PDA

View Full Version : Gods Help Me, A Fetch Quest (Brainstorming)

Asklepian
2011-09-13, 12:45 AM
Forgive me for what follows: it's about my home game, so the tendency is to run long in my descriptions. I will try to keep this under control. :smalltongue:

Background:

So, the group I DM for has just broken through into Paragon tier, and they're all very excited about their new abilities and where the story is headed. The first act was a huge success, starting with them on the run from the bad guys and ending with them assembling an army from all the allies they had accrued and storming their headquarters and laying it to waste. Some of the enemy leaders escaped, however, and there are hints of a much larger conspiracy than they originally believed.

So, I laid out several plot hooks for them at the beginning of the new act, giving them some options on where to take the campaign. One of them was the discovery in ancient records of the existence of a single archangel left in a demiplane attached to this world when the gods otherwise withdrew from it. This being can only be reached by those who gather a specific key from the high priest of a faith in which they have true belief. I won't get hugely into why they want to talk to this archangel so badly. Short version: knowledge, mostly, since he was there when something very important happened at the beginning of recorded history.

Now, my (foolish) thought when I laid out this hook is they would get one key for one person, who would go in an talk to the archangel and then emerge and tell the others of fabulous revelations and whatnot. In a move I should have anticipated, the group instead decided to get a key for every single one of them, so they could all go in and talk to him.

Obviously, this turns the plot for the next few sessions into pretty much a fetch quest: collect the keys, unlock the gate, whathaveyou. I mentioned outright that I wasn't wanting to trap them in a cliche, but they all actually seemed very excited about the prospect of doing this, since religion is very important to most of their character concepts. So, I'm going to try and run with it and make a cliche as cool as I can.

So, I have to come up with (hopefully) awesome quests related to garnering the favor of the high priests of six gods, each in turn. The gods and ideas I currently have are as follows:

The Raven Queen - The group will arrive at the temple to find that priests and mourners alike have been going missing in the vast, labyrinthine catacombs beneath the temple. Solving the mystery will earn them this key. It will turn out that a person, infused with demonic essence as part of a dark experiment, has made a deal with Orcus, on the promise that the demon lord will remove the essence when the deal is fulfilled. The man is essentially conducting a massive ritual involving corrupted elemental manifestations wreaking havoc in the catacombs, which will eventually both desecrate the entirety of the surrounding lands, and punch a hole through to the Abyss at the center. This is the sort of thing that should probably be prevented, and hopefully they will.

Bane - A Blackguard of Gruumsh has raised a dark crusade to lay siege to the high temple of Bane. His armies must be fought through and the blackguard defeated before the defenses of the temple finally crumble beneath the onslaught. (This may seem simple, but it will appeal to the player of the character who worships Bane.)

Erathis - ? Not sure? I'm thinking maybe something like Croatoan has happened at a frontier colony, and they church wants them to investigate and save the colonists... but that's all I've really got here. I could just skip this one, really: the character is a powerful priest of Erathis, it wouldn't be unthinkable for them to just hand the key over in this case.

Sehanine - A grand, traveling circus dedicated to Sehanine seems to have fallen under dark influences of late, with people in the visited towns disappearing and horrifying rumors wafting about. Investigation by the group will unveil a monstrous creature they allowed to escape in an earlier adventure, an exalted brain in a jar, has seized control of the circus leaders and begun to turn it into his own private freakshow of experimental subjects. The group must figure out what is going on, and destroy the brain, before the circus's and thus the church's reputation are tarnished forever.

Melora - ? Just... not a clue here, honeestly. Could desperately use some help.

Avandra - ? Again, short on ideas. The character this one is for is the rightful heir to the throne of a great empire, and the current king has a tendency to enslave those who cannot pay their extortion-level taxes. So I'm thinking maybe the church will send them to destroy a slave ring where these people are being sold off? I don't know. Open to suggestions.

So, that's what I have so far. Any help with brainstorming would be appreciated. I'll happily provide any other information anybody needs to come up with an idea, I just didn't want to spam this first post with loads of unnecessary background.

Vknight
2011-09-13, 01:47 AM
Lampshade it (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LampshadeHanging) have people question the PC's motives etc. Why do you need more keys if one if enough, but do this when the PC's start to realize it or half way through it. Using your strong ideas.

As for ideas.

~MELORA~
A nature preserve controlled by Melora priests; that was connected to the 'Far Realm' or 'Elemental Chaos' for a century and as such the creatures are rare and unique in some cases. With this you can have it be that influence has returned and the party needs to stop it otherwise bad things.
Explanation: The power from the different realm has caused the area to be highly charged and more of it could cause a rush of Aberrations or Elementals. The PC's can spread the power so the bizarre land grows in size and stop this from happening again or do what the last group did and wait for it to build over a few centuries.

~ERATHIS~
Go for what you got or have it be the key is hidden within a grand library the first structured ever blessed by Erathis. Now have it be the curator is a Lich and he built it from bones. It is a most beautiful sight but some might find it questionable. Now the PC's have a bit of talk with the Lich he may request bones to fix the library or retrieve a text and the key is theirs.

~AVANDRA~
A nation of free thinkers or some other place has gone silent there strong worship of Avandra and her virtues something most horrible must have happened for them to go silent. Can be tied together with others the texts for the Lich are there or the city was a Bane & Avandra place and the Avandra people mostly died in the initial assault. Was it the worshipers of Bane's fault or the Avandraites own pride?

Faye Grimm
2011-09-14, 12:10 AM
I don't have too much experience with the gods(the campaigns I've played have had the gods far beyond reach, and the players have rarely had much interest in investing much of their characters into them), but I'll give this piece of advice. Unless you know for sure that they'll be ok with it, don't skip over any keys with little to no effort needed to obtain it. That could make the player that worships that god feel left out or disappointed. Even if it's something small, such as the lich's fetch quest for Erathis Vknight mentioned(which could be expanded into something larger fairly easily if necessary) will give the player more satisfaction than just being handed the key on a silver platter. Well, in most cases anyways. The players may be perfectly fine with that, but I know I'd rather have a quest for mine in that scenario.

Asklepian
2011-09-14, 12:49 AM
@Vknight - Thank you for your ideas! I'm working a few of them into the plan. Ironically, the lich-library may see use elsewhere in the campaign if not here. Luckily for me, the group has chosen to go for the Raven Queen's temple first, so I have plenty of time to work on the others where I'm less solid.

@Faye - You're probably right. The funny thing is I think I'm more opposed to a fetch quest than they are. I suppose it's not that shocking, several of them are very new to gaming and the others, as I mentioned, have religion as a major part of their characters. So I'm just going to relax and give them each a full-fledged quest. It's not like they can't choose to stop gathering keys later on if they want to.

Faye Grimm
2011-09-14, 12:58 AM
The funny thing is I think I'm more opposed to a fetch quest than they are.

Heheh, I can understand that. In any pursuit I've taken that can be compared to DMing I've either been to afraid to step away from the stereotypical ways of doing it, or so afraid to ever touch those ways that I end up avoiding things that could turn out to be very rewarding. Hopefully this turns out to be one of those rewarding times for you and your campaign. :smallsmile:

Vknight
2011-09-14, 02:20 AM
@Vknight - Thank you for your ideas! I'm working a few of them into the plan. Ironically, the lich-library may see use elsewhere in the campaign if not here. Luckily for me, the group has chosen to go for the Raven Queen's temple first, so I have plenty of time to work on the others where I'm less solid.

No problem. And I strongly suggest the Lampshading throughout on the fact the PC's actually don't need all the keys etc. If they don't get it ok that's what happens with my players but maybe you can get them to move the plot along rather then going on fetch quests.
As for the Lich library its always been a favorite something that is always thought of as evil in control of a vast network which is considered a neutral ground. Combined with the classic bone artwork makes a great image akin to the 'White City' described in the monster manual.

A different idea for Avandra is that a group of anti slavers and Avandra worshipers are now slavers and the priest wants them removed. Then pull a switch up there getting slaves and freeing them. So what does the party do? Ruin the fakes slavers chances or find a different way to gain the key. After all if the priest finds out he will no doubt send emissaries to the fake slavers to congratulate them on there good deeds

theflyingkitty
2011-09-16, 07:08 PM
I have my players soon to be on a quest to hunt down some unicorn hair. However what they DON'T know is that the unicorns tend to crave beating hearts and control poisonous hell-butterflies. It's a somewhat symbyotic relationship.

Asklepian
2011-09-16, 10:40 PM
You should also fill the mystical unicorn forest full of giant pollen grains, a la the movie Legend, only to have it turn out the pollen is horrifyingly toxic. i mean, what other kind of flower would a hell-butterfly pollinate but a terrifyingly poisonous one? :P

Aside from that, I have settled on what I'm doing for Avandra, I believe. Like I said, one of the players is engaged in a revolution to take back the throne he is the rightful heir to, so I'm going to have the opposing forces have begun to round up dissidents who side with the rebellion, and send them off to a 're-education camp.' They come back fanatical supporters of the regime, or mindless shock troops. This has the Church of Avandra very concerned, and investigation will reveal that the camp is built around a horrifying monster imported from a distant land: a mind flayer. Fun times ensue.

theflyingkitty
2011-09-20, 07:32 PM
Pollen does sound like a good idea. My players aren't bright or observant enough to be able to use political intrigue and feints on.

I really like your idea, Askle. It's making me jealous of your players!

Vknight
2011-09-21, 04:18 PM
To continue the pollination idea. One of the best ideas is if the players don't purge themselves of it the pollen turns into a fungus which grows within there lungs. Or it turns them into plant people like Vault 22 in ' Fallout New Vegas'. After all what better defense then things filled with spores of your species that when they die spread them.

Unicorns and things resistant to poison or acid live within the area but things without those resistances get taken over by the spores and then get a template applied.

It would be a simple template something like this

-Spore Body Template-
Resist 10 Acid, Immune Poison, Vulnerable 5 Fire

Spore Explosion
Triggered Action
Close Burst 2. (Attack Bonus) VS:Fort. 2d6+5damage and target is effected by the Spores.
Miss: Half Damage and no Spores

-Spores-
Treat as a disease that those not come into play until the next extended rest.
Cure: Nature, Arcana, Heal, or Endurance. (DC: Reasonable for there level)
First Stage: You lose your minor action. Gain Resist 5 acid & poison
Second Stage: Lose a healing surge. You are dazed at the beginning of every combat save ends.
Third Stage: The spores spread and control you as the dominate effect. & you gain the -Spore Body Template-

To further ratchet up the spores dangerous nature any time the party has an extended rest within the forest make 1attack roll against each of them. If is hits the next extended rest they are effected by the spores.
So even if they cure a member if there still in the forest there going to take chances.
If during an extended rest a target is hit by the spores then any treatments DC increases by 5. That or the treatment heals the target but they are immediately effected by the spores.
Make the Spore disease unnoticeable until the Second Stage. Unless someone uses a Nature, Heal, or Arcana on the effected individual

theflyingkitty
2011-09-21, 06:18 PM
Oh, well, mine will be on a fetch quest to get the ingrediants to remedy because they're all turning into different sorts of undead. Mock-undead, really. But their fault for hot-boxing themselves with zombie smoke in the evil necromancers cave.

Dust
2011-09-22, 09:15 PM
I don't know how useful you're going to find this, but I wanted to share it anyway.

I had a similar problem, sending the PCs on a fetch quest for a relic into a temple they knew to be deserted and unproblematic, and I wanted something COOL and BIG to make it memorable.

So I purchased some thin wooden board, to which I glued faux plastic grass about two inches high, and weighted the bottom with metal nuts so it'd stay balanced. I also picked up several 1cm long mirrors, which I glued to similar wooden strips. Finally, I got a cheap but powerful laser pointer. Finally, a trio of Greenvise Vine miniatures (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/sav_enc_gallery/greenvise_vine.jpg) from my collection.

When the party got to where the item was kept in the temple, they had to open the massive stone door with a red ruby the size of a character's head, which refracted beams of sunlight into blazingly hot bursts of light - it was the temple of a sun god.
Inside the room were the mirrors, standing upright and scattered about, as well as the vines everywhere. The plant creatures were able to shift and move the vines as a minor action, moving the walls that blocked line of sight. After the party killed the first vine, they discovered it was like a hydra, and returned to life on its following turn. The puzzle was solved pretty damn fast, and it became a whirlwind of activity around the table.
The character holding the gem could fire it with a standard action (dealing a small amount of damage), but if the beam bounced off one mirror before hitting the target, the damage was amplified and it prevented the vines from self-resurrecting (the player, accordingly, held the laser pointer). Characters adjacent to the mirrors could rotate and push them.
Of course, the vines got involved as well, and would grapple players and toss them around and cause them to drop the gem/laser pointer, and it became a mad scramble as everyone dived for it in a crazy game of fiery keep-away.

All in all, it was one of the most successful 4e combats I've ever run, cost me less than six bucks, and a great end to a temple fetch quest.

Erm. Fin.