PDA

View Full Version : DC on Polymorph any Object

Yeturs
2011-09-10, 02:27 AM
So. Im working on a skill based casting system for a Harry Potter system. Im trying to rework polymorph any object into a skill check. I want this to be doable for low casters in a limited range, but harder for more experienced casters to transmute more complex objects and bigger things.

This is what i have so far. Any feedback would be awesome, and i fear i have made this far to complicated.

Transmutation spells

Transmute:

This spell changes the physical properties of an object or a creature. A rat into a goblet, a troll into a wall, or lead to gold.

This spell is a special case. It is not its own spell, but rather a general compilation of transmutation spells. In short, it is a check to recall the proper spell for the job and use it. This “Spell” has many variables, from complexity to size to animation, many things factor in to how hard this spell is to cast. This “Spell” also has a time multiplier, based on complexity.

An object or creature to be animated has a base dc based on size.

Size
Base DC
-----------------------
------------
Fine
Diminutive
Tiny
Small
Medium
Large
Huge
Gargantuan
Colossal

A modifier is placed on the target due to its complexity

Complexity
DC Modifier
Duration Modifier
-------------------------------------------------------
-----------

Not complex (A teacup) +0 hours/cl

Little complexity (A pencil or cloth) +5 DC hours/2CL

Moderate complexity (Something with few moving parts) +10 DC Hour/5CL

High complexity (A set of manacles with locks) +15 DC Minutes/CL

Extreme complexity (A clock) +20DC Minutes/2CL

The animation of an object is important, both before and after the spell is cast. If a target matches the animation of what it will be transmuted into, there is no modifier. If you change the animation of an object, there is a +5 to the DC of the check.

If the value of an object changes to become more valuable, the duration is halved and the DC is increased by 5. (DM discretion)