PDA

View Full Version : 10.000 XP / 32 PB / 9000 GP DND 3,5 character build help FOR ARENA FIGHT

dkist
2011-09-13, 02:33 AM
I am planning to be a "ORC + HALF MINOTAUR (dragon 313) + CHAOS (LOLTH) TOUCHED (mm4) + GRUUMSH BLOODED (mm5) + BARBARIAN 1 + WARBLADE 1 with HALBERD + HOLD THE LINE FEAT ;)

Any ideas?

Yuki Akuma
2011-09-13, 02:37 AM
Idea: Scrap some of the templates and get more class levels because that much level adjustment is not going to be good for your HP, base attack bonus or saving throws.

Keld Denar
2011-09-13, 02:37 AM
Other than the fact that you'll only have 2 HD and will get autogibbed by a stray Color Spray or Sleep Spell, no. Make sure your Dex penalty for size doesn't keep you from taking Combat Reflexes.

Oh, and you might want to invest in a REAL reach weapon. Halberds surprisingly aren't. I'm thinking you are thinking of a Guisarme? Or perhaps a nice Glaive? Or a Glaive-Glaive-Glaive-Guisarme-Glaive (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0136.html)?

dkist
2011-09-13, 02:49 AM
Idea: Scrap some of the templates and get more class levels because that much level adjustment is not going to be good for your HP, base attack bonus or saving throws.

My scores are;

18 + 4 ORC + 4 HM + 6 LT + 8 SIZE = 40 +15
14 - 2 SIZE = 12 + 1
14 + 2 HM + 6 LT + 4 SIZE = 26 +8
.12 - 2 ORC - 2 HM = 8 -1
.8 - 2 ORC = 6 -2
.8 - 2 ORC = 6 -2

BA: 2 ATTACK +18! sounds good am I right?
HP: 40 not bad for 2 level character with DR:10/- for 40 damage

Other than the fact that you'll only have 2 HD and will get autogibbed by a stray Color Spray or Sleep Spell, no. Make sure your Dex penalty for size doesn't keep you from taking Combat Reflexes.

Oh, and you might want to invest in a REAL reach weapon. Halberds surprisingly aren't. I'm thinking you are thinking of a Guisarme? Or perhaps a nice Glaive? Or a Glaive-Glaive-Glaive-Guisarme-Glaive (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0136.html)?

I plan to use MOMENT OF PERFECT MIND but its avaibla to SWORDSAGE hmmm :( btw I am large so my character have a reach ;) I use HALBERT to set charge!

tyckspoon
2011-09-13, 02:56 AM
Optimization-wise, Gruumsh-blooded just doesn't do a heck of a lot for you. It's a prime candidate to toss for another class level, or if the DR was the main draw you could swap it for Mineral Warrior (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e); add some natural armor, get yet more Str/Con, DR/Adamantine, and a Smite-like attack that runs off your Con.. with your template stacking, that should be an anything-but-a-1 hit.

You'll probably stand up ok to other martial builds, but if anybody shows up with an optimized archer, an alternate archer (Dragonfire Adept, Warlock, War Mage), or just a straight up full caster 5 (any full caster 5, they all have spell options that will do the job) you're pretty boned; your Will and Reflex saves are going to be terrible, the Diamond Mind save replacer can only cover you once, and 3rd level spells covers plenty of ways for casters to survive a round or two in order to just cast their kill-spell again.

Keld Denar
2011-09-13, 02:57 AM
Yea, but when you are large AND have a reach weapon, you threaten 20' instead of just 10. If you take some of that 9000g and you spend 1400 of it on Steadfast Boots, and 2handed weapon you are holding is treated as readied, without having to spend the action.

And how are you getting 2 attacks? Your attack bonus might be +16 (+15 Str +2 BAB -1 Size), but your BASE attack bonus is only +2. That means you only get 1 attack unless there is something else I'm missing.

Also, MoPM is available to Warblades as well. WBs get Diamond Mind, the school that contains MoPM.

Gavinfoxx
2011-09-13, 04:20 AM
You reeaaalllyyy need to make sure that Sleep and Color Spray don't 1 shot you.

Killer Angel
2011-09-13, 04:30 AM
Any ideas?

Remember to have a backup plan for flying opponents, or you'll be one of the easiest kill in arena's history.

dkist
2011-09-13, 04:37 AM
Optimization-wise, Gruumsh-blooded just doesn't do a heck of a lot for you. It's a prime candidate to toss for another class level, or if the DR was the main draw you could swap it for Mineral Warrior (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e); add some natural armor, get yet more Str/Con, DR/Adamantine, and a Smite-like attack that runs off your Con.. with your template stacking, that should be an anything-but-a-1 hit.

You'll probably stand up ok to other martial builds, but if anybody shows up with an optimized archer, an alternate archer (Dragonfire Adept, Warlock, War Mage), or just a straight up full caster 5 (any full caster 5, they all have spell options that will do the job) you're pretty boned; your Will and Reflex saves are going to be terrible, the Diamond Mind save replacer can only cover you once, and 3rd level spells covers plenty of ways for casters to survive a round or two in order to just cast their kill-spell again.

Mineral warrior is WONDERFUL thanks ;) And you are right its only anti martial build not range :(

Yea, but when you are large AND have a reach weapon, you threaten 20' instead of just 10. If you take some of that 9000g and you spend 1400 of it on Steadfast Boots, and 2handed weapon you are holding is treated as readied, without having to spend the action.

And how are you getting 2 attacks? Your attack bonus might be +16 (+15 Str +2 BAB -1 Size), but your BASE attack bonus is only +2. That means you only get 1 attack unless there is something else I'm missing.

Also, MoPM is available to Warblades as well. WBs get Diamond Mind, the school that contains MoPM.

Steadfast Boots wooow :smallcool: you are missing Whirwind rage alternate feature from barbarian ;)

Remember to have a backup plan for flying opponents, or you'll be one of the easiest kill in arena's history.

I plan to use javalins or someting to add my str? any opinions??

faceroll
2011-09-13, 04:40 AM
I am planning to be a "ORC + HALF MINOTAUR (dragon 313) + CHAOS (LOLTH) TOUCHED (mm4) + GRUUMSH BLOODED (mm5) + BARBARIAN 1 + WARBLADE 1 with HALBERD + HOLD THE LINE FEAT ;)

Any ideas?

MAKE SURE YOU PLAY IN CAPS LOCK. YOUR CHARACTER SEEMS LIKE HE WOULD FAVOR THE CAPS LOCK.

:smallwink:

If you don't mind more intelligence penalty, you can, by RAW, throw the half-ogre template from DR 313 (same place you got half minotaur) on with no additional LA.

2 HD is pretty weak; I'd just go feral half minotaur half ogre, though you're taking like -10 to int.

Pick up brutal throw as a feat. Str instead of dex with thrown weapons. Check out Water Orc. Same stats as regular orc, but with +2 con and a swim speed.

dkist
2011-09-13, 05:01 AM
MAKE SURE YOU PLAY IN CAPS LOCK. YOUR CHARACTER SEEMS LIKE HE WOULD FAVOR THE CAPS LOCK.

:smallwink:

If you don't mind more intelligence penalty, you can, by RAW, throw the half-ogre template from DR 313 (same place you got half minotaur) on with no additional LA.

2 HD is pretty weak; I'd just go feral half minotaur half ogre, though you're taking like -10 to int.

Pick up brutal throw as a feat. Str instead of dex with thrown weapons. Check out Water Orc. Same stats as regular orc, but with +2 con and a swim speed.

Brutal throw + water orc is OK :) But OGRE template is also LA+1 cause I am medium and want to become LARGE for +8str :P

half mino + half ogre is LA+2 and +8str however orc + half mino is LA+1 and +8str

btw MINERAL warrior and water orc??? sounds like a problem???

Anarchy_Kanya
2011-09-13, 06:17 AM
What? You don't like MINERAL WATER? It's healthy.

BlueInc
2011-09-13, 11:25 AM

Whooo boy. I was in an arena fight in a game a while back...as a melee rogue/fighter. My first or second battle was against a flying opponent. With a bow.

Thankfully, the DM let me pull him down with a series of successful strength checks and a grappling hook; wouldn't have worked by RAW, I don't think, but I got my posterior handed to me by a barbarian next round anyway.