PDA

View Full Version : Template Character Help

Angeal976
2011-09-13, 01:42 PM
Alright, so first of you should know, for some templates and races, we are going by challenge rating instead of LA and hit dice and stuff. So in our current game we are merely level two, but in the book of exalted deeds, there is the Sanctified Creature template, which only has challenge rating one. So my DM said I could take the template, and I made a Fighter, level one, who was evil, until he realized he was fighting for the wrong things, stuff like that. So his second level is basically substituted for applying the Sanctified One template. So first question, this still means I'm effectively a level two character, right? However since I didn't level into a class, this would mean I lose out on a level of BAB, base save, and hit dice, right?

Also his new goal is to become the epitome of good, and so I'm planning on making him a Saint when he is high enough level. This is another template, that has challenge rating/LA +2, so once I get Saint, I have to use my next two levels to substitute for this template.

So if I am going to be behind by one hit dice/BAB, and saves at this level, and eventually behind by three, is there anything to compensate for it, or is that basically just the downside to using templates?

Greenish
2011-09-13, 01:50 PM
So if I am going to be behind by one hit dice/BAB, and saves at this level, and eventually behind by three, is there anything to compensate for it, or is that basically just the downside to using templates?It's the downside for using templates.

Also, you don't "use levels to substitute for template", unless you're houseruling that, too. If you're just going with LA = CR, I suggest reading up on using monsters as PCs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207928).

Angeal976
2011-09-13, 02:17 PM
It's the downside for using templates.

Also, you don't "use levels to substitute for template", unless you're houseruling that, too. If you're just going with LA = CR, I suggest reading up on using monsters as PCs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207928).

No, we aren't house ruling that. I just wasn't sure what to call it :smallbiggrin: Now I understand what it's all about though, thanks to the link. Thank you for that, and thank you Urpriest for making that.