PDA

View Full Version : Icy Prison Spell, Pathfinder

Gandolfi Feesh
2011-09-09, 02:31 PM
Upon a failed reflex save for Icy Prison, the target is deemed to be helpless (but line of effect is blocked for the coup de grace)

i: Would this work on creatures immune to magic such as golems, as it is not affecting themselves directly?

ii: Is there any way around the line of effect to achieve the coup de grace?

iii: What clever tricks could I pull out the bag once they are trapped inside 16" worth of ice??

Blisstake
2011-09-09, 02:33 PM
Upon a failed reflex save for Icy Prison, the target is deemed to be helpless (but line of effect is blocked for the coup de grace)

i: Would this work on creatures immune to magic such as golems, as it is not affecting themselves directly?

ii: Is there any way around the line of effect to achieve the coup de grace?

iii: What clever tricks could I pull out the bag once they are trapped inside 16" worth of ice??

1. No. If it allows spell resistance, then the golem is not affected

2. Not really

3. Wait until they die? There's really not much you have to do.

Aracor
2011-09-09, 07:51 PM
The only shenanigan I can come up with conveniently is this: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/feats/burrowing-power-metapsionic

Drelua
2011-09-09, 11:34 PM
2 & 3: Brilliant Energy weapon/arrows? I'm not sure, but it sounds to me like it would allow a coup de grace.

Gandolfi Feesh
2011-09-10, 09:21 AM
2 & 3: Brilliant Energy weapon/arrows? I'm not sure, but it sounds to me like it would allow a coup de grace.

Surely you would require line of effect to deliver a coup de grace??
Kind of difficult to chop someones head off whilst they're encased in 16" of ice :P

jguy
2011-09-10, 10:03 AM
I think he means that brilliant energy weapons ignore all non-organic material. So a long sword would pass right through the ice and slice open the neck of the guy encased in it without much problem.

Blisstake
2011-09-10, 10:25 AM
Technically that wouldn't work RAW, but it makes sense where most GMs would probably allow it. However, 16 inches of solid ice will prevent all but the longest weapons from going through.

Gandolfi Feesh
2011-09-10, 10:35 AM
Technically that wouldn't work RAW, but it makes sense where most GMs would probably allow it. However, 16 inches of solid ice will prevent all but the longest weapons from going through.

Ah, touche!! One question that has bugged me for eons, RAW?!?

Blisstake
2011-09-10, 10:38 AM
Rules as written, which often goes against common sense, or turns out to be completely unintended.

Siosilvar
2011-09-10, 10:45 AM

I think a 30" one-handed sword blade should have little problem going through 16 inches of ice (well, a normal steel one probably would, but we're talking Brilliant Energy here), so long as you "hit" the edge of the ice with the forte.

Blisstake
2011-09-10, 10:52 AM
Wow, you are completely right. For some reason, I thought the average sword was like a foot long or something... I'm completely out of it today :smallsigh: