PDA

View Full Version : Stand in mid-air w/o fly speed?

Getsugaru
2011-09-10, 01:05 PM
Title is self explanatory. A friend of mine wants his character to be able to stand in mid-air like the air is solid without having a fly speed "like the guys in Bleach do all the time." He's going to be level 5 when he joins our group, but he's okay if he has to wait a bit before he can do it.

Any suggestions?

Inferno
2011-09-10, 01:17 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/airWalk.htm
Does this do what you want?

Private-Prinny
2011-09-10, 01:25 PM
The first thing that comes to mind is the Air Walk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/airWalk.htm) spell. If he's a Cleric or Druid (or has some way of accessing the Air domain), then he can start casting it at level 7.

If he's not a spellcaster, then he can make an item that does it for him. If it was constantly activated, the price would be (4*7*2000)*1.5, or 84,000 GP. There are a few ways to mitigate that. If he used a command word instead, it would be 75,600. With a command word and a cap of 3/day, it would cost 45,360. Mind you, this is still incredibly expensive (slightly more than half the budget of a 12th level character), so I'd personally try to steer him towards being a caster.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-10, 01:36 PM
Psionic Levitate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/levitatePsionic.htm) a psion/wilder/psychic warrior 2 level power which would work perfectly

Necroticplague
2011-09-10, 01:42 PM
Their is a feat that allows you to qualify for things as if you had a flight speed, even if you don't (I think it was called Born Flyer or something similar). Once you take that, you qualify for Hover, which allows you to stay in the air. Now the only problem is getting up their in the first place.

Getsugaru
2011-09-10, 01:42 PM
He wants to be melee focused, and I barely was able to convince him to not be a primary Monk. Now he's looking at a Scout5/Ninja Spy10/Ghostwalker5.

Circle of Life
2011-09-10, 01:43 PM
Balance on clouds? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#balance)

Doesn't come online for a great long while though.

grarrrg
2011-09-10, 05:40 PM
Elocater (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/elocater.htm)can freely hover above the ground with no need for spells or items.

Has tricky pre-reqs, but 'can' be entered as early as level 6.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-10, 05:43 PM
He wants to be melee focused, and I barely was able to convince him to not be a primary Monk. Now he's looking at a Scout5/Ninja Spy10/Ghostwalker5.

Cleric. DMM: Persist Divine Power. Air Walk.

Thurbane
2011-09-10, 07:07 PM
Boots of Levitation?

Turion
2011-09-10, 08:09 PM
Tashalatora Monk 1/Psychic Warrior 4 with Psionic Levitate? That's pretty melee focused, and can have a Bleachy feel to it.

Getsugaru
2011-09-10, 08:49 PM
Elocater (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/elocater.htm)can freely hover above the ground with no need for spells or items.

He wants to be standing/running in the sky; Elocater can only float 1 foot above the ground w/o suffering penalties.

Cleric. DMM: Persist Divine Power. Air Walk.

I guess I probably should have said this before.
Our Party:

Elf Arcane Ranger 5 (Arcane Ranger Variant) Plans to be an Arcane Archer
Human Bard 5 (Don't remember what he plans to do)
Changling Rogue 5 (possibly going to take Chameleon)
Warforged don't remember class at the moment (when I do, I'll update this post)
Shadow Fox Hengenyoki Wujen 4 (Oriental Adventures Version)
Empty Spot
I should mention that my DM has decided that I could give up 2 spell secrets to instead have access to a single other class's spell list and be able to put them in my spellbook (I chose Archivist, he allowed it:smallbiggrin:).

Getsugaru
2011-09-10, 08:51 PM
Accidentally posted it twice.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-10, 09:15 PM
Well, it turns him into an NPC warrior with a higher strength score and an extra few HP that can't be healed. He still has the rest of his spells, I guess, but if he's going for anime/manga, he'll probably want things like Silent Still Bear's Endurance (he makes himself tougher by concentrating REALLY HARD), and Silent Still healing spells (he becomes less tired by concentrating REALLY HARD).

