PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Please help: Roleplay advice: Bard

Krazzman
2011-09-10, 02:26 PM
Hello Again folks,

after talking to my DM for the upcomig game, I've got a question on how could I possibly play my Character to let him qualify for the Bard.

The Setting:

We want to play eberron. We will start as level 0 characters to get a bit more feeling for our characters and we don't play sheme b chars that just popped up in the world. It sounds fun, but since I would like to play a Bard for the first time, I'm a bit confused.

The Char:

Human Arcane Duelist Bard going to be a Dragon Disciple. (can somebody tell me a reason where this could be problematic in eberron? Our players are fairly new to Eberron but our DM read a lot about it, and looked a bit... jeah weird.) 1st Level feats will probably be Weapon Profecy Nodachi (since traits are completely banned) + Toughness/Dodge/Powerattack (not quite sure about that).

The problem:

So the main problem is we will be starting in a desolate small village completely isolated from the rest of the world. The only religional part is a reaaaaaaally old priest that spreads the word of the silver flame (probably not even level 1 cleric). So my problem is, how do I play it out to train the Bardic Artistical skills + the wielder of arcane techniques + the arcane duelling? I'm completely lost how to weave a backstory with that.

My Idea:

My first impression was: The family of my Bard is descended from a Dragon (Probably Brass, Bronze, Silver or if it has to be Gold) and every morning he reads/writes/performs a little (training to sing/dance, learning a new language, reads about arcane techniques etc.) in the free time, he practices with a wooden Nodachi (a traditional family weapon that were used by his grandfather before he settled in this little village) and in the evening reads again. Maybe switching to morning sports/acrobatics and in the evening the culturical things for such versions.
But somehow I don't feel convinced by this, it sorta feels generic, not deep enough?

Please help me with that one....again (cause it will probalby be my first long-term-campaign as a player since about 3 years and want it to be as good as possible)

Have a nice Day,
Krazzman

Greenish
2011-09-10, 02:40 PM
Human Arcane Duelist Bard going to be a Dragon Disciple. (can somebody tell me a reason where this could be problematic in eberron?Dragon Disciple is okay in Eberron, more common among the barbarians of Argonnessen, but the dragons probably don't mind other people doing it.

So the main problem is we will be starting in a desolate small village completely isolated from the rest of the world. The only religional part is a reaaaaaaally old priest that spreads the word of the silver flame (probably not even level 1 cleric). So my problem is, how do I play it out to train the Bardic Artistical skills + the wielder of arcane techniques + the arcane duelling? I'm completely lost how to weave a backstory with that.You start with a good singing voice, a knack for arcane (not that uncommon in Eberron) and got a bit of experience in weapons. Maybe a veteran of the Last War taught you how to hold a weapon, for example, if you didn't participate yourself.

My first impression was: The family of my Bard is descended from a Dragon (Probably Brass, Bronze, Silver or if it has to be Gold)Eberron dragons are not too pleased with mixing with other races. And when I say "not too pleased", I mean it drives them into homicidal rage. The House of Vol, an entire elven bloodline, was completely wiped out by Argonnessen (and Aerenal) armies, just because one of them gave birth to a half-dragon.

Kol Korran
2011-09-10, 02:50 PM
hhmmm.. not sure i can help you, but here are some thoughts and comments:
- first, try to learn more about where in the world is the village located, and who are the people in the village or any close settlements. this might give out new ideas. if you learn more, tell us.
- about the dragon disciple... i can see why your DM might see it as tricky. you see- in Eberron the dragons have separated themselves from the "lowly races", trying to preserve somewhat of a race purity. there is a historical example of one elf house trying to solve their dispute with the dragons by joining their blood with a green dragon family. both the dragon family and theelf house were utterly destroyed in response, asthe offspring (a half dragon) was seen as an utter abomination. the general consensus in Eberron (at least according to some books, others may disagree) is that half dragons and other similar "draconic" templates and so on are frowned upon by the draconic nation.

this doesn't mean you can't get away with it. most DM look the other way in fact (the draconic nation is a slumbering giant anyway), but if your DM sticks to the fluff, you may have some... testy surprises once you begin your transformation...

back on subject:
- i don't know the arcane duelist bard (i don't know much about PF), but perhaps this could work: there is an agent/ actor of House Phiarlan (the house of shadow, performance, spying and information brokering, the oldest dragonmarked house. ruled by elves) that stops by the village at times for his/her... own motivations (a hook for the DM later on). he notices your potential, and decides to train you in some of the arts. why did he chose you? you don't yet know, but he demands that once you're older, you'll repay him/her with a certain service. you think nothing of it as he s/he shows you culture, knowledge, magic, even fighting.

s/he comes and goes, but leaves you with books, instruments and the like to continue practicing. and you seem to show considerable skill... perhaps more skill that is right for a mere human.

i'll try to hink of other ideas later on. thought to drop this by. hope it helps.

Krazzman
2011-09-10, 03:35 PM
Uff, ouch, that sounds....jeah, kinda sad for the elves.

Arcane duelist forgives things like bardic knowledge at first level for a extra feat, that is later (level 6) doubled in it's effectivity. The problem with the mysterious stranger is probably, the whole group will start in that "town".

Thanks for the advice so far, I'll update this, when I got more info.

Have a nice day,
Krazzman

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-10, 04:40 PM
Our players are fairly new to Eberron but our DM read a lot about it, and looked a bit... jeah weird.)
You can't even attack orcs on sight!

Eberron's awesome. It's the only campaign setting where orcs are the stewards of nature and elves rampage across the lands in destructive hordes. :smallcool:

Uff, ouch, that sounds....jeah, kinda sad for the elves.

The Aerenal are the elves.

Inferno
2011-09-10, 05:01 PM
Eberron's awesome. It's the only campaign setting where orcs are the stewards of nature and elves rampage across the lands in destructive hordes. :smallcool:

And Halfling Barbarians ride dinosaurs.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-10, 05:45 PM
And Halfling Barbarians ride dinosaurs.

And pirates roam the skies. And ancient giant ruins are inhabited by savage drow and the remaining giants. And there are rumors of black warforged on Xen'drik, as well as the finding of many warforged specific items. And "Indiana Jones" is a valid archetype.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-10, 06:11 PM
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt139/Dusk_eclipse/OrcvsElfEberron-1.jpg

This is still the best way to describe Eberron:smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2011-09-10, 06:40 PM
And "Indiana Jones" is a valid archetype.Not only archetype, there are more than one PrC that could just as well be named "Adventurer Archeologist". :smalltongue:

[Edit]: ^It always bug me about that awesome poster that says "rovering" when it means "roving".

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-11, 09:12 AM
Not only archetype, there are more than one PrC that could just as well be named "Adventurer Archeologist". :smalltongue:

[Edit]: ^It always bug me about that awesome poster that says "rovering" when it means "roving".

Huh... never noticed that:smallredface: