PDA

View Full Version : Ironclad (2011 film)

Jeivar
2011-09-10, 10:06 AM
I'm thinking of seeing this one (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1233301/) tonight, purely because I'm in the mood for sword fights. Can someone tell me how it is? All I know is that the director's two previous films have terrible ratings and this one has an almost okay one.

H Birchgrove
2011-09-10, 10:21 AM
Here I thought it would be an adaptation of H.G. Wells short story The Land Ironclads (about "future" use of combined tanks/APC's), or alternatively a film about armoured ships.

Ricky S
2011-09-10, 12:16 PM
Its not a brilliant film but it isnt terrible either. I enjoyed the fighting quite a bit. There wasnt much in the way of plot but the action was good. If you are looking for some sword fighting then this will work for you.

otakuryoga
2011-09-10, 12:57 PM
that looks pretty decent...how the bleep have i not heard of it until just now?

comicshorse
2011-09-10, 05:51 PM
that looks pretty decent...how the bleep have i not heard of it until just now?

Cause its a very small scale british film, that got practically no publicity.

Its not bad. Good acting, great cast, nice background and I loved the fight between the hero with the two-handed sword and the Dane leader with the two handed battle axe.

It does over-do the odds the good guys face to the point of riduculousness IMHO but that could be because they couldn't afford the actors to bulk out the good guys side

Greensleeves
2011-09-11, 10:31 AM
It's ok. The sword fighting is indeed pretty good, there's even some half-swording and I think a murder strike as well. Plot is weak, but Paul Giamatti is really, really hammy in some scenes which is delightful to see.

In my opinion, Solomon Kane is a better film with the same lead and that has some pretty decent fights as well.

Yora
2011-09-11, 11:03 AM
And I was hoping for retro warships. :smallfrown:

Ravens_cry
2011-09-12, 02:16 PM
And I was hoping for retro warships. :smallfrown:
Watch Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World for some good pre-steam warships.

Ricky S
2011-09-13, 08:59 AM
Watch Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World for some good pre-steam warships.

Or the Hornblower series.