PDA

View Full Version : Fly Lil' Birdie

Bard for Kicks
2011-09-11, 09:40 PM
So. Flying seems like a useful thing to have when the rest of the party tends to fly at...meh...around 200ft/round. Is there an item or a template with only 1 level adjustment that can give me a fly speed permanently? None of this 1/day business. I would like wings to stay. :smallsmile:

Big Fau
2011-09-11, 09:43 PM
Fiendish Grafts gives you wings! (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12154)

Bard for Kicks
2011-09-11, 09:53 PM
hm...I happen to be the party face...a -6 to diplomacy shall be the death of me

Big Fau
2011-09-11, 10:01 PM
hm...I happen to be the party face...a -6 to diplomacy shall be the death of me

Keep reading, there's more than that (Dragonic Grafts, in RotD, have a Flight graft as well, but it's significantly more expensive).

Greenish
2011-09-11, 10:04 PM
Unseelie Fey and Dragonborn of Bahamut both can give you wings for 0 LA. Both have their drawbacks, though.

Bard for Kicks
2011-09-11, 10:20 PM
I am absolutely positive Unseelie Fey and Dragonborn are not for me.
As for draconic graft...it seems okay. xept...the dex penalty. it is frightening. having 30 health at ECL8...AC is really crucial to my survival. But losing 2 to dex seems okay for the benefits...:smalleek:

Big Fau
2011-09-11, 10:56 PM
I am absolutely positive Unseelie Fey and Dragonborn are not for me.
As for draconic graft...it seems okay. xept...the dex penalty. it is frightening. having 30 health at ECL8...AC is really crucial to my survival. But losing 2 to dex seems okay for the benefits...:smalleek:

In all honesty, you'd be better off with the Fiendish ones (a Planar Binding spell of sufficient power can get you the graft for free, minus some of your sanity). The -6 is trivial to negate, and it wouldn't cost you any levels to do so.

Seriously, Diplomacy is one of the easiest skills to boost.

DragonBaneDM
2011-09-12, 02:12 AM
Fiendish Grafts gives you wings! (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12154)

Can we invent a way to "like" GiantITP posts? Like on Facebook. This really needs to happen.

Demonic_Spoon
2011-09-12, 05:30 AM
Ring of Solar Wing, page 115 of the Book of Exalted Deeds. Sure it costs a arm and a leg, but who doesn't want giant glowing angel wings that give them a crazy flight speed of 150 ft and good manoeuvrability.

Darrin
2011-09-12, 06:35 AM
Ring of Solar Wing, page 115 of the Book of Exalted Deeds. Sure it costs a arm and a leg, but who doesn't want giant glowing angel wings that give them a crazy flight speed of 150 ft and good manoeuvrability.

Winged Mask (13000 GP, Magic of Faerun) or Phylactery of Change (11200 GP, A&EG) are cheaper. Winged Mask is just a fly spell at will, so not that fast, but the Phylactery... hmm... best flyer up to 7HD looks like a very young brass dragon: 150' (average).

Waker
2011-09-12, 06:47 AM
There is the Winged Template in Savage Species. Flight Speed is Land Speed + 20ft, +4 dex and +2 wis, maneuverability is based off of dex. Sadly it's a +2 LA. Just see if your DM will allow a LA buyoff.

Feytalist
2011-09-12, 07:22 AM
Carpet of flying :smallbiggrin:

Or even broom of flying, for extra lulz.

There's also a feathered/winged cloak or somesuch.

Bard for Kicks
2011-09-12, 11:55 AM
I'm digging the carpet idea. Level adjustments shall be my doom (since I already have 3 lvl adjustments from my template) Also, I'm in an evil campaign so BoED means the lawful evil paladin in my group is going to coup de grace me in my sleep haha

Flickerdart
2011-09-12, 12:08 PM
Aw, shame. I was going to suggest Half-Fey, the most awesome template, which would both give you wiiiiiings and make your party faceness that much facier.

gallagher
2011-09-12, 12:54 PM
if your build isnt set, you could always do it warlock style? warlocks benefit from high CHA so you can totally be the party face, you can use fell flight infinite times a day, which is almost as good as a racial flight speed, and there are other good benefits.

compared to a bard and a cleric, the core classes which tend to make the best party faces, a warlock fits a much different role. you arent the skill monkey that the bard would be, nor are you the party buff-bot that the cleric can do, and you dont really have spells, but your invocation list can prove to be just as handy and you will always be relevant

Bard for Kicks
2011-09-12, 03:10 PM
Actually, I already am a set character so an item would be most useful. It's hard to be half-fey that is already fey haha. 1.5x the fey.

I think I might take the diplomacy penalty and deal with bluff and if not, I will get some item to give me fly speed.
If not, I could always find a way to acquire the Ring of Solar Wings. Does that require me 100% to be good? I am chaotic neutral right now...

If I get desperate, I could just ride on my larger companions. However, that does not bode well for an aerial fight.

gallagher
2011-09-12, 04:47 PM
If I get desperate, I could just ride on my larger companions. However, that does not bode well for an aerial fight.

no, but it does make for interesting mounted combat situations. beef up your ride check and ensure that your teammate doesnt take damage!

Bard for Kicks
2011-09-14, 06:42 PM
haha I don't think a bard can get the ride skill...
i'm not multiclassing just to get the ride skill. that would be...rather pathetic.
until there is some really heavy duty flying, i'm just going to keep around feather fall and hope for the best. (until i see an opportune time to steal a wing ring)

sreservoir
2011-09-15, 07:58 PM
you can take ride cross-class. you probably have enough skill points to spare.

there's also skill knowledge, though that may or may not be acceptable.

Prime32
2011-09-15, 08:02 PM
White dragonspawn is LA +1.

2xMachina
2011-09-16, 09:48 AM
Well, WoTC priced flying pretty high. There's 2 ways to fly in MiC, but they're expensive like hell. Phoenix Cloak and Wings of Flying (50k range)

Hmm, did a search:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156695