PDA

View Full Version : "Start of Darkness" is great!

The Troubadour
2011-09-12, 10:03 AM
That's it, basically. I just wanted to show my appreciation for the book. :-) It had some great jokes and, more importantly, some superb storytelling. I can only hope that "On the Origin of PCs" is half as good as it!

Dr.Epic
2011-09-12, 10:27 AM
That's it, basically. I just wanted to show my appreciation for the book. :-)

Obvious statements are obvious.:smallwink: Yeah, it's a good book. Ton of character development and good jokes.

I can only hope that "On the Origin of PCs" is half as good as it!

Spoiler Alert!
It's not. SoD is in my opinion Rich's best work. Origins of PCs doesn't really have as much character development.

Cicciograna
2011-09-12, 10:39 AM
That's it, basically. I just wanted to show my appreciation for the book. :-) It had some great jokes and, more importantly, some superb storytelling. I can only hope that "On the Origin of PCs" is half as good as it!

First time I read it, I cried at the end of the book.
And I admit it's not an easy task to commove me to the tears.

Dr.Epic
2011-09-12, 11:23 AM
I think the biggest spoiler in that book was...

...the image on the front never happened.

:smallwink:

NerfTW
2011-09-12, 11:34 AM

Origin is not really the same type of prequel book as SoD. It came out very early on and was just to fill in the "how they met" questions. It's very joke and gag heavy, with very little plot. Although you will now understand a lot of what people are talking about with Durkon, whose major plot point is in Origin, and hasn't really been touched on in the main strip.

It's still a good read, but a different kind of story than SoD. Hopefully you aren't disappointed in it. :smallsmile:

Mordokai
2011-09-12, 12:54 PM
I think the biggest spoiler in that book was...

...the image on the front never happened.

:smallwink:

Sure it did. Just off-screen.

Toper
2011-09-12, 12:54 PM
It's... not, really. It's okay, but Rich hadn't really hit his stride yet. Also I think Start of Darkness is an amazing graphic novel, so I'm always happy to see this sort of thread!

Steward
2011-09-12, 02:24 PM
The online continuation on giantitp.com is pretty good too; it features Xykon, Redcloak, and the gang as they quest to release and control an ancient being from its pocket dimension prison, while a gang of humanoids try to stop them. You should check it out whenever you get a chance. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll learn D & D.

Mutant Sheep
2011-09-12, 04:08 PM
The online continuation on giantitp.com is pretty good too; it features Xykon, Redcloak, and the gang as they quest to release and control an ancient being from its pocket dimension prison, while a gang of humanoids try to stop them. You should check it out whenever you get a chance. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll learn D & D.

I hear that giantitp.com has a forum on it to discuss the story too. It's awesome!:smallcool: They focus on the humanoids too much though. Nice to see more information about the antagonists, but that black bald old guy has a fighter son. Why a fighter? Warblade is so much better.

The Pilgrim
2011-09-12, 05:43 PM
The Movie was better.

BTW, did you read it in the original language, or just the english adaptation? I've always found that Rich's work is much better appreciated in the original Klingon. So much of his grace is lost in the translation.

CloakedDancer
2011-09-12, 06:32 PM
Spoiler Alert!
It's not. SoD is in my opinion Rich's best work. Origins of PCs doesn't really have as much character development.

It's... not, really. It's okay, but Rich hadn't really hit his stride yet. Also I think Start of Darkness is an amazing graphic novel, so I'm always happy to see this sort of thread!

I'm going to have to disagree with you guys. I think OtOoPCs is exactly half as good as SoD. And, in my ever-so-humble opinion, that fits:

I mean all he's asking for is half, and that's how I rate it. But then again that's just my opinion. :smallamused:

Thanatosia
2011-09-12, 08:29 PM
OotPCs is just silly funnyness, it's pretty much on par with the first 43 strips of the webcomic/Dungeon Crawling Fools. It's not bad for what it is... but if you are expecting anything as deep or epic as SoD, you WILL be disapointed, big time.

Dr.Epic
2011-09-12, 08:37 PM
Sure it did. Just off-screen.

Xykon never killed an Sapphire Guards in any swamp as a lich.

:smalltongue:

Darthteej
2011-09-13, 01:04 AM
Xykon never killed an Sapphire Guards in any swamp as a lich.

:smalltongue:

ZXykon killed so many people so much that he probably went back to finish off the fort when they tried to rebuild.

But I doubt Redcloak and Right Eye were there...

Tundar
2011-09-13, 01:56 AM
Yes, SoD is indeed great.
On the Origins is also good and most certainly worth reading, but it's not as great as SoD is. At least that's what I think of it.

The Succubus
2011-09-13, 06:48 AM
Hoping my copy of Snips has turned up by the weekend.