DonEsteban
2011-09-11, 04:09 AM
Just homebrew something.

Boots of levitation - Levitate at will (he doesn't want that!) - 7500
Winged Boots - 5/day fly for 5 minutes - 16000
Winged vest - 5/day fly for 5 rounds - 12000
Cloak of the bat - fly (7 minutes, unlimited times per night) - 26000
Wings of flying - permanent fly - 56000
Cloudwalker anklets - permanent air walk - 50000

Runestar
2011-09-11, 04:13 AM
There's a shadow hand stance which does just that, but can't recall the lv offhand, 5th? Meaning he would need to be a 9th lv swordsage?

Zaq
2011-09-11, 04:36 AM
There's a shadow hand stance which does just that, but can't recall the lv offhand, 5th? Meaning he would need to be a 9th lv swordsage?

Balance on the Sky. It's an 8th level stance, so your Swordsage IL has to be at least 15. Probably not viable in this case.

Private-Prinny
2011-09-11, 09:33 AM
I should mention that my DM has decided that I could give up 2 spell secrets to instead have access to a single other class's spell list and be able to put them in my spellbook (I chose Archivist, he allowed it:smallbiggrin:).[/SPOILER]

I will point out that the Archivist Spell List contains exactly 0 spells. It cribs all of its spells off of other Divine classes.

Getsugaru
2011-09-11, 10:24 AM
I will point out that the Archivist Spell List contains exactly 0 spells. It cribs all of its spells off of other Divine classes.

My DM ruled that the Archivist spell list is actually all divine spells, but that until I reached a certain level, like an Archivist, I'd only have Cleric divine spells. He allowed it only because the Archivist uses a spellbook too. Luckily, the mansion we're about to clean of Gnolls is owned by a Wizard with a vast collection of tomes, and he's sending us in because of three things:
1. He kind of dropped his spellbook in his library when the Gnolls attacked.
2. His familiar was badly injured and he's trying to heal it.
3. The Gnolls need to be cleared out quickly before they activate one of the Wizard's golems because many of them are incomplete and would go on a rampage, destroying the nearby town. He also mentioned a Nimblewright under his breath (Listen check 15)...:smallamused:

TwylyghT
2011-09-11, 10:46 AM

not to mention 10' foot steps and dim-door fit the flash step flavor quite well too.

Prime32
2011-09-11, 12:13 PM
He wants to be standing/running in the skyAnd how would this be mechanically different from flying? Raptoran or dragonborn is the easiest way to pick it up.

Getsugaru
2011-09-11, 02:17 PM
And how would this be mechanically different from flying? Raptoran or dragonborn is the easiest way to pick it up.

He doesn't want wings or to have to deal with fly checks. That, and he's taking a Character Trait Twice (DM Okay'd it) plus some other stuff to have a base land speed of about 75ish. Also, he's decided on being either a Poison Dusk Lizardfolk, a Human, or (for some reason) an Elan. He's also allowed one template (he's refused all winged templates).

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-11, 02:25 PM
Is this for a pathfinder game? Because in D&D there are no fly checks...

Morph Bark
2011-09-11, 02:36 PM
I should mention that my DM has decided that I could give up 2 spell secrets to instead have access to a single other class's spell list and be able to put them in my spellbook (I chose Archivist, he allowed it:smallbiggrin:).

He does know the Archivist doesn't have a spell list, right?

Prime32
2011-09-11, 03:00 PM
Talk to the DM and get him to change the name of the white dragonspawn template and Hover feat to "guy who can walk on air" and "guy who performed a ritual to let him walk on air".

He can now stand still in the air or walk in any direction at his land speed.

Mephibosheth
2011-09-11, 03:11 PM
I know it still grants a fly speed, mechanically, but what about the Airstep Sandals soulmeld (Magic of Incarnum, p. 55)? He would get 10 feet of movement through the air (plus whatever he can gain by investing essentia) with good maneuverability, all fluffed as walking on air (there's even a picture on p. 65!). He could get access with a single incarnate dip or the shape soulmeld feat. 4 levels of incarnate or the open least chakra feat would get him access to his feet chakra and improve his maneuverability to perfect, making it even more like walking on air. He would have to land at the end of each turn, but otherwise it seems like a good fit. And once again, although the mechanic of it is a fly speed, everything about the fluff says "walking on air." He could shape the soulmeld as early as level 1 and have the chakra bind as early as level 4 (if he goes the incarnate route) or level 6 (if he goes the feat route).

Getsugaru
2011-09-11, 03:25 PM
He wants to not have a fly speed because of his crazy high base land speed.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-11, 03:27 PM
I still say cleric with Air Walk. DMM: Persisted Air Walk and DMM: Persisted Divine Power.

Morph Bark
2011-09-11, 03:30 PM
DMM: Persisted Air Walk and DMM: Persisted Divine Power.

DMM: Persisted Air Walk I could see working perfectly and perhaps being allowed by the DM. DMM: Persisted Divine Power not, considering the party line-up. The highest-Tier character in there is a Wu Jen, and that one is Tier 2 or 3.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-11, 03:34 PM
DMM: Persisted Air Walk I could see working perfectly and perhaps being allowed by the DM. DMM: Persisted Divine Power not, considering the party line-up. The highest-Tier character in there is a Wu Jen, and that one is Tier 2 or 3.

He's an NPC warrior with a higher strength score. I don't see him as the type to use any overt spells, if he wants to be a warrior, more of a self-buffer.

Morph Bark
2011-09-11, 03:42 PM
He's an NPC warrior with a higher strength score. I don't see him as the type to use any overt spells, if he wants to be a warrior, more of a self-buffer.

I'm curious where you're gathering from that this is supposed to be about an NPC.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-11, 03:55 PM
I'm curious where you're gathering from that this is supposed to be about an NPC.

NPC class.

Getsugaru
2011-09-11, 04:05 PM
NPC class.

What do you mean?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-11, 04:12 PM
What do you mean?

This (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/npcClasses/warrior.htm).

Morph Bark
2011-09-11, 04:18 PM
Swiftmongoose is going to need to explain his chain of reasoning some more to me as to how he arrives to the conclusion that DMM Persist Cleric = Warrior.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-11, 04:20 PM
Swiftmongoose is going to need to explain his chain of reasoning some more to me as to how he arrives to the conclusion that DMM Persist Cleric = Warrior.

Full BAB. D8 hit die. Good fortitude and will saves. He's not a superpowered frontliner. I'm guessing he's not going to use overt spells because he wants to be a fighter, so it's just buffs and heals.

Prime32
2011-09-11, 04:45 PM
He wants to not have a fly speed because of his crazy high base land speed.There are plenty of ways to get a fly speed based on your land speed, including the white dragonspawn one I mentioned and a phoenix cloak (though the latter is expensive).

Getsugaru
2011-09-11, 04:46 PM
Just spoke to him again. Asked what his character's theme was. "A very Fast & Mobile Tank" were his exact words. Also wants to be stealthy.

Prime32
2011-09-11, 05:50 PM
Just spoke to him again. Asked what his character's theme was. "A very Fast & Mobile Tank" were his exact words. Also wants to be stealthy.By "tank" does he want to keep enemies occupied (to protect his partymates) or be hard to kill?
EDIT: White dragonspawn would also let you pick up Entangling Exhalation to freeze enemies in place. That's pretty useful for the former.

I suggest something like Elusive Target. Oh, and a lion totem barbarian dip is essential so he can actually attack while being mobile.

Getsugaru
2011-09-11, 06:01 PM
By "tank" does he want to keep enemies occupied (to protect his partymates) or be hard to kill? I'd suggest something like Elusive Target.

Both. Also, he decided he wants to go Scout5/Ninja Spy10/Ghostwalker5.

Just checked out Elusive Target. I'll suggest it to him.

EDIT: Feel like mentioning this: The Wu Jen has had Miser with Magic since level 1 and has a really high spellcraft check. Also has a Hummingbird Familiar thanks to the Obtain Familiar feat. :smalleek:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-11, 06:11 PM
Both.

