PDA

View Full Version : Hammersphere (MIC)

Gwendol
2011-09-13, 06:38 AM
Hammersphere is an object that allows anyone to have a spiritual weapon (hammer) dealing 3d6 damage and lasting for 7 rounds.

My question is how to calculate the attack roll? If I was to rule I'd say it uses the holder of the item BAB and WIS modifier, but I might be wrong.

Gandariel
2011-09-13, 06:50 AM
works as a Spiritual Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spiritualWeapon.htm)

Gwendol
2011-09-13, 06:55 AM
Meaning?

I see two options here: one is well defined in that the users BAB and WIS modifier is used to calculate the attack roll bonus
The other is ill-defined as it uses the casters BAB and WIS modifier (Cleric CL7+ WIS?)

I favor the former, but would like to hear a more informed opinion or official ruling.

Darrin
2011-09-13, 07:35 AM
I see two options here: one is well defined in that the users BAB and WIS modifier is used to calculate the attack roll bonus
The other is ill-defined as it uses the casters BAB and WIS modifier (Cleric CL7+ WIS?)

Since the Hammersphere is not a spell-trigger or spell-completion item, then I don't see how the item's CL is relevant here for anything except overcoming SR and saving throws. From the spell description:

"It uses your base attack bonus (possibly allowing it multiple attacks per round in subsequent rounds) plus your Wisdom modifier as its attack bonus."

Thus, I'd say the "your" here refers to whoever activated the Hammersphere. I can't really say that's a very definitive conclusion, however.

Gwendol
2011-09-13, 07:44 AM
Good enough for me, thanks!

Feytalist
2011-09-13, 07:47 AM
I read that as "hammerspace".

The first option does make the most sense, as Darrin said. Other than duration, nothing in the spell's description is dependent on caster level, so the item's CL of 7 is irrelevant to attack and Wisdom bonus. (Oh wait, and enhancement bonus. Seems that is stuck on +2.)

Gwendol
2011-09-13, 10:12 AM
Great, one more thing; as far as I understand the spiritual weapon strikes as a spell (not a weapon) and therefore any attack roll bonuses have no effect here (such as Bless, Divine Favor, etc) but Divine Power will due to the BAB increase, right?
Feats and actions have no effect as per the spell description.

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-13, 10:23 AM
You are makeing an attack roll with a spell, not a weapon, but are still makeing an attack roll. All bonuses that would effect a spell requireing an attack roll still function (generic attack bonuses)

Gwendol
2011-09-13, 10:28 AM
I don't see support for that in the spell's description, although it would be nice.

It uses your base attack bonus (possibly allowing it multiple attacks per round in subsequent rounds) plus your Wisdom modifier as its attack bonus.