PDA

View Full Version : Phylactery of Faithfulness question

Chilingsworth
2011-09-10, 07:32 PM
In case you're not familiar with the item: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#phylacteryofFaithfulness)

My question is as follows:

Would such an item made by a follower of one diety work for a follower of a (significantly different) diety? Specifically, my CN (formerlly NG, but "fell" due to backstory events before campaign start) character wants to work with the TN cleric of a TN death god to make one of these for an LG paladin of an LG god. Would the item work as intended?

Also, sorry if this is posted in the incorrect forum.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-09-10, 07:43 PM
If you make the Phylactery as an LG one: Yes
If you make it NG/CG: No

And this should go in the 3.5 D&D forum

Shadowknight12
2011-09-10, 07:48 PM
Yes. Phylacteries of Faithfulness can be used by anyone interchangeably. They are not dedicated to a specific god, they are conduits for a person to get more in tune with whatever god(s) or principles they believe in. It's not a direct line to a god, it's more like a regular cellphone.

Chilingsworth
2011-09-10, 09:20 PM
Yes. Phylacteries of Faithfulness can be used by anyone interchangeably. They are not dedicated to a specific god, they are conduits for a person to get more in tune with whatever god(s) or principles they believe in. It's not a direct line to a god, it's more like a regular cellphone.

This is how I thought they worked, but wasn't sure.

If you make the Phylactery as an LG one: Yes
If you make it NG/CG: No

And this should go in the 3.5 D&D forum

First, my bad. Moderators, please feel free to move this thread.

Second, I suppose even if the item works as I thought, the paladin might take exception to using one made by a team of a TN death cleric (well, cleric of a death god, his actual domains are Time and Fate,) and a CN (as close to NG as possible) psion/wizard/cebermancer.

Saintheart
2011-09-11, 08:12 AM

They're also known as cleric/paladin insurance in games where you have a "funny" DM.

ClockShock
2011-09-11, 01:07 PM
They're also known as cleric/paladin insurance in games where you have a "funny" DM.

Actually, items like this start to become part of the problem. The idea that one single act with an indeterminate outcome can lead to a paladin falling if, for some reason, his god takes a particular dislike to it, and that it is the paladin's job to have omnipotence in such situations.

See now although a DM need do is say, "well your god would have warned you if you had strapped an expensive box to your head, so it's not my problem picking up that 'ring of your god totally hates you now' made you fall".

All this said. Why is it that your characters want to make one for someone else? Are there sinister happenings involved?

Togath
2011-09-11, 08:43 PM
It seems like even if it was made by a chaotic evil character, as long as it was intended to help a lawful good paladin be more heroic it would work just fine when worn by the paladin,
as helping a paladin be heroic seems like a good act.