PDA

View Full Version : Alternate origins for changelings?

Sir_Chivalry
2011-09-09, 08:28 PM
It occured to me today, while stirring the black beans. I thought to myself "Changelings come from Doppelgangers". Then I realized that Doppelgangers aren't the only monsters who do what they do. And changelings don't have much in the way of specific racial abilities besides shapechanging and being good socially.

So, in a given world, would it be fair to make changelings descended from rakshasas, succubi, or other creatures with innate shapechanging and thouht detection (to maintain the connection to cabinet trickster)?

If so, would any changes need to be made to the race crunch-wise (obviously fluff wise they wouldn't look like humanoid grey blobs)

Tvtyrant
2011-09-09, 08:30 PM
Well you could pinhole their alignment if you really wanted to, but as is their crunch would be just fine. Maybe give them some sort of temporary flying option if their progenitor flew.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-09-09, 08:32 PM
Well you could pinhole their alignment if you really wanted to, but as is their crunch would be just fine. Maybe give them some sort of temporary flying option if their progenitor flew.

But it would be decent, like having them be descended from the monsters I mentioned wouldn't be outrageous?

Dreadn4ught
2011-09-09, 08:33 PM
You could add some minor abilities related to their ancestors, but nothing game-changing.

Greenish
2011-09-09, 08:35 PM
Yeah, there's no particular reason why changelings should be descendants of one shape-shifting monster and not the other. Sure, most other monsters aren't defined by their shapechanging, but who knows how fantasy genetics work?

[Edit]: And if you felt they could use some other traits inherited from their ancestors, well, it won't break them to add something extra.

Acanous
2011-09-09, 08:39 PM
well, you could always have a changeling with abyssal heritor feats, if you want a succubus-ling.
Fluff wise, it all works fine.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-09-09, 09:02 PM
well, you could always have a changeling with abyssal heritor feats, if you want a succubus-ling.
Fluff wise, it all works fine.

That's a fair suggestion. Hrrrm, what to do in the case of a rakshasa-ling

Darthteej
2011-09-09, 09:33 PM
That's a fair suggestion. Hrrrm, what to do in the case of a rakshasa-ling

Detect Thoughts once per day?

Kol Korran
2011-09-10, 09:58 AM
or possibly x times/day ability to have DR 2 or 3/good for several rounds? or perhaps a few minor cantrips they can cast a limited number of times per day?

Eldan
2011-09-10, 10:02 AM
I would, perhaps, change their natural forms a bit, though. Instead of formless and grey, they could be furry and clawed, or demonic.

Greenish
2011-09-10, 02:00 PM
I would, perhaps, change their natural forms a bit, though. Instead of formless and grey, they could be furry and clawed, or demonic.I think that's covered already. :smalltongue:

(obviously fluff wise they wouldn't look like humanoid grey blobs)