PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Meow Mix - By Bards

Cardea
2011-09-09, 08:10 PM
So I'm going to keep this very clean and simple, and hopefully get a quick response, and give whoever is most helpful a cookie.

As a level 6 Human Bard, I need to have the ability to turn into a cat. I cannot use Dragon/Dungeon Magazine. If you can find me a way, thank you. If there is no such way possible, I thank you still.

Talya
2011-09-09, 08:39 PM
So I'm going to keep this very clean and simple, and hopefully get a quick response, and give whoever is most helpful a cookie.

As a level 6 Human Bard, I need to have the ability to turn into a cat. I cannot use Dragon/Dungeon Magazine. If you can find me a way, thank you. If there is no such way possible, I thank you still.

Any cat? Including humanoid ones?

Alter Self - Catfolk should work...

Cardea
2011-09-09, 08:42 PM
Any cat? Including humanoid ones?

Alter Self - Catfolk should work...
Unfortunately, no. It must be a cat similar in form to this one (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/cat.htm)and this one (http://dellone2one.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/cart.jpg), although coloration does not matter.

Urpriest
2011-09-09, 08:48 PM
If Dragon/Dungeon (and presumably Dragon Compendium) is banned, that might leave Cat Hengeyokoi (Oriental Adventures). While their 3.5 update is in a Dragon, it's also quite obvious: Shapechanger isn't a type anymore, so you have to change that, and then looking at precedent such as Lesser Tiefling you can see that switching a race to humanoid if their ability adjustments are reasonably balanced should be enough to make them LA +0. But this does require some DM leeway.

Beyond that, partially charged wand of Polymorph?

Edit: With LA buyoff, this or Divine Minion of Bast will work.

Talya
2011-09-09, 09:10 PM
Convince a local wizard to cast baleful polymorph? (or do you need to be able to turn back again?)

mrzomby
2011-09-09, 09:18 PM
do you need to BE a cat, or LOOK LIKE a cat? can you convince your DM to let you make potions of +disguise(potion of glibness as a base to find a reasonable cost)?

dspeyer
2011-09-09, 09:23 PM
Find a werecat. Get bitten.

Cardea
2011-09-09, 09:29 PM
Convince a local wizard to cast baleful polymorph? (or do you need to be able to turn back again?)

Need to be able to turn back again.

Randomguy
2011-09-09, 10:11 PM
Get bitten by a werecat and put ranks in the control shape skill. A DC 20 check lets you change to and from animal form, as long as it's not the full moon. With decent wisdom and max ranks, that check shouldn't be too hard to make at lvl 6. You might want to go divine bard though, so you have a good reason to raise your wisdom score other than just for that one skill. You'll need to be small sized though.

You might have to actually take the LA for afflicted lycanthrope, though.

Togath
2011-09-09, 10:12 PM
The were cat or cat hengeyokai sound like the best options, werecat has a level adjustment of +2 or +3, and the hengeyokai of +0 to +1, depending on how your dm rules on it.

RagnaroksChosen
2011-09-09, 10:29 PM
If Dragon/Dungeon (and presumably Dragon Compendium) is banned, that might leave Cat Hengeyokoi (Oriental Adventures). While their 3.5 update is in a Dragon, it's also quite obvious: Shapechanger isn't a type anymore, so you have to change that, and then looking at precedent such as Lesser Tiefling you can see that switching a race to humanoid if their ability adjustments are reasonably balanced should be enough to make them LA +0. But this does require some DM leeway.

Beyond that, partially charged wand of Polymorph?

Edit: With LA buyoff, this or Divine Minion of Bast will work.

Wait how isn't shapechanger a type. Arn't changlings/Doplgangers shapechangers?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-09, 10:32 PM

Their type is monstrous humanoid (shapechanger). Although I think changelings are humanoid (changeling).

Jjeinn-tae
2011-09-09, 10:34 PM

Subtype, changelings at least are Humanoid (Shapechanger).

etrpgb
2011-09-10, 06:48 AM
Arcane Disciple (Trasformation) would give you Polymorph and Baleful Polymorph. But as level 5 and 6 spell.

