PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Race with SR

OMG PONIES
2011-09-12, 04:25 PM
Hello, wise Playgrounders! My request is fairly simple: I'm looking for a no- or low-LA playable race with decent spell resistance. Templates are also acceptable, but I'm trying to stay at or below LA +3. Spellwarped seems cool (from MM...III, I think), but it's a hefty price tag. Any better options? Any official 3.5 source is allowable except Dragon Magazine.

Keld Denar
2011-09-12, 04:27 PM
Karsite(RotW?) are +2, as are regular (non-lesser) Drow.

Essence_of_War
2011-09-12, 04:34 PM
Githyanki and Githzerai are LA+2, and each get PR/SR = HD+5. If you can buy it off, it gets even better with age :smallamused:

Githzerai give better stat boosts and more or less beg to be Unarmed Swordsages or dex-based psychic warriors. The githyanki are a little more flexible and get better PLAs.

Voidmind template also gives SR as the Spellwarped, but it is a little harded to work into a game. Namely, your DM might decide the LA should be higher if you don't have any of the drawbacks, and if you do have the drawbacks they are steep to say the least. Also your brain is mostly replaced with goo. And that's just icky.

Edit: Also, I think that the Karsite are in ToM.

molten_dragon
2011-09-12, 04:40 PM
Drow were my first thought as well. Also Svirfneblin are LA +3 and have spell resistance

Big Fau
2011-09-12, 04:41 PM
Hello, wise Playgrounders! My request is fairly simple: I'm looking for a no- or low-LA playable race with decent spell resistance. Templates are also acceptable, but I'm trying to stay at or below LA +3. Spellwarped seems cool (from MM...III, I think), but it's a hefty price tag. Any better options? Any official 3.5 source is allowable except Dragon Magazine.

Just out of curiosity: Why do you want racial SR? It isn't easily boosted, trivial to bypass, and hurts you as much as it helps you (since you can't accept healing spells or buffs unless you take a Standard action to lower it).

There's actually a very efficient class that gives you spell resistance at 1st level. Said class has the best source of SR this side of Spellcasters, and it's nearly impenetrable until 7th level (at which point Assay Spell Resistance ruins it for you). And as a side-benefit, you can still benefit from buffs or healing spells without worry, since you can control the SR.

If you want spell resistance, play an Incarnate.

Twilightwyrm
2011-09-12, 05:01 PM
The Celestial and Fiendish Templates (+2 LA) both give 5 + HD SR. Not super high, but worthy of mention.
Svirfneblin (+3 LA) have SR 11+HD, which is notably superior to Drow. (That extra point can really help in the long run)

DeAnno
2011-09-12, 09:34 PM
The Celestial and Fiendish Templates (+2 LA) both give 5 + HD SR. Not super high, but worthy of mention.
Svirfneblin (+3 LA) have SR 11+HD, which is notably superior to Drow. (That extra point can really help in the long run)

Don't drow also have 11+HD? Which is effectively ECL +9 vs ECL+8 on the Svirf?

Tanuki Tales
2011-09-12, 09:39 PM
Well, if you don't mind it being subpar, one of the ARFs for Dwarves from Pathfinder gives them 5+Class level SR.

Darrin
2011-09-12, 09:59 PM
I like the Bariaur (Manual of the Planes version): 1HD, +1 LA, SR = 11 + class levels.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-12, 10:14 PM
Phrenic Creature (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/phrenicCreature.htm) gets Power Resistance, which is the same as SR if using magic/psionics transparency.

It would help if you would say what type of character this is for, so other benefits of a given race/template can be considered.

Essence_of_War
2011-09-13, 08:46 AM
Half-farspawn also gets HD+10, as does Pseudonatural (although I think the latter is an LA: - type).

I think Half-Farspawn is LA+4.