PDA

View Full Version : [3.5, race]You really need any more bloodlines? (PEACH)

flabort
2011-09-11, 11:29 PM
Copied this from the Bloodlines Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208703&page=3), by welknair, where I originally posted this race. I've added fluff, although not much. I also added the Paragon class, and feats, and plan on adding substitution levels for certain classes, too. And, much later, I may make a "Monster Class" for the race, should my inspiration last, or be renewed.

Dire Mudblood
A Dire Mudblood does not come from any race in particular. Rather, they are a complete mixture of races, and magical beings. The extremely mixed up combination of several potentially arcane ancestries and bloodlines results in a rare mutation, a horrible creature that should never have been.
Dire Mudbloods are uncommon, being a rare mutation amongst rare lineages, but more varied than even humans. They have any number of oddities from their numerous ancestors, sometimes bearing horns or spikes, sometimes manifesting scales, or having long tails. Some grow even larger then their own kin.
But generally, they tend towards being large and heavy, sometimes even obese. While fangs are uncommon, Dire Mudbloods usually have sharper teeth than most normal races. Their faces show signs of descent from several races, often having the pointed ears of elves and halflings, and the bulbous noses of gnomes and trolls. Their hair can range from dull browns and brilliant golds, to sickly greens and vibrant fiery reds.
When a Dire Mudblood is born, it will usually be within a community of misfits and half-breeds, those who don't fit in with the "pure blooded" races. Still, as they grow larger than their parents and others in the community, they become a risk, and many bizarrely shaped parents have struck down their own children.

Racial Features:
Monstrous Humanoid
+2 Con, +2 Str, -4 Cha (minimum 1), -4 Int (minimum 3), -2 Wis (minimum 1)
Large Size: -1 to armor class, -1 on attack rolls, -4 to hide, +4 to grapple, lifting and carrying limits double those of a medium character
Space/Reach: 10 feet/10 feet
A Dire Mudblood's base land speed is 20 feet
Racial Hit die: A Dire Mudblood begins with 8 levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 8d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +8, and Base Saving Throw bonuses Fort +2, Ref +6, and Will +6.
Racial Skills: A Dire Mudblood's monstrous humanoid levels give it 11 x (2+Int mod, minimum 1) skill points. Its class skills are Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Search, and Spot.
Special Qualities: Fast healing 2, Double Major Bloodline
Automatic Languages: Common
Bonus languages: Any, excepting secret languages like Druidic
Favored Class: Fighter

Double Major Bloodline: The Dire Mudblood may take two major bloodlines at once. He gains the abilities and bonuses of both bloodlines each level, although if they gain bonuses to the same skills or abilities they do not stack. The Dire Mudblood is treated as if he had already taken two Bloodline Levels for each bloodline for purposes of when he stops gaining abilities from them, although he does not obtain any additional bonuses or effective character level from this. He must still take another bloodline level for each major bloodline before or at 12th level, or suffer the usual penalties. Taking only one bloodline level before 12th level negates the penalties for one bloodline, but not the other.
The Mudblood bloodline is the most frequent bloodline to show through, due to it's extremely mixed origins.

Dire Mudblood Paragon
Adventures
Dire Mudbloods leave home because, even in communities of mixed races where nobody even resembles each other, they don't fit in. They adventure to find a place where they can be accepted, which is usually in the middle of a group of adventurers, whatever their goals be.

Dire Mudblood Paragons adventure for the same reasons, because they seem even more out of place then others of their kind, if they can even find others of their kind. Often they just do whatever sounds fun at the time, since they don't really have much else to do.

Characteristics
Dire Mudbloods are more varied in personality than they are in shape and form, some of them being dejected loners hurt by the prejudice some races harbor towards other races and half-breeds, others being prone to deadly rages when provoked, or still others being as lighthearted and ineffable as any gnome or halfling you ever saw. Still, if there's any shared aspects between Dire Mudbloods, it's adaptability, the ability to endure, and change. Paragons successfully embody their mixed heritage, embracing the strength latent in their blood, and adapting to any situation.

Alignment
Dire Mudblood Paragons can be of virtually any alignment, although they are generally chaotic.

Religion
Having come from no specific race, Dire Mudbloods generally adapt the religions of whichever race they interact with most often. Since they often interact most with humans, many Dire Mudbloods, and Dire Mudblood Paragons, take on human deities, but they often worship any deity; some even choosing (or being forced) to worship the darker gods of the drow and goblins, and other evil races.

Background
If a Dire Mudblood is rare, a paragon is rarer still. They come into their strengths through much hardship, and learning about those from which they descend. They often seek to be more like one of their far off ancestors, some yearning to be more like the dragons who bore their kin, some seeking to be like the Fiends who tainted their line, and others seeking to be like a great master of his craft who passed his ability down through his blood. Still, even if a Dire Mudblood Paragon meets another Dire Mudblood, it is unlikely they will share bloodlines and ancestors, and proving any Dire Mudblood to be the elite within his race is a difficult thing to do.