Talya
2011-09-10, 09:25 AM
Arcane Disciple (Trasformation) would give you Polymorph and Baleful Polymorph. But as level 5 and 6 spell.

Easier to UMD a wand.

etrpgb
2011-09-10, 11:01 AM
I thought wands could keep only level 0-4 spells, not 5. But the idea is fine, just use a scroll. You need a success of Use Magic Device of 30, if you do not have time problems just take 20.

Talya
2011-09-10, 11:05 AM
I thought wands could keep only level 0-4 spells, not 5. But the idea is fine, just use a scroll. You need a success of Use Magic Device of 30, if you do not have time problems just take 20.

Polymorph is a level 4 spell.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm

Can't take 20 on using a charged or expendable item, either, as there are consequences for failure.

etrpgb
2011-09-10, 11:11 AM
For the fact that if you roll a natural 1 you cannot try again for 24 hours? Interesting....

skycycle blues
2011-09-10, 11:17 AM
You can't even take 10 on a UMD check.

etrpgb
2011-09-10, 11:24 AM
The UMD rules states you cannot take 10, but states nothing about taking 20. Lets not confound. Take 10 and take 20 are different action with different meaning and effects. One is doing the thing calmly but with knowledge, the other is try and try.

But Talya has point since a natural one DO have an negative effect (you cannot try again for 24 hours) you cannot take 20 as the general rule.
I forgot that particular I was only remembering ``you can try as much as you like...'' and I forgot the 1 thingy.

About the OP topic, polymorph is the solution. Either a wand or a scroll and UMD. If it is critical you can add the spell to your list using Arcane Disciple (Transformation).

Randomguy
2011-09-10, 12:25 PM
What about Arcane disciple (transformation) and a scroll or staff of polymorph? If it's on your spell list it shouldn't be too hard to UMD.

etrpgb
2011-09-10, 01:01 PM
If it is in the list you do not need UMD at all...

About cheesyness, what about taking a level in Cloistered Cleric (Domains: Knowledge, XXXX, Magic)? You can now use all the scroll, wands from Wizards, Clerics and, of course, Bards. The last domain is up to you, Time is always a good choice because it gives Improved Initiative.

Keld Denar
2011-09-10, 02:12 PM
If it wasn't for the natural 1 thing, you could take 20 on a wand of polymorph, but it would cost you 20 charges...

Telonius
2011-09-10, 04:11 PM
Hmmm... isn't there some spell or ability that allows you to see through the eyes of, and/or talk through, your familiar? Acquire Familiar feat to get a cat familiar, in that case. It's not actually you, but might as well be you.

The Cat Goddess
2011-09-10, 05:10 PM
You can't even take 10 on a UMD check.

There is one way to do so... (it's a secret...)

Thurbane
2011-09-10, 06:23 PM
As others have pointed out, in 3.5 Shapechanger is a subtype. Back in 3.0, however, it was a type.

skycycle blues
2011-09-10, 08:37 PM
There is one way to do so... (it's a secret...)

Being a Warlock. Are there other ways?

Keld Denar
2011-09-10, 10:22 PM
Artificer gets it too.

Also, the Magical Savant spell in Complete Mage gives you a +4 insight bonus and allows you to take 10. Its a Bard2 spell, I'm not sure if its on the wizard list as well, I'm AFB.

So that's 3.

etrpgb
2011-09-11, 07:33 AM
If it wasn't for the natural 1 thing, you could take 20 on a wand of polymorph, but it would cost you 20 charges...

Citation needed.

Keld Denar
2011-09-11, 01:13 PM
Taking 20 means you are trying until you get it right, and it assumes that you fail many times before succeeding. Taking 20 takes twenty times as long as making a single check would take.

Trying until you get it right = activating it 20 times.

Actually, wait...a failed activation doesn't cost a charge, does it?

Talya
2011-09-11, 01:20 PM
Trying until you get it right = activating it 20 times.

Actually, wait...a failed activation doesn't cost a charge, does it?

not for a wand, no, but a natural 1 definitely prevents you from trying again for 24 hours, thus preventing you from taking 20.

Also, using UMD on a scroll can use up the scroll and cause a mishap.