PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Cast touch spell, move, then touch?

Frosty
2011-09-09, 07:08 PM
If I cast a spell with a range of Touch (like Shocking Grasp), can I cast the spell, move 30 ft up to the target, and then touch an enemy with the spell all in the same turn?

Also, if I pick my favored class as <x>, and I take <x> as my 1st level, do I get the favored class bonus even for 1st level?

Quietus
2011-09-09, 07:19 PM
If I cast a spell with a range of Touch (like Shocking Grasp), can I cast the spell, move 30 ft up to the target, and then touch an enemy with the spell all in the same turn?

Also, if I pick my favored class as <x>, and I take <x> as my 1st level, do I get the favored class bonus even for 1st level?

On the first : No. You get a free attack as you cast the spell, and if you choose to hold the charge, you have to use an attack action to deliver it. You COULD, in this case, deliver it during an attack of opportunity.

On the second, I have no idea what you mean. You're going to need to explain that a bit more. Nevermind, pathfinder - someone who knows that system better than I do should be able to answer this. And correct me if my first answer has changed.

Infernalbargain
2011-09-09, 08:26 PM
2nd question: yes.

1st: I believe quietus is correct, but I'm not certain.

Mustard
2011-09-09, 09:09 PM
1. Yes - see Core Rulebook page 185, "Touch Spells in Combat" (or http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/combat.html)

You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target. (from link above, same as the book text).

2. Edited: Okay, checked up on it, and on this one, it appears to depend on whether you consider "gain a level" to apply to level 1. I do, and I believe it doesn't make sense not to get the Favored Class bonus point.
Core Rulebook, page 31, "Favored Class".
Edit: Boom! http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/classes.html#favored-class

each time a character gains a level (including his first level)
My PDF didn't have that parenthetical, but the official PRD does.

The Random NPC
2011-09-10, 10:40 AM
On the first : No. You get a free attack as you cast the spell, and if you choose to hold the charge, you have to use an attack action to deliver it. You COULD, in this case, deliver it during an attack of opportunity.

Even in 3.5 you can cast a spell, move and then touch, as long as it was all in the same round. Furthermore, holding a charge counts as weilding a weapon and allows you to make attacks of opportunity.

Blisstake
2011-09-10, 11:12 AM
Favored class bonuses do apply at first level. While it's not explicitly stated in the rulebook, Pathfinder pre-generated characters do have the bonus at first level.