PDA

View Full Version : DM question, please help!

INDYSTAR188
2011-09-13, 11:28 AM
So my characters fought a Tiefling Heretic last session and after some difficulties they were able to defeat him. They now want to know what his cloak does and what type of magic item it is, ect ect. I don't want to give this to them as it's written. I would be willing to substitute a level one or two magic item in its place but not something that lets them teleport 5 squares when attacked as an immediate reaction!

My question is both general and specific. The broad part is, if my PC's are able to beat a monster that has a cool cloak or a lightning sword do they just automatically have access to its monster specific items? Also, should I give them an item for this at all? I don't want to be a bad DM either way but I really don't want to reinforce the idea that just because a monster has a piece of equipment they automatically get something for it.

Alejandro
2011-09-13, 11:39 AM
Well, this doesn't really answer your question, but I feel the need to say it:

Never, ever put anything in your campaign where a PC can reach it, if you do not want a PC to have it. They Will Get It.

Sipex
2011-09-13, 11:43 AM
In future instances the items these characters wield aren't magical unless you expressly give the monsters magical loot (which you can make them use, just alter their attacks/defenses to match). Instead these effects are very similar to powers for the players.

The giant lightning sword is made of REAL LIGHTNING. It dissapates when the thunder giant is defeated.

The cloak isn't magic, the Tiefling has trained in arcane arts to dissapear with a swoosh of his cloak.

That said, if you've already told them it was his cloak then you can't go back on it now. Instead, give them a +1 cloak (+1 to FORT/REF/WILL) which lets them teleport 5 squares once a day, like the eladrin fey step power.

That said, are your players old 3.5 players who are new to 4e? If so you should expect a lot of this. In addition, expect a lot of 'If he can do X, why can't I learn to do it? What class is he? Etc." and be prepared to explain the difference between monsters and PCs.

edit: That said, if you're willing to roll with the punches you could allow them to loot any magical looking items whenever they want. Make sure to include them as loot and be prepared to homebrew some stuff.

Asklepian
2011-09-13, 11:44 AM
There isn't a magic item, is the simple answer. The power includes 'cloak' in the name, that's all. This is not an isolated incident in the game, so it's best to just clear this up now with them, I would think.

Show them the monster's stat array, show them the equipment line. Nothing there. A monster will generally only have a magic item if you give it to them directly. Now, when they point to the name of the power, I would do with them exactly what I just did myself: search in the compendium under 'powers' for the word cloak. You will find nearly two dozen powers players can pick from various classes that have 'cloak' in the name, yet do no create an item nor even require you to be wearing a cloak. It is the same thing: merely flavor text.

If you don't have the compendium, here's a few handy examples; Cloak of Peace (Cleric 16), Cloak of Shadow (Warlock 16), Brilliant Cloak (Invoker 6), Cloak of Shades (Assassin 2).

There are similar examples throughout the game with sword, blade, armor... like I said, best to nip this misconception in the bud now. :)

EDIT: Avenger'd. :)

Emongnome777
2011-09-13, 11:47 AM
It would be bad form to not let the players have something that a slain enemy posessed. In this case, however, I don't think that the cloak is the source of the power you mention for the heretic. I may be wrong, but I think it's just an ability that this particular creature has. It's totally up to you whether or not you identify the source of that ability as being in the cloak or innate to that particular enemy. Another idea would be that this heretic had a way to channel that power through the cloak, so it wasn't the cloak only, it was the cloak-wearing heretic.

Edit: Eep, double ninja'd. Now Ninja Burger (http://www.ninjaburger.com/) will never hire me. I must commit Seppuku!

Sipex
2011-09-13, 11:47 AM
There isn't a magic item, is the simple answer. The power includes 'cloak' in the name, that's all. This is not an isolated incident in the game, so it's best to just clear this up now with them, I would think.

Show them the monster's stat array, show them the equipment line. Nothing there. A monster will generally only have a magic item if you give it to them directly. Now, when they point to the name of the power, I would do with them exactly what I just did myself: search in the compendium under 'powers' for the word cloak. You will find nearly two dozen powers players can pick from various classes that have 'cloak' in the name, yet do no create an item nor even require you to be wearing a cloak. It is the same thing: merely flavor text.

If you don't have the compendium, here's a few handy examples; Cloak of Peace (Cleric 16), Cloak of Shadow (Warlock 16), Brilliant Cloak (Invoker 6), Cloak of Shades (Assassin 2).

There are similar examples throughout the game with sword, blade, armor... like I said, best to nip this misconception in the bud now. :)

EDIT: Avenger'd. :)

This is a very good point, follow this advice unless you've explicitly told them they can loot the cloak or said anything like 'Yeah, guess it is his cloak doing that.'

Mando Knight
2011-09-13, 12:00 PM
That said, if you've already told them it was his cloak then you can't go back on it now. Instead, give them a +1 cloak (+1 to FORT/REF/WILL) which lets them teleport 5 squares once a day, like the eladrin fey step power.
Possibly, this being the Cape of the Mountebank.

Sipex
2011-09-13, 01:26 PM
Hah, see? I'm so good I homebrew balanced items which already exist.

*smug*

INDYSTAR188
2011-09-13, 07:40 PM
Possibly, this being the Cape of the Mountebank.

There are two players who I would describe as rules lawyers, one of whom is also a DM. That is exactly what they think it is, however, since the only player who has the Arcana skill was not with the group last session they didn't know anything about the cloak. I appreciate all of the advice and I will absolutely be using it, especially pointing out to them it was his ability and the cloak his way of manifesting it.