PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help Me Build a Level 6 Totemist

ArcanistSupreme
2011-09-11, 11:16 AM
I have a friend who is going to be playing a Totemist in an upcoming one shot, and I was hoping for some suggestions on how to build his character. Most of the guides out there give suggestions on how to build for higher levels, but this character will never progress beyond level six. Since we're both newish to Incarnum, we're wondering what the best way to build/play him is.

Almost any book is available, and any and all advice is much appreciated.

Greenish
2011-09-11, 06:38 PM
Totemist 6. Get good Con and Str, pick Multiattack as a feat, you're done. Unless you want to go ranged instead, in which case some Dex and PBS/Precise Shot may be useful.

Now, what do you want to do with the totemist?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-11, 06:50 PM
E6? We could give feat suggestions. Okay, everybody else could, I'm waiting for the copy of MoI I ordered.

Greenish
2011-09-11, 06:54 PM
E6?One-shot, by the looks of it.

Godskook
2011-09-11, 06:55 PM
Is this for E6 or a normal D&D game that simply won't level too high?

Big Fau
2011-09-11, 06:56 PM
Obligatory link. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2943)

ArcanistSupreme
2011-09-12, 07:10 AM
Totemist 6. Get good Con and Str, pick Multiattack as a feat, you're done. Unless you want to go ranged instead, in which case some Dex and PBS/Precise Shot may be useful.

Now, what do you want to do with the totemist?

I think we were going for "blender." So for Multiattack, binding Girallon Arms to the totem chakra is probably the way to go. But what is another good meld to bind/shape? Also, is there a way to get more natural attacks? Looking through the options, everything I could see required binding it to the totem chakra, which is already filled.

Is this for E6 or a normal D&D game that simply won't level too high?

It's a one-shot. It starts and ends at level six.

Obligatory link. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2943)

Yeah, I've looked at that. But pretty much everything seems like it's talked about as if the character is level 20. One thing I did like was the warforged Totemist with the Jaws of Death feat. The attack routine would be 4x claw + bite + slam, correct?

Greenish
2011-09-12, 07:39 AM
Girallon bound to totem, Sphinx Claws bound to arms (or was it hands) and your chakra binds are spoken for. The rest of the melds can provide utility. Shape Soulmeld for Thunderstep Boots is an option.

There are a few melds that provide natural attacks without being bound, found mostly outside ToB (Chaos Roc Span in Dragon Mag. #350, Claws of the Wyrm in Dragon Magic…), though most of them aren't that hot.

Person_Man
2011-09-12, 09:06 AM
My suggestion is Warforged Totemist 2/Incarnate 4

Warforged gives you a slam attack and a bunch of immunities. Though any race with natural weapons will work fine, or you could use one of the Incarnum races if you want an extra point of essentia instead.

Totemist 2 for Girillion Arms bound to Totem Chakra, giving you 4 claw attacks. For your remaining two soulmelds I suggest some combination of Dragon Tail (Dragon Magic) for a tail attack, Chaos Roc's Span (Dragon Mag 350) for 2 wing buffet attacks, Rageclaws or Blood Talons for Die Hard, Threefold Mask of the Chimera for Immunity to Flanking (if you know your DM is fond of Rogues), or Wormtail Belt for the Natural Armor bonus.

Incarnate 4 for Astral Vembraces (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20060217a) bound to your Hands, which gives you DR 8/magic plus 2 more Slam attacks. For your remaining three soulmelds, I suggest some combination of Mantle of Flame (4d6 retributive fire damage), Spellward Shirt (Spell Resistance 17), Dragon Tail (it's a Totemist and Incarnate soulmeld, so bind it under either), Mage's Spectacles (UMD), Acrobat Boots (Tumble), or Impulse Boots (Uncanny Dodge).

Your Incarnate soulmelds require lots of essentia if you want them running at full power. You'll have 6 points from your class levels, and 1 if you're an Incarnum race. That's enough to keep 2 soulmelds at full. If you want to keep an additional soulmeld or two full, you can get a Wand of Soul Boon (Magic of Incarnum pg 104) to add up to 5 points (though you'll need to increase the caster level, which can be expensive), you can bind the Necrocarnum Weapon soulmeld to your Hands for a number of points equal to the essentia invested in that soulmeld (so 3 points at that ECL), and you can buy an Essentia Jewel for 1 more point (Magic of Incarnum pg 113), and you can take the Bonus Essentia feat for 2 points.

Spend 5 minutes reading this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7066595) - there are cheap magic items or feats to Unarmed Strike, bite, gore, and other attacks. Otherwise, take a look at Multiattack, Improved Unarmed Strike, Touch of Golden Ice (Book of Exalted Deeds), Quickdraw (if you run out of enemies within reach, you can still draw a net or other thrown weapon and get off at least one more attack, and you can easily draw a reach weapon when needed), Martial Study/Stance, and other feat that I've mentioned or linked to. Also, Open Least Chakra is nice to get an extra Chakra Bind if your DM allows it to add one. Improved Essentia Capacity (Spellward Shirt) is also worthwhile if you're in a magic heavy game, as it'll bump your Spell Resistance up to 21 when the soulmeld has max essentia in it.

Also, peruse the Pounce and Free Movement thread. I suggest Broken One's Sacrifice, Protective Imposition, Anklet of Translocation, Greaves of Aundair, Lion's Charge, and/or Knight's Move. Remember that you can put wands into a Wand Chamber (Dungeonscape) and activate them with Mage's Spectacles if you don't dump Cha.

Midnight_v
2011-09-12, 09:18 AM
Girallon bound to totem, Sphinx Claws bound to arms (or was it hands) and your chakra binds are spoken for+1

I think going human and taking the education feat as your human feat and Knowledge Devotion as you 3rd level feat is interesting.
I've been looking at this alot lately on a few builds but it pays for itself and it gives you a mr.know it all, aspect to your char. Its awesome to think that you're people have such a strong oral tradition that you are quite educated, but you can't read.
Still you get mostly around +2 to hit and damage on each attack if you keep your skills maxed and there are only a few knowledges that "matter" So theres something.

Further, Abberation blood/deepspawn give you 2 tentacles attack, and obviously one of your attacks is going to be multiattack... so you can get 6 attacks, if you really want.

Races
Playing as a dragonborn w/wings gives you the ability to charge even in difficult terrain.
Raptoran does it too but doens't get an ability bonus.

Godskook
2011-09-12, 10:33 AM
Totemist 2 for Girillion Arms bound to Totem Chakra, giving you 4 claw attacks. For your remaining two soulmelds I suggest some combination of Dragon Tail (Dragon Magic) for a tail attack, Chaos Roc's Span (Dragon Mag 350) for 2 wing buffet attacks, Rageclaws or Blood Talons for Die Hard, Threefold Mask of the Chimera for Immunity to Flanking (if you know your DM is fond of Rogues), or Wormtail Belt for the Natural Armor bonus.

Incarnate 4 for Astral Vembraces (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20060217a) bound to your Hands, which gives you DR 8/magic plus 2 more Slam attacks. For your remaining three soulmelds, I suggest some combination of Mantle of Flame (4d6 retributive fire damage), Spellward Shirt (Spell Resistance 17), Dragon Tail (it's a Totemist and Incarnate soulmeld, so bind it under either), Mage's Spectacles (UMD), Acrobat Boots (Tumble), or Impulse Boots (Uncanny Dodge).

Remember that Totem binds still occupy a different Chakra for the purpose of determining which soulmelds you can use together, so Girallon Arms, for example, cuts out the use of Arms chakra. And with Astral Vambraces bound to the hand chakra, that cuts out the use of Rage Claws and Blood Talons.

And then, Chaos Roc Span is inadvisable, since the reach/non-reach issues make charging with your standard weapon suite impossible(gotta stop when you're first able to attack someone. The lack of a shoulder bind for it doesn't help either.

Otherwise, good advice.

---------------

@OP, I will point out that Totemist 6 gives pounce via Sphinx Claws without giving up your Totem Bind. A warforged with second slam and Jaws of death can have up to 7 natural attacks if he binds Girallon Arms, but that does eat through your feats pretty bad.

Amphetryon
2011-09-12, 11:18 AM
Remember that Totem binds still occupy a different Chakra for the purpose of determining which soulmelds you can use together, so Girallon Arms, for example, cuts out the use of Arms chakra. Page reference, please?

Godskook
2011-09-12, 12:57 PM
Page reference, please?

Page 51, subsection "Chakra Binds", last paragraph.

Amphetryon
2011-09-12, 01:02 PM
Page 51, subsection "Chakra Binds", last paragraph.

I'll just say that my reading of it is less restrictive than yours, in this regard.

ArcanistSupreme
2011-09-12, 01:07 PM
Page reference, please?

Page 51. The rules for soulmelds are pretty poorly organized, so it's easy to miss.

Godskook
2011-09-12, 01:24 PM
I'll just say that my reading of it is less restrictive than yours, in this regard.

Huh?

#1, Page 50, "Meld Selection", first Paragraph

"Also, two soulmelds can't occupy the same Chakra(with some exceptions)"

#2, Page 51, "Chakra Binds", third Paragraph

"When a totemist wishes to bind a soulmeld to her totem chakra, she must choose a different chakra for that soulmeld to occupy."

#3, Page 53, "Chakra", only paragraph

"This line indicates which chakra the soulmeld can occupy when shaped bound. Multiple entries indicates the meldshaper has a choice of where he wants to place the meld."

So, let's say you want to bind Girallon Arms to your Totem Chakra:
-It must occupy a chakra other than the Totem Chakra, as per #2
-It must be the Arms Chakra, as that's the only valid Chakra listed for that meld, as per #3
-With no listed exceptions in this situation that I'm aware* of(if you can quote one, please do), as per #1, no other soulmeld can occupy that Chakra.

*Well, I'm aware of Double Chakra, but that's neither here nor there since the example does not include it.

dextercorvia
2011-09-12, 03:18 PM
Totemist2/Bard4 with Manticore Belt, Expanded Soulmeld capacity, DFI, and possibly Knowledge Devotion makes for a pretty solid ranged build. You can pretty easily get 4 ranged attacks at +yesd6 damage, not to mention that you help your comrades.

ArcanistSupreme
2011-09-12, 03:42 PM
Totemist2/Bard4 with Manticore Belt, Expanded Soulmeld capacity, DFI, and possibly Knowledge Devotion makes for a pretty solid ranged build. You can pretty easily get 4 ranged attacks at +yesd6 damage, not to mention that you help your comrades.

The only problem with this build is that another bard will be in the party. But DFI will definitely be included.

Person_Man
2011-09-12, 04:54 PM
Huh?

#1, Page 50, "Meld Selection", first Paragraph

"Also, two soulmelds can't occupy the same Chakra(with some exceptions)"

#2, Page 51, "Chakra Binds", third Paragraph

"When a totemist wishes to bind a soulmeld to her totem chakra, she must choose a different chakra for that soulmeld to occupy."

#3, Page 53, "Chakra", only paragraph

"This line indicates which chakra the soulmeld can occupy when shaped bound. Multiple entries indicates the meldshaper has a choice of where he wants to place the meld."

So, let's say you want to bind Girallon Arms to your Totem Chakra:
-It must occupy a chakra other than the Totem Chakra, as per #2
-It must be the Arms Chakra, as that's the only valid Chakra listed for that meld, as per #3
-With no listed exceptions in this situation that I'm aware* of(if you can quote one, please do), as per #1, no other soulmeld can occupy that Chakra.

*Well, I'm aware of Double Chakra, but that's neither here nor there since the example does not include it.

I think you're correct on this, which would make my original advice of Girallon Arms shaped in the Arms chakra but bound to Totem chakra + Astral Vembraces shaped and bound to the Arms chakra impossible until the Double Bind feat becomes available later in his progression. I apologize for the non-RAW advice. But for what it's worth, my group basically just ignores that confusing rule and treats the Totem chakra as another slot (which doesn't close off a magic item slot), and I think a lot of other groups do so as well (unintentionally, since the rules are confusing).

It would have been a lot easier if they had just assigned the Totem chakra to the body/armor slot (and made it corespondingly more powerful, and/or included a soulmeld that provided a much better Armor bonus). There' no good reason to make the system so needlessly complex.

