PDA

View Full Version : How much is a replicable class feature worth?

Ursus the Grim
2011-09-12, 08:41 AM
A lot of times I see class features measured up against similar ways to obtain that effect, generally not in favor of the feature. Obviously, for it to be worthwhile, it should come to the character before it would be regularly available by other means, but there is no hard and fast rule.

For example, assuming the following examples were otherwise balanced.
Say a base class was able to bestow ghost touch and undead bane to a single weapon at the cost of a few xp. What levels would be good for this? Its specific and unflexible, unlike the Kensai.

What level would fly come at?

How about a beefed-up Circle of Death, including the caster with a mechanic for a second chance?

How does one determine these things?

AmberVael
2011-09-12, 09:09 AM
While I really don't want to delve into all the mechanics and calculations one would use to fully answer your question, I feel it is important to point out that getting something at the same time everyone else might be able to get it is not necessarily a bad thing either. For example, if a class was made with a scaling resistance bonus to saves that was generally paced to match a cloak of resistance that could be bought at the appropriate levels, would that "not be worth it?" There is still the difference between 'purchasing costs' to be considered, after all, because while one character might need to spend a feat, or spend money, if you're getting just as a feature, that is still quite a worthwhile thing to have, because it frees up the resources you normally would have used on it.

Even getting something a little later than you could get it isn't necessarily bad, things only get bad when it comes after you start really needing it (because it essentially becomes redundant, as you'll need to find some way to get it anyway).

Ursus the Grim
2011-09-12, 09:13 AM
While I really don't want to delve into all the mechanics and calculations one would use to fully answer your question, I feel it is important to point out that getting something at the same time everyone else might be able to get it is not necessarily a bad thing either. For example, if a class was made with a scaling resistance bonus to saves that was generally paced to match a cloak of resistance that could be bought at the appropriate levels, would that "not be worth it?" There is still the difference between 'purchasing costs' to be considered, after all, because while one character might need to spend a feat, or spend money, if you're getting just as a feature, that is still quite a worthwhile thing to have, because it frees up the resources you normally would have used on it.

Even getting something a little later than you could get it isn't necessarily bad, things only get bad when it comes after you start really needing it (because it essentially becomes redundant, as you'll need to find some way to get it anyway).

That's true. I was actually considering it, in a way, because part of the use of the class feature is that you're saving money as opposed to purchasing what you need. However, I realized that it falls apart (as much does in D&D) when someone tries to bring spells into the equation.

I think your point has led me to realize that I should be balancing the abilities versus monsters likely at that level, as opposed to the other players, which is something I'll definitely be considering.