Races
In most cases, a Dire Mudblood Paragon views other races as other Dire Mudbloods might, as potential kin, or hateful persecutors. It really depends on the individual, how they see others and just how extreme these views are. But a Dire Mudblood Paragon may pick up a trace of arrogance, a feeling that by having the best features of several races, they are better than those races. While they often embody the better aspects of these races, though, they can also show the worst, like a Minotaur's blood lust, or a halfling's trickery.

Other Classes
Dire Mudblood Paragons get along well with classes that try to overcome the practitioner's race, or draw strength from it, such as Blood King (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213822), or the Evolutionist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112349). They sympathize with those who are what they do not wish to be, like the Harrowed (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188148), and admire the varied strengths of a fighter. They regard magic users with curiosity, since they often have lingering magic in their blood, and get tolerate psions and their like, for the fact that they too are a rare mutation.
They view barbarians as not having a good grip on their emotions, and Rogues as not having good enough morals, but there are of course exceptions, and they may even be members of either class. They seem to dislike Paladins and Rangers, mostly because members of those classes seem to oftentimes be hunting those of a certain race or alignment, and those who share blood with them, such as goblins or dragons, or extraplanar beings, and this extends to the Dire Mudblood.

Game Rule Information

Abilities
Because many abilities derived from the Dire Mudblood Paragon's Bloodlines are based off of different abilities, no specific abilities are better than others.

Alignment
Any, though predominantly Chaotic

Hit Die
d8

Class skills
The Dire Mudblood Paragon's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill points at each level
2 + Int Mod

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Minor Blood Boost
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Stronger Blood, Skill boost (Con +2)
3rd|+2|+1|+1|+3|Intermediate Blood Boost, Skill Boost (Str +2)[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Dire Mudblood Paragons are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with light and medium armors.

Minor Blood Boost
The Dire Mudblood Paragon may choose another Bloodline to gain the benefits from. The bloodline must be a minor bloodline, but it is treated as already having taken the Bloodline Level that must be taken at or before 12th level.

Stronger Blood
The Dire Mudblood Paragon's Bloodlines often over lap. Ability scores and skill boosts from it's bloodlines stack now, and he gains additional stat boosts to Con and Str as shown on the table.

Intermediate Blood Boost
The Dire Mudblood Paragon's Minor Bloodline gained at first becomes intermediate. He may replace it with the Mudblood (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11257934#post11257934) Intermediate strength bloodline, effectively gaining two minor bloodlines instead of one intermediate.
While the first Bloodline level required at or before 6th is considered already taken (Due to Minor Blood Boost), the second required level (at or before 12th) to continue gaining bonuses from the bloodline, and to not take any XP penalty, must still be taken. Since the level at which it is best taken has likely long past, though (8 HD + 3 Paragon levels + 2 Bloodline levels for the two major = 13), no experience penalty is applied and the Dire Mudblood Paragon continues to gain their benefit until 16th level, at which point it incurs a 40% experience penalty until the bloodline level is taken.

Racial Feats
Deep Blood [racial]
The path from which you descended is a deep, twisted maze. You gain a deep strength from the whole of it.
Prerequisites Dire Mudblood, BaB +10
Benefit You gain 2 additional hitpoints per hit dice.

Strong Line [racial]
One of your bloodlines is stronger than the others, despite it's thick mixture.
prerequisites Dire Mudblood, and an intermediate bloodline from the Mudblood Bloodline, Strong Lineage, or the 3rd Paragon level
Benefit The ability score boost(s) from one of your intermediate bloodlines increases to +2, and your skill bonuses increase to +4. You are also considered to be two levels higher for purposes of abilities with level dependent effects from this bloodline.
Special You can take this feat more than once. Each time you do it applies to a different bloodline.

Blood Gift [racial]
You gain an ability from one of your bloodlines normally beyond members of the the line
prerequisites Dire Mudblood, and an intermediate bloodline from the Mudblood Bloodline, Strong Lineage or the 3rd Paragon level
Benefit You gain the Blood Gift corresponding to your intermediate bloodline, as if you were a Blood King (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213822) and applied a number of BP to the bloodline equal to one quarter your level.
Special You can take this feat more than once. Each time you do it applies to a different bloodline, or you may increase the benefit to an effective number of BP of a bloodline to which this feat already applies equal to 1/2 your level.

Lesser Lineage [Racial]
Another side of your heritage shows through, making you yet stronger.
Prerequisite Dire Mudblood
benefit You gain another Minor Bloodline, although you only gain the benefits of up to 12th level. You cannot gain the bonuses from beyond 12th level until another bloodline level is taken, and recieve a 20% experience penalty until it is. By taking this feat a second time, however, you are considered to have taken this bloodline level, even though you really haven't.
special You can take this feat more than once. Each time you do, it either applies to a new bloodline, or acts as having taken the bloodline level for an existing bloodline gained from this feat.

Strong Lineage [racial]
Your latent heritage grows further, bolstering your abilities yet more.
Prerequisite Dire Mudblood, Lesser Lineage
Benefit One bloodline gained through Lesser Lineage becomes an Intermediate bloodline. The bloodline level gained from or taken after the feat now counts as if it had been taken at 6th. You cannot gain the bonuses from beyond 12th level until another bloodline level is taken, and receive a 20% experience penalty until it is. By taking this feat a second time, however, you are considered to have taken this bloodline level, even though you really haven't.
Special You can take this feat more than once. Each time you do, it either applies to another bloodline from Lesser Lineage, or acts as having taken the bloodline level for an existing bloodline gained from this feat.

Amechra
2011-09-11, 11:40 PM
Still has far too few bloodlines; you only get 3 in all? How preposterously low.

I, of course, would prefer a BAJILLION bloodlines.

<Translation> I like it.

Morph Bark
2011-09-12, 01:33 AM
Dire Mudblood Blood Kings here we come!

flabort
2011-09-12, 09:18 AM
Added two new Racial feats, fixed some broken grammar (incomplete sentences and the like).

Glad you guys like it so far. Anything that sticks out as too strong?

Pyromancer999
2011-09-12, 09:25 AM
Racial Feats
Deep Blood [racial]
The path from which you descended is a deep, twisted maze. You gain a deep strength from the whole of it.
Prerequisites Dire Mudblood, BaB +10
Benefit You gain 2 additional hitpoints per hit dice.

.....Not entirely sure why this feat exists, but doesn't seem unbalanced.

Strong Line [racial]
One of your bloodlines is stronger than the others, despite it's thick mixture.
prerequisites Dire Mudblood, and an intermediate bloodline from the Mudblood Bloodline, Strong Lineage, or the 3rd Paragon level
Benefit The ability score boost(s) from one of your intermediate bloodlines increases to +2, and your skill bonuses increase to +3
Special You can take this feat more than once. Each time you do it applies to a different bloodline.

....A +1 to a few stats and a +1 to a few skills? A little disappointed. If I were you, I'd change it to an additional +1, +2, or +3 to all skills and stats granted by a bloodline, based on bloodline strength.

Blood Gift [racial]
You gain an ability from one of your bloodlines normally beyond members of the the line
prerequisites Dire Mudblood, and an intermediate bloodline from the Mudblood Bloodline, Strong Lineage or the 3rd Paragon level
Benefit You gain the Blood Gift corresponding to your intermediate bloodline, as if you were a Blood King (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213822) and applied a number of BP to the bloodline equal to one quarter your level.
Special You can take this feat more than once. Each time you do it applies to a different bloodline, or you may increase the benefit to an effective number of BP of a bloodline to which this feat already applies equal to 1/2 your level.

I like this one. Good job.

Lesser Lineage [Racial]
Another side of your heritage shows through, making you yet stronger.
Prerequisite Dire Mudblood
benefit You gain another Minor Bloodline, although you only gain the benefits of up to 12th level. You cannot gain the bonuses from beyond 12th level until another bloodline level is taken, and recieve a 20% experience penalty until it is. By taking this feat a second time, however, you are considered to have taken this bloodline level, even though you really haven't.
special You can take this feat more than once. Each time you do, it either applies to a new bloodline, or acts as having taken the bloodline level for an existing bloodline gained from this feat.

So they essentially gain Minor bloodline? If I were you, I'd just add Dormant Blood as a prerequisite, then say you get a minor(or maybe intermediate) bloodline for the bloodline you unlocked through Dormant Blood.

Strong Lineage [racial]
Your latent heritage grows further, bolstering your abilities yet more.
Prerequisite Dire Mudblood, Lesser Lineage
Benefit One bloodline gained through Lesser Lineage becomes an Intermediate bloodline. The bloodline level gained from or taken after the feat now counts as if it had been taken at 6th. You cannot gain the bonuses from beyond 12th level until another bloodline level is taken, and receive a 20% experience penalty until it is. By taking this feat a second time, however, you are considered to have taken this bloodline level, even though you really haven't.
Special You can take this feat more than once. Each time you do, it either applies to another bloodline from Lesser Lineage, or acts as having taken the bloodline level for an existing bloodline gained from this feat.

It's alright.

flabort
2011-09-12, 09:54 AM
Haha, :smallbiggrin:
That's what I get for "finishing up" at 10:00 at night.

Deep Blood.... eh. Wasn't my best. It was supposed to be a "race only" improved version of Toughness. Very improved.

If Strong Line increased everything based on bloodline strength, it would never be used on anything but Major bloodlines. But it is a bit weak. I'll improve on it.

Glad you liked Blood Gift.

I don't, unfortunately, know where to find "Dormant Blood", but I know where I can look it up (Assuming it's official non-Dragon). I'll look it up when I can to see if it will work to fix or better Lesser and Strong Lineage. I did have plans to add a Greatest Lineage feat, but didn't know what to write in the fluff line, so I held off for now.