Big Fau
2011-09-12, 05:18 PM
It would have been a lot easier if they had just assigned the Totem chakra to the body/armor slot (and made it corespondingly more powerful, and/or included a soulmeld that provided a much better Armor bonus). There' no good reason to make the system so needlessly complex.

I would have put it in the Ring slot, seeing as the Heart and Soul occupy the torso/armor area.

Tvtyrant
2011-09-12, 05:45 PM
I suggest Totemist 6 with Pegasus whatever on the shoulders and Landshark Boots. The Pegasus gets you a jump check boost and gliding, the Landshark Thingies get you four claw attacks as a jumping charge. Same basic effect as the Sphinx Claws+Girallon arms, except the Pegasus wingthingies are good out of combat.

Amphetryon
2011-09-12, 05:49 PM
The line I'm not seeing would read something like this:

"The original chakra of the soulmeld you choose to bind to your totem chakra is closed off by your choice, even though it is not bound to that chakra."

I'm not disputing the potential validity of your presented interpretation. I'm saying that I've always read it - and seen it with others - as NOT closing off, for example, the arms chakra by binding Sphinx Claws to your totem chakra, because the Sphinx Claws aren't, in fact, bound to your arms chakra.

dextercorvia
2011-09-12, 08:30 PM
The line I'm not seeing would read something like this:

"The original chakra of the soulmeld you choose to bind to your totem chakra is closed off by your choice, even though it is not bound to that chakra."

I'm not disputing the potential validity of your presented interpretation. I'm saying that I've always read it - and seen it with others - as NOT closing off, for example, the arms chakra by binding Sphinx Claws to your totem chakra, because the Sphinx Claws aren't, in fact, bound to your arms chakra.

That is quite right. It doesn't close the Arms Chakra, you can still use an item there, but you can't shape another soulmeld there, because one already occupies that chakra, therefore you can't bind another one there. (Without the feat of course.)

Godskook
2011-09-12, 10:27 PM
I think you're correct on this, which would make my original advice of Girallon Arms shaped in the Arms chakra but bound to Totem chakra + Astral Vembraces shaped and bound to the Arms chakra impossible until the Double Bind feat becomes available later in his progression. I apologize for the non-RAW advice. But for what it's worth, my group basically just ignores that confusing rule and treats the Totem chakra as another slot (which doesn't close off a magic item slot), and I think a lot of other groups do so as well (unintentionally, since the rules are confusing).

Actually, Hands and Arms are two different Chakras. Your bind suggestions work together. It was the additional melds that I was commenting on as being conflicting. Guess I didn't make that clear.

And yeah, that's not an unreasonable houserule.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-09-12, 11:23 PM
The only problem with this build is that another bard will be in the party. But DFI will definitely be included.

If there's a DFI bard, then tons of attacks is definately the flavor of the day. Now, do you want to go Ranged or Melee?

Ranged... Manticore Belt nets you a bunch of ranged natural attacks, and Totem Avatar to Shoulder chakra nets you a damage increase. Dread Carapace doesn't need to be bound to provide a bonus.

Melee... others have said it, but I will say it again... Gorrilion Arms + Sphinx Claws.

If you want to save a bind, then Totemist5/WhirlingPounceBarian1

However, the Totem chakra is a strange beast. The bind you hook to your Totem chakra doesn't occupy your Totem chakra point, it occupies whatever chakra slot that it normally takes. So a Gorrilion Arms bound to your Totem chakra still eats up your Arm chakra slot.

Zaq
2011-09-13, 01:03 AM
If this is a one-shot and you're OK being a one-trick pony, a level of Scout (obviously at first level, for sweet, sweet skill points) and a level of Barbarian (pooooooounce) go very well indeed with Totemist. Skirmish may only be +1d6, yes, but when you're doing bite/slam/claw/claw/claw/claw (as a warforged can do with just one feat), +1d6 is quite noticeable.

Tvtyrant
2011-09-13, 01:17 AM
1 level of Binder with improved binding and 5 of Totemist get you a lot as well. second level binds and crown, feet, hand and totem chakras mix extremely well. Amon would get you an extra natural attack with 1.5 strength to damage, Aym's Halo of Fire grants you 1d6 fire damage on each hit (you have a lot of hits), and Malphas grants you sudden strike!