PDA

View Full Version : Images that follow the caster?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-09-11, 06:34 PM
Are there non-core image spells who can follow a moving caster? Mirror Image doesn't count unless it can be visible while the caster is invisible. I'm trying to make a Dragon/Lieutenant for a BBEG who only interacts with people by proxy image, and he may have to do so while on a ship; normal image spells would simply be left in the dust/water/whatever in this setting. I'd prefer not to go for the "burn through wands of Major Image like there's no tomorrow" route if possible, especially because I'd like to minimize the frequency that people realize they're talking to an image.

Edit: I already know about Simulacrum, but that might cause some problems regarding gentlemen's agreements.

Urpriest
2011-09-11, 08:48 PM
How well does Project Image work for this? It seems like the spell that's meant for this sort of character.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-09-11, 08:56 PM
Hm, it depends on whether the image has to stay within the specified range of the spell. The good news is that it doesn't have "as silent image," so... it might be able to move around as long as the caster maintains line of effect?

If that's the case, the only problems are its short duration, the lack of extradimensional travel, and the high level slot, but those can be dealt with.

Jack_Simth
2011-09-11, 08:58 PM
Are there non-core image spells who can follow a moving caster? Mirror Image doesn't count unless it can be visible while the caster is invisible. I'm trying to make a Dragon/Lieutenant for a BBEG who only interacts with people by proxy image, and he may have to do so while on a ship; normal image spells would simply be left in the dust/water/whatever in this setting. I'd prefer not to go for the "burn through wands of Major Image like there's no tomorrow" route if possible, especially because I'd like to minimize the frequency that people realize they're talking to an image.

Edit: I already know about Simulacrum, but that might cause some problems regarding gentlemen's agreements.

Get a totally loyal servant of approximately the correct size (maybe a humanoid skeleton) as a chassis.
Cast Greater Scrying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/scryingGreater.htm) on it, order it to voluntarily fail the save.
Cast Seeming (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/seeming.htm) or Veil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/veil.htm) on it to make it look like whatever you want.
Whenever you want to talk to someone, cast Message (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/message.htm) - which works reliably through a Greater Scrying sensor.

There. One spell (Animate Dead?) gets you a chassis which can be moved around at will (including across planes). Two spells/day gets you 12 hours/day (assuming you've got a caster level of 12) of monitoring said chassis, and making the chassis look like you (both are cast on the chassis - the illusion with no cap on rate of travel, the scrying sensor at up to 150 feet/round (15 mph, by D&D reconing). One cantrip gives you several minutes of talking to someone when you need to do so.

Sufficient?

Edit:
If you wanted to skip the actual illusion spell, you could just use a skeletal warrior, wrap it in full plate, and dress it up a little so it looks like just someone in full plate, rather than specifically an undead creature. Then just Scry and message, and you don't need to ever touch the Chassis once you've built it.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-09-11, 09:17 PM
Interesting workaround. Questions:

If it's a skeleton created by animate dead, I thought the only orders you could give it were "follow me" or "attack X type of creature in this area." Am I mistaken, or will the trusted lieutenant not be able to order his skeleton to move around unless it's following him?

I was also thinking about a dominated thrall, but in this case couldn't you just use dominate to see through his eyes and order him to say what you want via the spell? Seems more frugal, if also more evil.

Re Edit: Maybe I should invest in the disguise skill...