First one is nearly impossible if all the enemies can walk past him while suffering at most an AoO, then target the weaker guys.

One idea is just Cleric 7/full BAB class X. That gets you both Air Walk and Divine Power for persisting. If you don't have a bonus spell from 16+ wisdom, than Air or War domain can get you one of those spells from the domain slot (it doesn't say it can't be metamagic'd).

Edit: the Wu Jen's stingy with his magic? Just use one or two spell slots per encounter. You can afford that at this level.

SowZ
2011-09-12, 12:23 AM
The first thing that comes to mind is the Air Walk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/airWalk.htm) spell. If he's a Cleric or Druid (or has some way of accessing the Air domain), then he can start casting it at level 7.

If he's not a spellcaster, then he can make an item that does it for him. If it was constantly activated, the price would be (4*7*2000)*1.5, or 84,000 GP. There are a few ways to mitigate that. If he used a command word instead, it would be 75,600. With a command word and a cap of 3/day, it would cost 45,360. Mind you, this is still incredibly expensive (slightly more than half the budget of a 12th level character), so I'd personally try to steer him towards being a caster.

Then he can reduce it to 34K by making it only usable by Scouts.

candycorn
2011-09-12, 02:02 AM
To be honest, ninja and scout are poor representations of BLEACH. Virtually every one of the prominent soul reapers/bounts/hollows/etc have abilities that are only representable by magic.

Let's see: Most Bankai - Summon spell, or perhaps massive AoE.
For example: Poison? Cloudkill
Flash Step? Dimension Door
Getsugatensho? Whirling Blade among others
Paralyzation? Hold Person, Shivering Touch
Blindness Sphere? Blacklight + Silence

There are others, but casting ability is something that would make the character feel much more Bleachy. In fact, duskblade's channeling ability is very good for it, with possibly Legacy Weapon Champion.

Morph Bark
2011-09-12, 02:08 AM
To be honest, ninja and scout are poor representations of BLEACH. Virtually every one of the prominent soul reapers/bounts/hollows/etc have abilities that are only representable by magic.

There's also maneuvers with which you can represent a great deal of it, but in this case the player doesn't want the whole package and is just aiming for one specific ability they all have.

TwylyghT
2011-09-12, 07:53 AM

Let's see: Most Bankai - Summon spell, or perhaps massive AoE.
For example: Poison? Cloudkill
Flash Step? Dimension Door
Getsugatensho? Whirling Blade among others
Paralyzation? Hold Person, Shivering Touch
Blindness Sphere? Blacklight + Silence

There are others, but casting ability is something that would make the character feel much more Bleachy. In fact, duskblade's channeling ability is very good for it, with possibly Legacy Weapon Champion.

Don't forget the undefeatable "Infinite Slick"!! Grease :smallbiggrin:

Getsugaru
2011-09-12, 05:09 PM
Just talked to the DM. Though he said no Tome of Battle originally, he'll allow it up to level 5. He also (previously) said that Prestige Classes that require Evasion or Uncanny Dodge can be interchangeable. So now I need to know some maneuvers that'd be good for his "Bleach/Anime" character. Any suggestions?

Prime32
2011-09-12, 06:09 PM
Just talked to the DM. Though he said no Tome of Battle originally, he'll allow it up to level 5. He also (previously) said that Prestige Classes that require Evasion or Uncanny Dodge can be interchangeable. So now I need to know some maneuvers that'd be good for his "Bleach/Anime" character. Any suggestions?ToB doesn't represent Bleach very well. Bleach characters have straightforward, spammable powers - they mostly just hit things with the same attack over and over until they die, unless they're spellcasters. That's the default assumption for D&D classes, and the entire point of ToB was to move away from it.

Ichigo himself would be best represented by a Whirling Frenzy barbarian with the dragonborn (breath) template and the Maximise Breath feat. Or maybe a psychic warrior or ardent if you want Flash Step.