PDA

View Full Version : Archive page/individual comic issues

Christian
2011-09-13, 12:30 PM
Hello--the archive page http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots.html and several of the individual comics (eg. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0765.html) are not displaying for me. I just see a page of gibberish. (And I'm not referring to Elan's dialogue.) I'm using IE 8, for the record ...

Zherog
2011-09-13, 12:47 PM
The comic you linked displayed fine for me.

Let's start with the most-common suggestion in this sort of issue: have you tried clearing your browser's cache?

NerfTW
2011-09-13, 01:10 PM
I just see a page of gibberish.

What do you mean by "gibberish"? Could you provide a screen shot? There's a lot of "gibberish" that makes perfect sense to programmers and web developers. Are you running any plug ins? Did you recently make any changes to your firewall? Why does everyone insist on playing 20 questions instead of being more detailed than "computer don't work" in the first post?

Christian
2011-09-13, 01:40 PM
Yes, I did. Did not help.

Christian
2011-09-13, 01:51 PM
What do you mean by "gibberish"? Could you provide a screen shot? There's a lot of "gibberish" that makes perfect sense to programmers and web developers. Are you running any plug ins? Did you recently make any changes to your firewall? Why does everyone insist on playing 20 questions instead of being more detailed than "computer don't work" in the first post?
Well, I was actually expecting that it was something going on server-side rather than with my individual PC ... The 'gibberish' looks like what I see when I open a binary file with a text editor. This is a cut-and-paste from one of those pages that comes up:
ŝsVO8sDz)zzElmMAp LhN|;+сNo/?Oh|H_׷gGO8̩VƹNlkS~xg IlYK㫟⧸ɦzWf_ˇ:*q&|~_{Ok~=?ßu_ߝ*2 x0
That's not the whole page, just a piece, but it's a representative sample. I don't have any plugins that I'm aware of other than Flash and Java. The firewall and the browser haven't been updated since the last time I successfully accessed the comic archive page. (Earlier today.) Full IE version number is 8.0.6001.18702. I'm on a work computer now, but I'll be at my home office in a couple of hours & can try on a different PC and with a real different browser.

Zherog
2011-09-13, 02:04 PM
Just to verify, I have IE 8.0.6001.18702 on my work laptop, and I was just able to view the linked comic.

Bobby Archer
2011-09-13, 05:07 PM
Firefox 6.0.2 over Mac OSX 10.5.8 shows both linked pages fine.

Christian
2011-09-13, 05:26 PM
OK, these work on my home laptop in Chrome, Firefox, and IE8. So it's just my work computer that's messed up somehow ... Cancel red alert!

I guess the only help I need now is how to get my IT department to help me access a webcomic. :smallfrown:

KillianHawkeye
2011-09-13, 09:38 PM
Maybe you could try NOT reading webcomics at work? Don't lose your job over something so meaningless.

Christian
2011-09-16, 10:32 AM
I'm far too valuable to fire! (Looks over shoulder ...)