PDA

View Full Version : The Black Mage (3.5 E6 base class, PEACH)

Gnorman
2011-09-12, 06:39 PM
The Black Mage

http://slyflourish.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/kalarel.jpg

HD: d6
Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Intimidate, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Profession, Spellcraft
Skill Points: 2 + Int per level (4x at 1st)

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|0|1|2|3

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Spellcasting, Archetype, Rebuke Undead|5|4|-|-

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Lesser Archetype Power|6|5|-|-

3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Fell Knowledge|6|6|3|-

4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Moderate Archetype Power|6|6|4|-

5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Fiendish Familiar|6|6|5|3

6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Greater Archetype Power, Capstone SLA|6|6|6|4[/table]

Class Abilities

Proficiencies: The black mage is proficient with light armor and simple weapons. He does not suffer from arcane failure while in light armor, though he suffers normally from all other kinds of armor and shields.

Spellcasting: The black mage casts arcane spells from a specialized list, which is included below. The black mage need not prepare spells ahead of time - he may spontaneously cast any spell on his list from the appropriate slot. He still requires eight hours of rest to refresh his spells. His sole casting stat is Intelligence, which dictates both the DC of his spells and his bonus spells. To cast a spell, the black mage must have an Intelligence score equal to 10 + the level of spell in question.

Archetype: At 1st level, the black mage chooses an archetype from the following list, each of which conveys a certain set of advantages and abilities. Once chosen, this cannot be changed or reversed. Each archetype has a Lesser power, a Moderate power, a Greater power, and a Capstone SLA associated with it, which the black mage receives at the levels noted above. Each archetype also adds bonus spells known to the black mage's list, which are listed below.

Rebuke Undead: The black mage can rebuke undead as a cleric of their class level. He may do so a number of times per day equal to 3 + his Charisma modifier.

Lesser Archetype Power: At 2nd level, the black mage gains the appropriate power for his archetype.

Fell Knowledge: At 3rd level, the black mage gains an untyped +2 bonus to both Knowledge (religion) and Knowledge (the planes).

Moderate Archetype Power: At 4th level, the black mage gains the appropriate power for his archetype.

Fiendish Familiar: At 5th level, the black mage gains the services of an undead creature, a fiendish animal or vermin, or an evil outsider as a familiar. The black mage may choose any corporeal undead, fiendish animal or vermin, or evil outsider whose challenge rating does not exceed three and whose hit dice do not exceed four. Treat this creature as a normal familiar - a normally mindless undead would now have an intelligence score, for example. However, if the creature's base attack bonus, saves, skill ranks, or intelligence score would normally be higher than what it would receive as a familiar, it keeps the greater of the two. The familiar may not spawn nor summon any other creatures, even if it normally could do so. If the familiar has spell-like abilities, it may not use any whose spell level is normally higher than three - an imp may not use Commune, for example, as it is a fifth-level spell.

Greater Archetype Power: At 6th level, the black mage gains the appropriate power for his archetype.

Capstone SLA: At 6th level, the black mage gains the ability to cast a particular spell as an SLA 1/day, as appropriate for his archetype. His caster level is equal to his hit dice, and the DC of the spell, if applicable, is equal to 10 + 1/2 his hit dice + his Intelligence modifier.

Black Mage Spell List:
0: Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Inflict Minor Wounds, Mage Hand, Message, Prestidigitation, Read Magic, Resistance, Touch of Fatigue
1: Bane, Cause Fear, Chill Touch, Command, Death's Call (CM), Detect Undead, Doom, Ebon Eyes (SpC), Inflict Light Wounds, Net of Shadows (SpC), Nightshield (SpC), Protection from Alignment, Ray of Enfeeblement, Summon Monster I (non-good creatures only)
2: Darkness, Death Armor (SpC), False Life, Ghoul Touch, Inflict Moderate Wounds, Ray of Sickness (SpC), Ray of Weakness (SpC), Shadow Spray (SpC), Spectral Hand, Scare, Summon Monster II (non-good creatures only), Summon Swarm, Wall of Gloom (SpC)
3: Bestow Curse, Caustic Smoke (CM), Contagion, Darkfire (SpC), Deeper Darkness, Dispel Magic, Inflict Serious Wounds, Magic Circle Against Alignment, Ray of Exhaustion, Shadow Binding (SpC), Speak with Dead, Stinking Cloud, Summon Monster III (non-good creatures only), Vampiric Touch

