PDA

View Full Version : Trapfinding, need a PrC

Bloodgruve
2011-09-11, 08:07 AM
Our rogue in the party recently traded herself in for a witch and our party severely lacking trapfinding. I am running an Ardent w/o much Int so skill monkey is not going to suit me too well. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to easily pick up trapfind and disable devices for a wis/str concentrated build.

Been looking at Incarnate with Theft Gloves or dipping into Ninja but neither fit real well.

TY for your input

Blood`

Psyren
2011-09-11, 08:55 AM
1) You don't need an Incarnate dip to get Trapfinding from Theft Gloves. Use Open Least Chakra to open your Hands and bind them. (ECL 6 I believe.)

2) Why doesn't (3.5) Ninja fit? You get Trapfinding, +1d6 sudden strike, lots of skill points, and most importantly, Wis to AC.

3) You said a party member traded for a Witch. Are you playing Pathfinder? If so, you probably don't need trapfinding much - in PF, trapfinding is only used to locate magical traps, there is no DC limit to your search check for non-magical traps if you don't have it anymore.

4) If this is PF, I'm assuming 3.P since you're looking at Incarnate. So here is the Lists of Stuff: (PrCs and other with general trapfinding bolded)

Barbarian 3, class variant, Dungeonscape, replaces Trap Sense, see text
Rogue 1
Ranger 1, class variant, Dungeonscape, replaces Track
Beguiler 1, Player's Handbook 2
Ninja 1, Complete Adventurer
Scout 1, Complete Adventurer
Spellthief 1, Complete Adventurer
Nightsong Infiltrator 1, ecl 8, Complete Adventurer
Geometer 3, ecl 9, Complete Arcane, Traps based on writing only
Temple Raider of Olidammara 1, ecl 6, Complete Divine
Stoneblessed(Dwarf) 3, ecl 5, Races of Stone, stone traps only
Stonedeath Assassin 1, ecl 6, Races of Stone
Artificer 1, Eberron Campaign Setting, disable traps
Silverkey 1, ecl 4, Eberron: Dragonmarked, called "wardsense", works at range, see text (Psyren note: This thing is basically super-trapfinding, but the PrC is hard to enter.)
Factotum 1, Dungeonscape
Disciple of Dispater 2, ecl 8, Book of Vile Darkness, metal only
Kobold domain, Races of the Dragon, web enhancement
Theft Gloves, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum
Hoardstealer 1, ecl 6, Draconomicon

Darrin
2011-09-12, 07:41 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to easily pick up trapfind and disable devices for a wis/str concentrated build.

If you can get 8 ranks of Knowledge (the Planes), take the Planar Touchstone feat, link it to the Catalogues of Enlightenment, and pick up the Kobold domain power (Trapfinding + search/disable device as class skills).

Bloodgruve
2011-09-12, 08:35 AM
If you can get 8 ranks of Knowledge (the Planes), take the Planar Touchstone feat, link it to the Catalogues of Enlightenment, and pick up the Kobold domain power (Trapfinding + search/disable device as class skills).

After some research ^ looks good, possibly Ninja and a Psychic Rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b).

Here is a question. If I were to multiclass into rogue at lvl 8 would I gain 6+int skill points or (6+int)x4 skill points?

TYVM for the input.

Blood~

Greenish
2011-09-12, 08:44 AM
If I were to multiclass into rogue at lvl 8 would I gain 6+int skill points or (6+int)x4 skill points?6+int. The quadrupling of skillpoints is only for your first ever HD.

Psyren
2011-09-12, 08:44 AM
After some research ^ looks good, possibly Ninja and a Psychic Rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b).

Here is a question. If I were to multiclass into rogue at lvl 8 would I gain 6+int skill points or (6+int)x4 skill points?

TYVM for the input.

Blood~

You only multiply by 4 at character level 1. Taking your first level of another class later than that just gets you the normal skill points + int they would usually get.

Bloodgruve
2011-09-12, 09:06 AM
That's what I thought, just wanted to clarify, tyvm.

Blood~

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-12, 09:49 AM
It's called Thrallherd, otherwise Leadership works.

Otherwise make a temporary character who has a high enough Disable Device skill and a big enough Bag of Holding to actually remove traps and carry them back to town to sell. Once the DM realizes just how silly the price of traps are relative to how much loot an adventure is supposed to give out, he'll reconsider using any of them at all.

Bloodgruve
2011-09-12, 10:06 AM
It's called Thrallherd, otherwise Leadership works.

Otherwise make a temporary character who has a high enough Disable Device skill and a big enough Bag of Holding to actually remove traps and carry them back to town to sell. Once the DM realizes just how silly the price of traps are relative to how much loot an adventure is supposed to give out, he'll reconsider using any of them at all.

Nice.

I have ran a thrallherd and leadership before but I am already running a second character so I wanted to stay away from too many PC's.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-12, 12:29 PM
Tell someone else to get Leadership for maybe a Beguiler cohort, have him just use Glitterdust on enemies and Haste on the party and stay out of fighting otherwise. If the party runs into something that an initiative roll can't solve, chances are a Beguiler has a solution to the obstacle.

Bloodgruve
2011-09-12, 02:56 PM
Tell someone else to get Leadership for maybe a Beguiler cohort, have him just use Glitterdust on enemies and Haste on the party and stay out of fighting otherwise. If the party runs into something that an initiative roll can't solve, chances are a Beguiler has a solution to the obstacle.

Beguiler looks fun, also took a look at Factotum.

TY
Blood~