PDA

View Full Version : wand of enlarge person

dhusarra
2011-09-12, 05:19 AM
in a campaign we found a wand of enlarge person without charges.it is 1/day?its possible?

Etcetera
2011-09-12, 05:25 AM
in a campaign we found a wand of enlarge person without charges.it is 1/day?its possible?

Yes.

If the DM says it is, then it is.

It isn't in the DMG, but it can exist.
Unless it's in some other book that I've missed.

LordBlades
2011-09-12, 05:27 AM
Yup,

Magic Item Compendium has Eternal Wands (one 3rd level or lower spell 2/day) so I don't see why a 1/day wand wouldn't be possible

Killer Angel
2011-09-12, 05:59 AM
If the DM says it is, then it is.

See also: it's magic! (or: a wizard did it)

dhusarra
2011-09-12, 03:16 PM
its from the age of worms campaign setting.says in the treasure, wand of enlarge person.just like that :)

Cog
2011-09-12, 03:24 PM
What you need is provided by the DMG:

Normally, charged items have 50 charges at most. If such an item is found as a random part of a treasure, roll d% and divide by 2 to determine the number of charges left (round down, minimum 1).
Alternatively, it's simply supposed to be a fully-charged wand. But if it's called a "wand of enlarge person", there's no reason to assume it doesn't follow the usual charge rules.

Dragonmuncher
2011-09-12, 03:26 PM
Yeah, it's either an Eternal Wand, or it's just a wand with no charges left in it. Either way, try it out!

dhusarra
2011-09-12, 03:36 PM
and how count it for rounds.as the caster level of the possessor?

Diarmuid
2011-09-12, 03:49 PM
You should probably ask your DM.

We can give you all the advice and opinions you want, but what we say has zero impact on how the item your DM gave you works.

Now, if you're the DM...well heck you can do whatever you want. As for caster level, Wands always have a set caster level. It's generally the minimum level to cast the spell, but that's not a requirement, it's simply used to save money most cases.

faceroll
2011-09-12, 03:50 PM
and how count it for rounds.as the caster level of the possessor?

No, it's the minimum level needed to cast the spell unless stated otherwise. So 1, in this case.

Keld Denar
2011-09-12, 03:51 PM
Well, 1 minute, since Enlarge Person is minutes/level.

1 minute = 10 rounds.

I'm thinking its still takes 1 round to activate? Spell Trigger items are the same time as the spell, with the RC ruling, right?

ericgrau
2011-09-12, 03:59 PM
its from the age of worms campaign setting.says in the treasure, wand of enlarge person.just like that :)

By default that means 50 charges, lowest possible caster level (1 here), save DC 10 + 3/2 * spell level (round down, so 11 here).

I'm thinking its still takes 1 round to activate? Spell Trigger items are the same time as the spell, with the RC ruling, right?
Correct, even in the SRD wands take the highest of standard action or the spell's casting time, so it's the same either way in this particular case. Swifts and immediates get shafted in the SRD.

faceroll
2011-09-12, 04:04 PM
Well, 1 minute, since Enlarge Person is minutes/level.

1 minute = 10 rounds.

Ah, yeah, I meant it has a CL of 1.

dhusarra
2011-09-12, 04:04 PM
ok i am the dm.all the items are from official adventures but didn't say for the duration in that case for wand, rods, staffs and potions.and the potions counts as the level of the pc drinker?

ericgrau
2011-09-12, 04:07 PM
Potions are likewise lowest possible caster level. Caster level 1 for spell level 1, caster level 3 for spell level 2 and caster level 5 for spell level 3. Save DCs are likewise the lowest possible (11, 13, 15 here).

Rods and staffs should have the caster level given in the item description. If not then look it up in the DMG. Unlike other items staffs use the owner's caster level and save DC if it's higher than what the item has.

Keld Denar
2011-09-12, 04:07 PM
No. Most items are activated at their own CL. If you have a Circlet of Blasting, the CL of the Searing Light effect is the CL of the item. Most items are crafted at minimum CL, because thats cheapest. The only items that uses your own CL and stats are Staves.

Its all in the SRD in the magic item overview if you want to read more.

Quotes for GREAT JUSTICE!

Saving Throws Against Magic Item Powers
Magic items produce spells or spell-like effects. For a saving throw against a spell or spell-like effect from a magic item, the DC is 10 + the level of the spell or effect + the ability modifier of the minimum ability score needed to cast that level of spell.

Staffs are an exception to the rule. Treat the saving throw as if the wielder cast the spell, including caster level and all modifiers to save DC.

Most item descriptions give saving throw DCs for various effects, particularly when the effect has no exact spell equivalent (making its level otherwise difficult to determine quickly).

faceroll
2011-09-12, 04:08 PM
The caster level of any item other than staffs are the lowest possible caster level for casting that spell, unless stated otherwise.

So a scroll of teleport? Caster level 9. A potion of cure moderate wounds? Caster level 3.

There are charts in the DMG item sections to help you with this.