PDA

View Full Version : Quardreped PC's in Pathfinder

lordofthelost
2011-09-10, 10:35 PM
I am going to be playing a Unicorn Cleric in a new campaign that me and my friends are starting. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas how to adjust magic items for this guy. The one's I have found are thus:

So far I am going to use the Inscribe Magic Tattoo feat from the Inner Sea Magic Campaign Setting, which will allow me to have everything but Armor, Eye, Headband and Shield Slots filled with an alternate version of said items.

Fun thing about the feat description is that this doesn't take up the item slots. So if I can find a way to make an alternate version of an item then I can stack 2 Belt style items, or have a custom items to take one of the tattoo slots and a alternate version of a traditional item slot.

sonofzeal
2011-09-10, 10:48 PM
Animal Item Slots (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031125a)

Xtomjames
2011-09-11, 06:16 AM
Beyond animal item slots there are things like Horse Armor which would work for your character, most human sized bracelets and necklaces work on animals, along with Earrings (rather than finger rings)...

Psyren
2011-09-11, 09:22 AM
Note that Pathfinder has more body slots (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#TOC-Magic-Items-on-the-Body) than 3.5 (14 vs. 11 - Head was broken into Head and Headband, Body was broken into Body and Armor, and Shields were given a slot.)

Animal items slots are also described in Rules Compendium 83-84 (in less detail than Greenish's quote however.) Note that neither this nor the WotC article are strictly Pathfinder so you may have to convince your DM. (By strictest Pathfinder RAW, only humanoid-shaped creatures have the slots to wear magic items, but that's silly and should be discussed with your DM.)

Does anyone have a PF source for magic item slots on non-humanoid-shaped creatures?

Paul H
2011-09-11, 09:26 AM
Hi

In PF there is a class called Synthesist, where you could play a character who 'wears' a quadraped eidolon.

Before I start posting suggested stats/evolutions, what's the Level Adjustment (including Unicorn's HD) for playing a Unicorn?

Thanks
Paul H

Prime32
2011-09-11, 09:29 AM
In PF there is a class called Synthesist, where you could play a character who 'wears' a quadraped eidolon.Or conversely, a quadruped who turns into a biped.

Paul H
2011-09-11, 09:37 AM
Hi

Once a Synthesist has chosen his base form they have to remain with that base form. The can't change it later on. (Just the evolutions can change).

Thanks
Paul H
PS Am looking at the PF suggested rules for playing a creature, so this post will be edited soon

Paul H
2011-09-11, 09:53 AM
Hi

Just a few quick questions:

1) How are you going to cast spell without any arms?
2) What's the HD of the 'normal' characters?

Thanks
Paul H
PS - looking at the quadraped buidld. So far looking at medium sized, but need the arms for spells.

lordofthelost
2011-09-11, 10:00 AM
Thanks. Tbh, I hadn't ever seen the animal item list, typically when I create an odd styled PC it's along the lines of unexpected Race with an odd Class choice which turns out to either be amazing or terrible.

Paul H
2011-09-11, 10:10 AM
Hi

Looking through the Savage Species book for playing a Unicorn - the Level Adjustments are complete nightmare.

Instead gonna look at med sized quadraped with arms, like a Centaur.

Your own size is a standard human that wil appear 'surrounded' by this new form. A blessing from your God, perhaps? (Stole that idea from another thread).

Thanks
Paul H

lordofthelost
2011-09-11, 10:14 AM
Hi

In PF there is a class called Synthesist, where you could play a character who 'wears' a quadraped eidolon.

Before I start posting suggested stats/evolutions, what's the Level Adjustment (including Unicorn's HD) for playing a Unicorn?

Thanks
Paul H
We are using Pathfinder which has less horrendous LA rules.

In regards to LA- In pathfinder you take the CR of the creature you want to play and use that as your ECL. As for my character Unicorn is normally a CR3 and it has 4HD- but by my GM's discretion I am giving up the HD and the Spell-like Abilities to take straight Cleric levels. I am however going to be keeping 2 of the Supernatural abilities- Detect Evil At will, and my horn counts as Good and Magic for dealing with DR.

1) How are you going to cast spell without any arms?
2) What's the HD of the 'normal' characters?
A1- I am using my horn as my DF and will also be making gestures with it.
A2-We are starting at Lvl7-
But I have a disclaimer- We are playing in a custom world where the GM is allowing pretty much anything that can be explained via RP/Backstory and comes with a set of mechanics rules that he approves of. These are actual a new set of Characters in an existing world, our old PC's literally managed to become deities in their own rights and our new characters are going to among their followers.

If I have an opportunity later then I will give the base story so people can understand why the GM is allowing such open-ended mechanics. Suffice it to say that even with our original PC's reaching the power of Intermediate Deities per the Deities and DemiGods book, we don't have the strength to fight toe-to-toe with the big bad in the setting.

Paul H
2011-09-11, 10:22 AM
Hi

Yes I did see the PF LA rules first. According to them you should be about a 2nd lvl cleric. (With the Unicorns spells/abilities).

Changing them and keeping Cha 24 is bit problematic on final LA. That's why I was looking for an easier way.

But if you've already got it sorted.......

Thanks
Paul H

lordofthelost
2011-09-11, 10:40 AM
Hi

Yes I did see the PF LA rules first. According to them you should be about a 2nd lvl cleric. (With the Unicorns spells/abilities).

Changing them and keeping Cha 24 is bit problematic on final LA. That's why I was looking for an easier way.

But if you've already got it sorted.......

Thanks
Paul H

Yeah, the GM said to keep base stats for Unicorn but that I don't gain any Stat increases for Leveling unless we go Epic