a full round to reset my maneuvers known. Blade Meditation gives me (basically) Weapon Focus with the weapons of a Discipline, +2 to the associated skill, and +1 on Maneuver DCs. Both are from ToB.

DabblerWizard
2011-09-09, 02:22 PM
Since this player is acting aggressive and not responding to your comments that she ought to stop, I can think of a few ways to react.

(1) Put up with the aggression silently. That is, ignore the player, and see if she redirects her attention elsewhere. I don't recommend this option at all, it's just a possibility. You'd still be left with a nasty player.

(2) Talk to the player again. Ask why she won't stop harping on you, or why she keeps at it even when it's clearly bothering you. Ask her to stop again.

(3) Talk to the DM. The DM should limit this player's aggressive behavior. "Treat each other respectfully" seems like a solid gaming rule to have. Players who don't follow it need to be spoken with, or asked to leave. Otherwise they'll just ruin other people's fun.

(4) Make a new character / tweak your stats. This might appease the player into being calmer. But it might also make them feel more justified that they can just push you around and get what they want. I don't recommend this option either. I would only suggest changing your player if your DM asks you to, not because you're bullied into it.

(4) Leave the group. If the DM refuses to limit or kick this player, the player refuses to change, and you can't do anything else, then why put up with the misery of being constantly attacked by this player?

Randomguy
2011-09-09, 06:40 PM
Your build is fine. It's only slightly optimized. A fighter with a greatsword and some decent feats seems about as strong, and Paladin isn't exactly a high tier class. Sounds like you're just dealing with a scrub (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Scrub).

One Step Two
2011-09-09, 07:00 PM
Just as an aside, whats the relative optimisation level of everyone else in the group? Are you over-shadowing everyone? or just the aggressive player in question?

tribble
2011-09-10, 04:51 PM
It's probably that it's homebrew. THAT GUY doesn't generally like homebrew unless it's his robot ninja werewolf pirate with no LA.