PDA

View Full Version : Truename help

alastordracul
2011-09-12, 02:45 PM
I am getting ready for an epic gestalt 3.5 game. As usual for me I can't decide on what to play. The game starts Saturday and I still cannot make up my mind. My current idea is a Truenamer. My last look at the class was about 2-2.5 years ago while looking for a nondivine healer. I know I need a good Int and Cha but that's about it. On the other half I thought about some sort of glyph based caster(ie Geometer). I'm not looking for broken but I do appreciate optimized. Thanks for any help in advance.

Tyndmyr
2011-09-12, 02:48 PM
I am getting ready for an epic gestalt 3.5 game. As usual for me I can't decide on what to play. The game starts Saturday and I still cannot make up my mind. My current idea is a Truenamer. My last look at the class was about 2-2.5 years ago while looking for a nondivine healer. I know I need a good Int and Cha but that's about it. On the other half I thought about some sort of glyph based caster(ie Geometer). I'm not looking for broken but I do appreciate optimized. Thanks for any help in advance.

Forget cha. Only the abilities with saves use cha at all, so go pure Int. You want as much int as you can scrape together. Then, you want as much Truenaming as you can scrape together. Amulet of the Silver Tongue is a must. Ditto Skill Focus: Truenaming. Slap on every other bonus you possibly can. The good news is...epic WBL makes this pretty easy to make work well.

Truenamer is generally the active side of the gestalt. Try looking for a nice supporting passive side. A marshal dip is pretty traditional and useful.

Note that UMD is a class skill for the truenamer. With Epic wbl...use this extensively.

koscum
2011-09-12, 03:06 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214115

alastordracul
2011-09-12, 03:38 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214115

Thank you for this. It is very useful

Abaddon87
2011-09-12, 04:42 PM
The Fiend Binder PRC can be a fun option. Maybe some cleric / Fiend Binder on your non-Truenamer side? I would talk to your DM about what Deamons/Devils you would be able to bind with epic levels and your funds at epic make replacing/getting fiends easy.

You seem to have some idea in mind with your comments about geometer... Did you want to play someone based on language/symbole based magics?

Edit: Oh and look at the rules for Item Familiars. See if your DM would allow it as they can help a lot with your Truenaming skill! They get sweet abilities to boot so its a win/win for just one feat!

alastordracul
2011-09-13, 09:01 AM
The Fiend Binder PRC can be a fun option. Maybe some cleric / Fiend Binder on your non-Truenamer side? I would talk to your DM about what Deamons/Devils you would be able to bind with epic levels and your funds at epic make replacing/getting fiends easy.

You seem to have some idea in mind with your comments about geometer... Did you want to play someone based on language/symbole based magics?

Edit: Oh and look at the rules for Item Familiars. See if your DM would allow it as they can help a lot with your Truenaming skill! They get sweet abilities to boot so its a win/win for just one feat!

I am open to most ideas still. I have been looking at the archivist as well for a knowledge build. The illumian is my current choice for race. I've been slowly reading the truenamer handbook as well as tome of magic.

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-13, 01:58 PM
In epic levels a truenamer could function well as a passive side. Quicken utterances can be used to self buff and apply area or item effects easily (those DC's are easy comparitivly)

I would suggest rather a 20 warblade / MotN x build on the other side. The two stances will provide a great amount of versitility and warblade maunvers will solve so many problems.

Tyndmyr
2011-09-13, 02:24 PM

Fiendbinder...I would just enter that via wizard or something, and skip the actual Truenamer class.

Psyren
2011-09-13, 07:05 PM
Fiendbinder...I would just enter that via wizard or something, and skip the actual Truenamer class.

This; all you need is a feat.

And it doesn't advance utterances at all, like every other damn PrC in that book.

Safety Sword
2011-09-13, 07:06 PM
...skip the actual Truenamer class.

Sound advice, if I ever heard it. I mean always. YES, ALWAYS

Gavinfoxx
2011-09-13, 07:38 PM
Which Truenamer fix are you using?

...Wait, you aren't going to use one of the fixes? That can't be right, which fix did you say you were using again?

There's two main ones, which one are you using??

Tyndmyr
2011-09-14, 06:50 AM
Sound advice, if I ever heard it. I mean always. YES, ALWAYS

Oh, I've built perfectly functional truenamers without house rules...but taking truenamer to go into a class that doesn't progress your utterances is....remarkably poor. It's like going wizard to get into a melee prestige class...except that truenamer isn't as good as wizard.

There are a collection of ways to get skills as class skills. There's the feat in ToM specifically for truenaming. There's human paragon. There's Able Learner, IIRC. There's...was it Keen Intellect? Two skills are now always class skills, and you get a +1 to both? Obscure option, but pretty fantastic.

Plus, Fiendbinder DOES progress vancian casting partially. There's pretty much no reason for a truenamer entry at all.

Amphetryon
2011-09-14, 08:49 AM
For the love of Pun-Pun, eat your ice cream before you start playing the Truenamer.

If you insist, Truenamer 17/Legacy Champion 3//Major Devil Bloodline/Hexblade 7/Fiendbinder 10 might be okay. Flavorful, anyway.

Hirax
2011-09-14, 09:06 AM
From a purely non-mechanical perspective, is there a particular kind of character you'd like to play? That might help spur suggestions.

edit: also, what level are you starting at, and are there any house rules or book restrictions in play?

alastordracul
2011-09-14, 10:08 AM
For the sake of not being flogged I have decided not to play a Truenamer. How does an Favored Soul/Crusader sound? I almost think I could pull just 20 on each side and roll as a lesser aasimar.