PDA

View Full Version : Attacks, Immediate Actions & Damage

ThreeDSix
2011-09-09, 02:32 PM
Hello Everyone!!

I have a question about immediate actions which best described using an example namely:

If, as level 10 Master of Masks, I use the Gladiator mask to
1) Add the Mask's Attack bonus to my attack and consequently, hit my target

2) Use an immediate action to switch to the Assassin Mask

3) Thereby adding an extra 3d6 damage to the resulting damage roll (Assuming, of course, Sneak attack damage applies)

Is this viable? My DM said he sees no problem with allowing this, but we are both interested in seeing what the community thinks.

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-09, 02:56 PM
I would say doable, but questionable raw. If your DM says OK, then ok. It isn't overpowered and the PRC could use the boost.

King Atticus
2011-09-09, 03:32 PM
Like fouredged says, if your DM says yes take it and run.

I personally would take issue with it because there isn't any delay time between hitting something and it taking the damage that would allow you to change the mask even as an immediate action. Or to phrase it differently; the attack and the damage are the same action, you could use it before or after but not during. At least that's my thoughts on the matter.

NNescio
2011-09-09, 03:37 PM
Wouldn't this interpretation also allow casters to Celerity after a confirmed hit, as well as opening more (ab)uses for Abrupt Jaunt?

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-09, 03:39 PM
There is some support in that the book that has the feat allowing a barbarian to rage as an immediate action being able to rage between takeing damage and dieing with the hope that the extra HP granted from rage keeps you standing.

Not quite the same thing, as I said questionable raw, but close.

King Atticus
2011-09-09, 03:41 PM
Wouldn't this interpretation also allow casters to Celerity after a confirmed hit, as well as opening more (ab)uses for Abrupt Jaunt?

It absolutely would, which makes it a VERY scary idea. That extra 3D6 isn't worth giving a Wiz that much extra power.

Person_Man
2011-09-09, 03:57 PM
Regardless of whether or not it works, I think it's a terrible idea.

For any melee build, the key is usually making multiple attacks every round and adding respectable bonuses and effects to each of them, as opposed to one super attack. If you switch your Masks as an Immediate Action, then your Gladiator Mask ceases to be usable for any additional attacks.

Also, the main benefit of the Gladiator Mask is that it allow you to use every exotic weapon. You may wish to take a look at this build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633).

ThreeDSix
2011-09-09, 04:13 PM

that is true, in retrospect - Luckily I'm not playing a mage, then :smalltongue:

however, for purposes of this discussion

There is some support in that the book that has the feat allowing a barbarian to rage as an immediate action being able to rage between takeing damage and dieing with the hope that the extra HP granted from rage keeps you standing.

FourEdged Sword has a point, though.

Regardless of whether or not it works, I think it's a terrible idea.

For any melee build, the key is usually making multiple attacks every round and adding respectable bonuses and effects to each of them, as opposed to one super attack. If you switch your Masks as an Immediate Action, then your Gladiator Mask ceases to be usable for any additional attacks.

Also, the main benefit of the Gladiator Mask is that it allow you to use every exotic weapon. You may wish to take a look at this build.

Thanks, I saw that build - after I already created the first two levels of my character, though :smallannoyed:
My DM is giving me some leeway as to how the MoM's abilities can be interpreted, but he wont let me change my build (There was wine involved and a lot of fluff sicussion, but it seems I swore not to use the Factotum and use the MoM, whatever happens) :smalltongue:

Anywho, my character is meant to be the face and mouth of the party anyhow - he isn't optimized, so if I can get in one decent hit and disappear (or, run, screaming like a little girl) afterwards, that's fine by me.

Lapak
2011-09-09, 04:17 PM
I'd say no. Immediate Actions can interrupt other actions, but that means that they take effect first; if I use an Immediate Action in response to something that happens, it gets resolved before that something actually goes off. That's the whole point of having Immediate Actions in the first place. If you took an Immediate Action to swap masks in the middle of an attack and I was DMing, I'd rule that you're losing the attack bonus on that attack.

NNescio
2011-09-09, 04:22 PM
that is true, in retrospect - Luckily I'm not playing a mage, then :smalltongue:

The point is that it sets a dangerous precedent that could very well come back and bite you in the proverbial rear end later when an enemy caster decides to Celerity out of your confirmed big attack.

Mind you, that might not happen, but be aware of what this allows your DM (or other players) to do.

ThreeDSix
2011-09-09, 04:31 PM
Nuts. :smallfrown:

I wonder if my DM already considered that ... chances are he already has. :smallfrown: