PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing Optimus

Trekkin
2011-09-13, 11:04 AM
I can't be the first person to think of this. A warforged with Alter Self, Polymorph, and so on up the chain can, by RAW, transform into other constructs, and I would like to optimize this ability to make a Warforged whose modus operandi is to simply morph into constructs and go to town on the squishy meatbags. It looks like there's enough of a variety of constructs to make this viable, and of course from Poly on up it's simply another type for added poly versatility, but how to actually build it to balance transforming capacity and fighting prowess eludes me.

My first thought is a Battle Sorcerer, since he'd be using only a few spells known outside of the polymorph line anyway so he'd be no less optimized magically and would be a lot more stalwart in a fight. Speaking of which, Stalwart Sorcerer might also be a good addition to this.

Is there a better way to add at least some daily castings of those spells to a fighter-esque Warforged? Is there something I can do with my familiar, who otherwise would be of questionable value (I mean, come on...it breathes, for goodness' sake)?

In short, if I wanted to build a character revolving around polymorphing into constructs and fighting from there, is there a vastly superior way to do it than Battle Sorcerer?

Prime32
2011-09-13, 11:27 AM
If you like the fluff part rather than the mechanics, there's always druid.

The tattooed monk PrC gets alter self as a SLA, but then you're playing a monk. :smallyuk:

There's plenty of Construct familiars available through the Improved Familiar feat, including homunculi and the guardian familiars from Complete Warrior.

MikolasTheAngry
2011-09-13, 12:57 PM
As far as your familiar goes, I was in a game with a friend who fluffed his raven familiar into, basically, some sort of clockwork bird from Mechanus. Same in-game effects, it was just a robot more or less. Made sense for the character, who was obsessed with the mechanical workings of things--to the point of dissecting kills to inspect how their muscles and tendons pulled on their bones.

However I hope there's some good RAW way to pull that for some benefits. I'm liking where this concept is going...

Trekkin
2011-09-13, 01:09 PM
Well, if I could manage a Giant Bee Effigy Familiar...:smalltongue:

But more seriously, I don't know quite from what way to approach this build. Do I start with a sorc and add fighting prowess, as above, or start with a fighter and add spellcasting?

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-13, 02:11 PM
Start with a wizard - go swiftblade. You take a cha penelty.

Other method - start an artificer, get a wand of alter self... done.

Alejandro
2011-09-13, 02:15 PM
Just remember to kill Starscream right away.

NNescio
2011-09-13, 02:19 PM
If you like the fluff part rather than the mechanics, there's always druid.

Interestingly, wildshape doesn't change the Druid's type...

Go go Optimus Primal!

Piggy Knowles
2011-09-13, 02:40 PM
I would say to go with a Psion (Egoist) -> Slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm), and get a psicrystal familiar.

You'll be lacking a way of casting Alter Self, although Egoists have some other augmentation powers that can stand in.

I believe that the 3.5 version of Dark Sun (www.athas.org) had a Psionic Alter Self, but it has been a long time since I've checked it out. You could also see if your DM would be willing to let you research one via the Expanded Knowledge feat, although that would delay when you gain access to it by a couple of levels.

Madeiner
2011-09-13, 03:38 PM
Ehehe, i play my warforged Artificer and named him Ylem Prime. ("Ylem" is the rune in UltimaOnline for "Matter")

Now i don't remember exactly how i did it, but i had different forms, probably changing into animated objects :P
I turned into a truck, a plane and other things by persisting eternal wands buffs, i think.

It was fun! And i loved that character!

Trekkin
2011-09-13, 04:22 PM
Regarding Prime32:
I could go Shapeshifter druid, I suppose. I'd need a way to cast in metal armor, though, or that feat that strips off a Warforged's armor.

The former would be far more enjoyable, especially if it worked with heavy armor. Adamantine Body would rock.

Come to think of it, is it possible to somehow change a supernatural ability to an extraordinary one? That would work too.

This is certainly a practicable way of building the concept; I was just going for actually becoming the construct, but this has merit, especially if it's possible to somehow synergize it with "X Body" feats.

Or I could keep working on battle sorcerer. I suppose the best way to tell would be to build both and see what I get.

AzazelSephiroth
2011-09-14, 01:53 AM
Actually according to RAW in the Eberron Campaign Setting, I am pretty sure the Warforged`s body does not count as metal armor against a Druid unless you take a specific feat such as Adamantine Body... So you should be good to go I believe if you stick with standard Warforged `skin`:smallbiggrin:

Tvtyrant
2011-09-14, 02:10 AM
Thrall of Jubilex gets infinite polymorph at will, and at will alter self. Also some weak summoning powers.

Frosty
2011-09-14, 02:14 AM
Yo, I hear you like transforming into stuff (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a). This will help and eventually let you transform into things like wagons and statues.

XenoGeno
2011-09-14, 02:34 AM
Warforged druids also keep their armor when wildshaped. So, make a LN druid, only ever wildshape into that velociraptor from MM3, and quote lots of Shakespeare. Behold, you're Dinobot.

Alternatively, dump Int and transform into a T-Rex. Behold, you're Grimlock.

2xMachina
2011-09-14, 04:41 AM
Regarding Prime32:
I could go Shapeshifter druid, I suppose. I'd need a way to cast in metal armor, though, or that feat that strips off a Warforged's armor.

The former would be far more enjoyable, especially if it worked with heavy armor. Adamantine Body would rock.

Come to think of it, is it possible to somehow change a supernatural ability to an extraordinary one? That would work too.

This is certainly a practicable way of building the concept; I was just going for actually becoming the construct, but this has merit, especially if it's possible to somehow synergize it with "X Body" feats.

Or I could keep working on battle sorcerer. I suppose the best way to tell would be to build both and see what I get.

There's a FR deity that allows her druids to wear metal armor. (The wording limits it to armor rangers are proficient with tho)

EDIT: All hail Mielikki!

EDIT2: It's arguable that a ranger Warforged is proficient with Warforged body armor. So, your druid could do it.