Archetypes

Demonologist
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/compscoundrel_gallery/102045.jpg
Bonus Spells:
1: Demonflesh (FCI), Kelgore's Fire Bolt (PHBII)
2: Demoncall (FCI), Vision of Entropy (FCI)
3: Clutch of Orcus (SpC), Demon Wings (FCI)
Capstone SLA: Lesser Planar Ally or Summon Monster IV

Lesser Archetype Power: The casting time of any summoning spell cast by a demonologist is reduced to one standard action. If it is already a standard action or faster, this power has no effect.
Moderate Archetype Power: A demonologist may use his rebuke undead power to rebuke or command evil outsiders, creatures with the fiendish template, or evil creatures with the extraplanar subtype.
Greater Archetype Power Whenever a demonologist summons a fiendish creature or a creature with the [evil] subtype using a Summon Monster spell or SLA, the spell is automatically extended, and neither increases the slot used nor increases the casting time.

Hexer
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/compmage_gallery/100471.jpg
Bonus Spells:
1: Karmic Aura (PHBII), Power Word Pain (RoD)
2: Black Karma Curse (PHBII), Curse of Ill Fortune (SpC)
3: Karmic Backlash (PHBII), Unluck (SpC)
Capstone SLA: Enervation or Fear

Lesser Archetype Power: As a free action, a hexer can exude fear in a 5 foot radius. Affected creatures are shaken. This is a mind-affecting fear effect, and if a creature saves against it, it cannot be affected for 24 hours. The DC to resist the fear is equal to 10 + 1/2 the hexer's HD + the hexer's Charisma modifier.
Moderate Archetype Power: A hexer exudes an aura that reduces the saves of all foes within 10 feet by 2. There is no save and the penalty persists until the foe has moved out of range of the aura. This ability does not stack with similar abilities, such as that of other hexers or reaver zealots.
Greater Archetype Power: Three times per day, a hexer may elect to treat any roll made by an opponent as a natural one. He must declare that he is using this power before the die is rolled, but may do so at any time.

Necromancer
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/compmage_gallery/100496.jpg
Bonus Spells:
1: Chill of the Grave (SpC), Death Knell
2: Desecrate, Kelgore's Grave Mist (PHBII)
3: Animate Dead, Undead Lieutenant (SpC)
Capstone SLA: Doom Scarabs (PHBII) or Negative Energy Aura (SpC)

Lesser Archetype Power: A necromancer may summon undead creatures of the appropriate level when using Summon Monster, as if he knew the Summon Undead spell line. In addition, when using his rebuke undead ability, a necromancer may command a number undead whose hit dice do not exceed twice his level.
Moderate Archetype Power: The undead commanded by a necromancer are particularly nimble - any undead created by or commanded by a necromancer gains a +4 profane bonus to Dexterity and 10 foot bonus to its base land speed. In addition, any zombies created or commanded by a necromancer are not limited to single actions only.
Greater Archetype Power A necromancer becomes immune to negative energy, level drain and ability drain.

Pestilent
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/bovd_gallery/88161_620_27.jpg

Bonus Spells:
1: Babau Slime (SpC), Spider Hand (BoVD)
2: Spider Legs (BoVD), Web
3: Contagious Fog (SpC), Spiderskin (SpC)
Capstone SLA: Giant Vermin or Horrid Sickness (CM)

Lesser Archetype Power: A pestilent becomes immune to the effects of disease (though he may still contract them and spread them) and to the distraction ability of swarms. He may only carry a number of diseases at one time equal to his Constitution modifier.
Moderate Archetype Power: A pestilent may use his rebuke undead ability to rebuke or command vermin.
Greater Archetype Power Any disease transmitted by a pestilent, whether through a spell or through normal infection, gains a +2 bonus to its DC and measures its incubation period in minutes rather than days.

Void Cultist
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ca_gallery/85429.jpg

Bonus Spells:
1: Lesser Orb of Cold (SpC), Spirit Worm (SpC)
2: Desiccating Bubble (SpC), Wave of Grief (SpC)
3: Evard's Menacing Tentacles (PHBII), Shivering Touch (FB)
Capstone SLA: Black Tentacles or Wrack (SpC)

Lesser Archetype Power: A void cultist possesses a natural tentacle slam attack that does 1d6 bludgeoning damage, with a critical range of 20/x3 and a range of ten feet. A void cultist may use this tentacle to deliver touch attacks.
Moderate Archetype Power: A void cultist may apply the pseudonatural template from Complete Arcane to any of his summons. If the summon already had a template, the pseudonatural template replaces it.
Greater Archetype Power A void cultist gains cold resistance 10 and no longer needs to eat, drink, sleep, or breathe.

Gnorman
2011-09-13, 04:16 AM
No longer in progress. First draft now ready for brutal, brutal critique.

Weimann
2011-09-13, 04:56 AM
While I'm not even remotely knowledgeable about D&D, there's a few things about these entries entries that I'm wondering about.

As I understand it, E6 is meant as a D&D 3.5 game that stops at level 6. When looking at these classes, I wonder if they're not actually stronger than level 6; for example, the Demonologist and Necromancer gains passive and complete immunities to pretty big stuff. I wonder if it's balanced against a level 6 character.

Gnorman
2011-09-13, 07:24 PM
While I'm not even remotely knowledgeable about D&D, there's a few things about these entries entries that I'm wondering about.

As I understand it, E6 is meant as a D&D 3.5 game that stops at level 6. When looking at these classes, I wonder if they're not actually stronger than level 6; for example, the Demonologist and Necromancer gains passive and complete immunities to pretty big stuff. I wonder if it's balanced against a level 6 character.

That's fair. I'm shooting for about Tier 3 for all classes, so are we talking balanced against a level 6 fighter or a level 6 wizard?

Gnorman
2011-09-14, 10:38 PM
Revamped: toned down some of the more egregious powers. The necromancer is no longer immune to critical hits. The hexer had his abilities changed to affect others rather than himself - he can now force foes to roll ones a certain number of times per day.

Bonus feats aren't any fun from a fluff perspective, so I tried to change archetype powers into something different.

Fell Knowledge and Fiendish Familiar added to the class as a whole.

Thoughts so far? I'm going for high tier 3 - would you consider this balanced against that baseline?

D-naras
2011-09-22, 05:56 AM
It seems really good and it sure is about tier 3. But some of the spells i have never seen before. Where can the Negative Energy Ray and Ray of Weakness be found? I am looking at the Green Mage right now and you have noted which spells are taken from non-core sources. You should do the same here too.

Gnorman
2011-10-24, 03:46 AM
It seems really good and it sure is about tier 3. But some of the spells i have never seen before. Where can the Negative Energy Ray and Ray of Weakness be found? I am looking at the Green Mage right now and you have noted which spells are taken from non-core sources. You should do the same here too.

This has been done, and Negative Energy Ray has been removed - it was a holdover from 3.0 that I erroneously included.

Also, the necromancer now makes fast zombies! Or rather, zombies that can take a full round's worth of actions. Seemed appropriate and flavorful.

Gnorman
2012-01-01, 05:26 AM
Fiendish Familiar has been revamped to offer a more customizable choice of familiar. I don't think it's too breakable (though I'm sure Slaymates will be a popular choice), but let me know if you think it's too much. The Black Mage was always designed to be a "pet" class, as its spell list is somewhat narrower than the others.

Eldest
2012-02-10, 11:45 AM
The Necromancer's Moderate Archetype ability has a typo. You have feett instead of feet. That's all I found wrong with this class. :smallbiggrin: