PDA

View Full Version : evil DM tricks

pseudodragon
2011-09-13, 07:13 PM
this is to be a list of evil things DM's do to their players, such as traps, hazards, and other such things.

Worlok
2011-09-13, 07:15 PM
Bring their girlfriend.

pseudodragon
2011-09-13, 07:18 PM
Bring their girlfriend.
???? what ????

Bearpunch
2011-09-13, 07:20 PM
Kill off a PC in the first adventure. :D

Don't do this. Ever. Unless, of course, they want you to kill them. Which is weird.

Emmerask
2011-09-13, 07:45 PM
Indy trap... not!

So there is this long corridor that is slightly rounded and has scratch marks at the bottom and the sides, "yes exactly as if a really heavy ball did roll down this tunnel" (if your players ask).

At the end of course is a door and a lever, when the level is pushed the door slooowly glides open and they hear rumbling from both sides of the door.
Then they see two billiard sized balls coming at them from both sides of the door... (the sound was just an illusion)

depending on how vindictive you feel, both billiard sized balls have infact delayed fireball blasts inside of them :smallwink:

infinite stairway

A round stairway up a tower (or something), the stairway itself is quite long but somewhere they get teleported back to more or less the beginning (in a way that it is a seamless transition)

Magesmiley
2011-09-13, 08:02 PM
For jump happy PCs, a deep pit with an invisible wall on the far side of the pit. Invisible walls are also good for wizards who like to chuck a fireball into groups of monsters as soon as they see them.

Put non-detection on a bag of holding for parties who tend to just toss all of the loot in their portable hole.

Counterfeit gold pieces in a monster's treasure.

Minor cursed effects on useful magic items.

Magic weapons or armor in the hands of NPCs that are too large or small for the PCs to wield.

There is always the classic chamber pot being emptied from an upper story window when the PCs are in a city too.

Ravens_cry
2011-09-13, 08:16 PM
???? what ????
A better one would be "Bring their girlfriend and shower untold favouritism upon them as manna from the heavens, while all other player characters get dreck and abuse for their pains, which will be plentiful."

SowZ
2011-09-13, 09:19 PM

Don't do this. Ever. Unless, of course, they want you to kill them. Which is weird.

Did it once. What's more, it was his first time with D&D. But... Well... The party was exploring a tower of a necromancer/demonic summoner. The rogue saw a crack in the wall with a Nat 20 spot. So... She pounded it with the butt of her dagger until it broke. There was a secret compartment and a wierd object. But she had broken the object. Breaking it caused all sorts of mayhem.

Mainly, it opened up a small black hole like portal that started sucking everything in. The party members in the room were fighting against the gravity and they probably would have been okay. But the character who died? He walked in, saw the portal, resisted it's pull for a few rounds to stare at it, (his strength was very high, so it was easy for him,) then said "SHABLADOO!!!" and jumped in.

A WoD player should know better!

Bearpunch
2011-09-13, 09:25 PM
Did it once. What's more, it was his first time with D&D. But... Well... The party was exploring a tower of a necromancer/demonic summoner. The rogue saw a crack in the wall with a Nat 20 spot. So... She pounded it with the butt of her dagger until it broke. There was a secret compartment and a wierd object. But she had broken the object. Breaking it caused all sorts of mayhem.

Mainly, it opened up a small black hole like portal that started sucking everything in. The party members in the room were fighting against the gravity and they probably would have been okay. But the character who died? He walked in, saw the portal, resisted it's pull for a few rounds to stare at it, (his strength was very high, so it was easy for him,) then said "SHABLADOO!!!" and jumped in.

A WoD player should know better!

To be fair, it was his fault. Did he keep on playing?

Eakin
2011-09-13, 09:30 PM
Bring their girlfriend.
STEAL their girlfriend.

Not really DM specific, I suppose:smalltongue:

SowZ
2011-09-13, 09:36 PM
To be fair, it was his fault. Did he keep on playing?

Yeah. The party ended up in a plain of hell, (the demonic summoners portals worked both ways.) So he wanted to play as an imp. I homebrewed some stat adjustments and an LA and we went with it. He had fun with a wisecracking sorcerer imp. It actually worked out better, as the character who died was NG and the party... Decidedly not good.

Shpadoinkle
2011-09-13, 09:42 PM
I read about this one a while ago so I don't remember the details of the story, sorry. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to use it myself, yet.

The PCs were assaulting some stronghold or other and had worked a decent way inside. As the enter a large room they run into a LOT of enemy troops. The guy in charge basically shouts "You damn fools! Don't let them open the dungeon gate!" (The PCs were standing next to the dungeon gate and the control lever was right there.) So naturally the PCs opened the gate... and got attacked by the especially nasty monster that was being kept down there while the enemy troops fled from it.

Mindartis
2011-09-13, 09:50 PM
*Roll for attack* 15 total.
"Out of Character, What's (Insert name here) AC?"
"17"
*Gently roll die to total 18.*
"HIT!"

Its old, but commonly used.

SowZ
2011-09-13, 11:25 PM
*Roll for attack* 15 total.
"Out of Character, What's (Insert name here) AC?"
"17"
*Gently roll die to total 18.*
"HIT!"

Its old, but commonly used.

**** move, though. It makes the character investing in AC irrelevant.

Okay, I forgot. I've killed off a character in their first session twice. The second time, though, the character tried to take on over eighty cops singlehandedly...

Kerrin
2011-09-14, 12:19 AM
this is to be a list of evil things DM's do to their players
The following is an evil thing to do to your players...

1. Leave room to get a drink (or something).

2. Toss flash-bang into room.

3. Apply chloroform.

4. Dress / equip them as their puny first-level characters.

5. Toss them into a Thunderdome style arena.

6. Watch them fight muh-ha-onsters!

Herr Munchkin
2011-09-14, 12:44 AM
The following is an evil thing to do to your players...

1. Leave room to get a drink (or something).

2. Toss flash-bang into room.

3. Apply chloroform.

4. Dress / equip them as their puny first-level characters.

5. Toss them into a Thunderdome style arena.

6. Watch them fight muh-ha-onsters!

Bravo.

I'd give you a cookie, but I ate all of mine.

Darkomn
2011-09-14, 12:46 AM
I'm pretty sure The Deck Of Many Things is the worst, most evil "gift" a DM can give to the players

Eakin
2011-09-14, 12:54 AM
Creative puzzle traps are the best way to torture your players. Anything that makes them complicit in their own suffering gets bonus evil points.

About a week ago there was a post on a room where the party enters and get sealed in. An hourglass lowers from the ceiling, behind some impenetrable barrier. It has two minutes worth of sand, and it was suggested you bring an egg timer to enforce this on your players IRL. There's also a red button that, when pressed, resets the timer to the original two minutes. It also deals one damage (or some other trivial amount) to whoever pushes it.

The room unlocks when the timer expires.

TurtleKing
2011-09-14, 01:26 AM
Never, ever give the players a Deck of Many Things to the players. If they are sick of the campaign they will draw from it. If they are inexperience they will draw from it. If they don't want to be left out they will draw from it. That should pretty much be everyone. If not they were absent. I will say this the DM who would include it in every campaign of his even the low magic ones managed to draw the entire deck and survive when he played.

Gabe the Bard
2011-09-14, 01:33 AM
An NPC wizard who offers to identity magic items for you. Never, EVER trust this man, especially if the DM is grumbling about all the magic items you have.

XenoGeno
2011-09-14, 02:00 AM
I let a PC play a Frenzied Berserker. He thought he was pulling one over on me. :smallamused:

Trinoya
2011-09-14, 02:02 AM
I once made a dungeon maze that had a series of interconnecting teleportation doors. Some of these doors led to other sections of the maze, some led to the rooms. The rooms were numerous interconnected doors of all the same dimension, shape, and size. Some had traps, some had clues, some had treasure.

Naturally the players get fed up of the rooms and whenever they see a door open up to one of those specific rooms they just go another way.

Best part: The only way out of the maze was to walk through one of three rooms that were identical to said prior rooms. ^___^ I've yet to have a PC navigate it.

Kittenwolf
2011-09-14, 02:03 AM
Never, ever give the players a Deck of Many Things to the players. If they are sick of the campaign they will draw from it. If they are inexperience they will draw from it. If they don't want to be left out they will draw from it. That should pretty much be everyone. If not they were absent. I will say this the DM who would include it in every campaign of his even the low magic ones managed to draw the entire deck and survive when he played.

I've always disagreed with this sentiment. The DOMT can certainly cause a lot of problems depending on when and how it's used, but if you're careful, and the player(s) are willing to accept the consequences, the game can function fine with it :)
I certainly wouldn't want to use it low or mid level though.

I let a PC play a Frenzied Berserker. He thought he was pulling one over on me. :smallamused:

Oh lord, how many times did he kill the part/guards/important NPCs/horde of puppies?

Kittenwolf
2011-09-14, 02:05 AM
Actually, most utterly utterly evil thing I've ever done.

Party finds a room covered in a pattern of coloured squares like a game board, and a chest on the other side. Something is preventing flight etc magic, you have to cross the board.
Stepping on a tile causes some of the colours to change, and teleports the tile around to another place on the board.

Players finally get to the other side through sheer luck (the board was completely random, no pattern to it), open the chest.. and there's a sheet going "hah, this was just a diversion so that you wasted time, suckers".

XenoGeno
2011-09-14, 02:27 AM
Oh lord, how many times did he kill the part/guards/important NPCs/horde of puppies?

He actually was doing a very good job of fighting in my admittedly high-powered campaign.

Then he killed the healbot cleric. While they were stuck in a labyrinth. In the middle of a three-day gauntlet. After another PC had been turned to stone. And the FB was on his last hit points. And the only other PCs were a wizard, and a samurai with 10 HP left (an OA samurai, but still, built to deal with a specific type of encounter that I had warned the player wasn't going to happen). We ended the campaign there, with a Bolivian Army Ending.

Fun fact #1: the FB was originally going to attack the samurai, but the wizard used that immediate action spell that moves an ally ten feet so that the cleric would be the target, since they figured the cleric with full health and good AC could survive.

Fun fact #2: if the cleric had survived and the samurai died, they still could've conceivably survived the gauntlet.

Fun fact #3: if the FB player had Power Attacked like normal (we had already agreed that unless stated otherwise, assume max PA), he would've missed.

Oh, and the FB and cleric were played by twin brothers. They had the most amusing interactions that night. Hell, the whole party did. The only other TPK that was even half as hilarious was the M&M session where they were wiped out by a fire-using disco dancer (the villain couldn't roll less than an 18, the party got maybe three rolls over 10).

SowZ
2011-09-14, 02:38 AM

I once rigged it to where I drew every card from the deck of many things back to back. I was four levels up on the party and felt kind of like a **** so I offered to use my wishes to help the other party members do the same thing, but they didn't take me up on it.

Kerrin
2011-09-14, 09:30 AM
Get the characters into a temple to a deity of chaos/randomness/luck. They'll do what parties often do in an unknown place, either (a) try to map it out or (b) follow the right-hand rule. Regardless, they'll never get to where it is they want to get to in the temple.

The easy solution? Every time the party reaches a choice as to which way to go, they flip a coin or roll a die. This appeases the deity and the party will end up getting to where they want to go in the temple.

Emmerask
2011-09-14, 09:37 AM
Sounds like the Wheel of Time series and what Mat Cauthon did :)

Eldan
2011-09-14, 09:39 AM
The player once told an NPC to create an unspecified "distraction".

The distraction involved a gang of low-level demons and high explosives.

Inside the city.

Kerrin
2011-09-14, 09:50 AM
Sounds like the Wheel of Time series and what Mat Cauthon did :)
I haven't read the Wheel of Time books, but I should read that series some day.

Thorcrest
2011-09-14, 02:09 PM
Yes you should!

Anyways, back on topic. Not the most evil thing but certainly amusing to me was putting my players in Objective Directional Gravity Maze where every hallway had a different gravitational pull (North, East, South, West, Up, Down), and there were a LOT of hallways, so the players would go into the next hall segment and fall to their heads or to go flying down the corridor, it was ever so much fun to watch them try to figure it out. :smallbiggrin:

They eventually found a rock that they would throw and then brace themselves for the big fall.

EvilDM
2011-09-14, 02:55 PM
I tend to prefer things that blur the line between good and evil, right and wrong when DMing.

One of my favorites started out as a simple kidnapping in a small town. It led the party down a winding campaign plot that ended up with them trying to prevent multiple sacrificial ceremonies and finally facing the bad guy in his mountain lair, the kidnapped girl tied to a sacrificial altar. The party reached the ceremony just as the bad guy was about to kill her, of course. As they came in the bad guy charged them with his ceremonial dagger raised over his head and promptly had his kidneys filled with swords, arrows and possibly a guisarme, which he made no attempt to dodge. The thief had snuck around and gotten the girl off the altar while this happened.

As the bad guy stumbled backwards, he muttered, "The final sacrifice is made" and fell across the altar. At this point the party fled as a Vi'en, one of the ancient 'gods', was stepping thru a portal while the ceiling started to collapse.

The party had misinterpreted the clues as to what the final sacrifice actually was and missed the signs that the bad guy wanted them to locate and reach him (one even commented how easy they had it getting thru the bosses lair). It was a great ending as defeat was snatched from the jaws of success and led to a follow up game that took place years later.

smashbro
2011-09-14, 02:58 PM
on the point about the deck of many things, I was gonna use it (lvl 13) but decided it was incredibly evil, or awesome. basically, way too swingy. made my own. now they have to look after a chicken, 3 of them have a husband or wife, who are actually succubi (one wants a kid, so he will have a half-fiend half-gnome dual wielding flaming sickle flying daughter), a cinnamon bun shirt, and get doctor who inspired items in 15 days.

i like mine.

anyway, evil DM things... I'll probably get some in a couple of days.

Oh yeah. letting the players find a wand of random magical effects and giving it to the players.

the players bluff and tell a sick man that it will heal him, to see what it will do.

magic missile to the face.

Madeiner
2011-09-14, 03:01 PM
Did it once. What's more, it was his first time with D&D.

Heh.
I had a few funny deaths.

New player at the table. He makes a character, joins the party.
20 minutes later the party enters a cave. New players goes in first, ignoring the tank that wanted to enter first, as he was more resilient.
Rogue appears, sneak attacks new player.
Initiave up. Rogue goes first. Full round sneak attack. Dead.

Another is even better.
New player at the table (but old friend). Party is Chaotic evil.
New player starts in a cell inside a dungeon the party was exploring, bruised and low on hp, without any gear. The party comes around the cell and the dwarf rogue starts talking with him. He offers to free him if he comes with them and help them do <something>. New character asks him why, what they are doing here, and why he should help them, and that he wants something in return if he is to help them, in a challenging tone.
The dwarf then shoots him with his shotgun and the party moves on.
Roll up new character!

RandomNPC
2011-09-14, 06:34 PM
An old boxed set from 2E called Dragon Mountain. The final approach towards the BBEG had a series of twisting hallways with one trap per hallway. The best one by far was the pit trap.

A well lit hallway, 20 feet wide, with a pit trap 20 feet across, 20 feet wide, 30 feet deep. The monk and barbarian both decided to jump across at the same time. Into a reverse gravity spell, so they instead "fell" through the paper ceiling, up 70 feet into a spiked pit. Then the party wizard dispelled the reverse gravity spell, so they fell the 70 feet again, plus the 20 feet of the hallway, and the 30 feet of the original pit.

Bearpunch
2011-09-14, 08:16 PM
An old boxed set from 2E called Dragon Mountain. The final approach towards the BBEG had a series of twisting hallways with one trap per hallway. The best one by far was the pit trap.

A well lit hallway, 20 feet wide, with a pit trap 20 feet across, 20 feet wide, 30 feet deep. The monk and barbarian both decided to jump across at the same time. Into a reverse gravity spell, so they instead "fell" through the paper ceiling, up 70 feet into a spiked pit. Then the party wizard dispelled the reverse gravity spell, so they fell the 70 feet again, plus the 20 feet of the hallway, and the 30 feet of the original pit.

:smalleek:
I would have cried if my poor monk died in such a horrific way.

kaptainkrutch
2011-09-14, 08:48 PM

This just happened to one of my players. He charged a Zombie Orc. (Just an Orc with the Zombie template, nothing special) and on its attack of opportunity, it hit him with a critical hit and rolled max damage, which brought him down to -11 hit points. First round of combat in the first adventure.

I left him at 6 because that's some major bullspoon.

Bearpunch
2011-09-14, 10:01 PM
That is still epic. I probably would have let it happen, but made the ressurection be a quick and convienent thing. Just so they get a feel of the horror that D&D contains.

Funkyodor
2011-09-15, 02:08 PM
Evil DM trick I used was ask the players how well their characters (all low level) would do against a Dire Bear. In game, one of the drunk NPC's in a bar told of "Big Red", the maneating Dire Bear with fur matted with the dried blood of his victims. Game passes and no Dire Bear. Next session their characters get around to tracking something down, can't remember what but they thought it was important. It was winter and they came across some old bear signs. They track it back to an unlit cave, but they can just make out a shaggy form in the corner. Thinking they could get the jump on a sleeping Dire Bear and bring it down quick they charge into the Spider Cave. Yes, they were unprepared to deal with poison and multiple sizes and swarms of spider and it was very challenging. A couple of unconscious PC's and several others that had to deal with strength penalties for a while.

Re'ozul
2011-09-15, 06:41 PM
Evil Trick huh, does putting them in situations that seem difficult by design but can be solved via common sense count?

Bearpunch
2011-09-15, 07:35 PM
I would say so.

Eakin
2011-09-15, 07:55 PM
Evil DM trick I used was ask the players how well their characters (all low level) would do against a Dire Bear. In game, one of the drunk NPC's in a bar told of "Big Red", the maneating Dire Bear with fur matted with the dried blood of his victims. Game passes and no Dire Bear. Next session their characters get around to tracking something down, can't remember what but they thought it was important. It was winter and they came across some old bear signs. They track it back to an unlit cave, but they can just make out a shaggy form in the corner. Thinking they could get the jump on a sleeping Dire Bear and bring it down quick they charge into the Spider Cave. Yes, they were unprepared to deal with poison and multiple sizes and swarms of spider and it was very challenging. A couple of unconscious PC's and several others that had to deal with strength penalties for a while.

I would have totally had a dire bear attack them on their way back to town

Traab
2011-09-15, 09:34 PM
I would have totally had a dire bear attack them on their way back to town

The mayor is a were-dire bear. :p They come back for a reward and "RAWR!" /smash

Yourshallowpal
2011-09-16, 06:52 AM
Party's in hell. Homebrew variation of the Pillar of Geryon (for 4.0).

Min DC- the holes in the pillar are for your head + hand.

Mod DC- Those who put their hand in will receive pain, and then a gift (magical hand.)

Max DC- The gift may be greater for putting in the head, but none can say. No one has ever put their head in.

One character, to my astonishment, put his head in.

What do you THINK happened?

Mauther
2011-09-16, 03:12 PM
If you've got a slash and hack party, have an immoral noble send them to kill the red dragon that terrorizing his domain. The sanctified vow of poverty red dragon who's thwarting the nobles evil plans. When the PCs succeed, they are bloody from fighting a really nasty template stack, no richer than before since VoP took care of the legendary hoard of gold, and struck a major victory for evil.

not nearly as large scale, while the PCs are entering a new and forboding section of a dungeon or haunted forest (whatever), ask to see several PC sheets, and act like your looking for something important but are disappointed that its not there till you get to the last PC. Smile nod, jot down a couple quick notes behind the dm screen then return the sheets and thank the PCs. Or when a PC gets hit while fighting an aberations, roll a d20 and ask the player what the PC's FORT save is, any bonus vs disease/poison. Thank them and continue the combat.

The most fun I had was giving the players a break from their low level characters and told them to go hole-hog crazy making 16th level evil characters for a one shot, any race, any templates, just go crazy. Gave them a one shot knock down throw down battle versus a rightous champion of good (20th lvl paladin) and his temple of Dawn where a holy relic was kept. The evil PCs massacred everone and destroyed everything in the temple and its surroundings. a great time was had by all. Once we returned to the scenario, they were told to go to the Temple of Dawn and retrieve a holy artifact, their they would meet a champion of good who could offer all sorts of aid and answer any questions about their evil enemy...

cd4
2011-09-16, 04:19 PM
The dungeon is completely empty. There are no monsters and little treasure (if any) left. The players will get real nervous wondering where the monsters are.

Acanous
2011-09-16, 04:52 PM
Re: Deck of many things

I once had a Paladin who found one of these. Not sure why the DM threw it in, but we were around lv 6 at the time. I pocketed it, told no one, and resisted every OOC bribe and threat, not drawing from it until the rest of the party was dead from the Frenzied Berserker being unable to end frenzy after beating a vampire lord, and a group of vampire hunters came to kill our Sorceror (Who was a vampire, that's why we were chasing the lord, for a cure.)

So after trying his best against the vampire lord, then trying to restrain the berserker (Who ended up dead due to -HP after his rage/frenzy ended) then attempting to talk down the hunters (Which didn't work, they had a radiant servant, turn undead, the end)
I was like "Y'know what? Fine. I reach into my bag of holding, pull something out, and then draw five cards."

The DM, by that point, had pretty much forgotten I had a DOMT. Paladin ended up dead, the rest of the party ended up rezzed, with a giant stack of gems on top of the paladin's body.

GunbladeKnight
2011-09-17, 02:32 AM

Is it wrong that I did this? I mean, it was Paranoia, and the character ran from a train full of indigo+ level vulture troops.

Arbane
2011-09-17, 03:44 AM
Is it wrong that I did this? I mean, it was Paranoia, and the character ran from a train full of indigo+ level vulture troops.

If you only killed one PC, then yes, you were doing it wrong. :smallwink:

Paranoia's a special case, sort of like Toon or any horror game.

GunbladeKnight
2011-09-17, 04:54 AM
It was my first time DMing. And I made sure to kill every several times at least.

Anyways, back on topic. My DM had us searching down the pieces of an artifact, and we believed we would have to reforge it. Suffice to say, we find the 3rd and final piece, they magically float together, and the BBEG is there at the exact moment to take the artifact himself and fulfill part of his plan.

Mixt
2011-09-17, 12:45 PM
Killing that black dragon was a bad idea.

You see, as it turns out, that dragon was the only thing standing between the nearby village and a bunch of bloodthirsty monsters.
Now that you have killed the dragon, there is no longer anything keeping those monsters away.

Congratulations, you are responsible for the destruction of a entire village, hope you are happy.

By the way, the BBEG took advantage and made it seem like you personally burned the village down, so now everyone hates you and thinks you are mass-murderers.
Also, there's a bunch of high-level paladins coming to arrest you for your crimes.
And no one wants to do business with you.
And the king has placed a bounty on your heads.
And the dead dragons family is supremely ticked off at you.

This is what racism against dragons will get you.
See what happens when you go indiscriminately killing dragons just because of their color?

RandomNPC
2011-09-18, 10:20 AM
:smalleek:
I would have cried if my poor monk died in such a horrific way.

Monk had slowfall, Barbarian had HP. They were still very upset at the wizard for not setting up something to stop them from falling before he stopped the reverse gravity.

Ason
2011-09-18, 11:46 AM
The most fun I had was giving the players a break from their low level characters and told them to go hole-hog crazy making 16th level evil characters for a one shot, any race, any templates, just go crazy. Gave them a one shot knock down throw down battle versus a rightous champion of good (20th lvl paladin) and his temple of Dawn where a holy relic was kept. The evil PCs massacred everone and destroyed everything in the temple and its surroundings. a great time was had by all. Once we returned to the scenario, they were told to go to the Temple of Dawn and retrieve a holy artifact, their they would meet a champion of good who could offer all sorts of aid and answer any questions about their evil enemy...

Oh my goodness... that is beautiful. My usual group has a few friendly powergamers (myself included) who like to build ridiculous things like that but not use them. This... this would be fantastic for the new campaign I just started running. The look on their faces as they realized what they just unleashed would be priceless. :smallbiggrin:

TheCountAlucard
2011-09-18, 12:44 PM
Actually, that "build high-level evil characters to wreak havoc on the setting, only for your Good characters to come in afterward" bit was once the basis of a whole campaign of mine. :smallamused:

pseudodragon
2011-09-18, 04:30 PM
something else: buying a book of challenges and telling no one, with a group that is geared towards combat, and starting at lv. one, take them through the book, having combat along the way too keep them guessing.

holywhippet
2011-09-18, 06:13 PM
I read about this one a while ago so I don't remember the details of the story, sorry. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to use it myself, yet.

The PCs were assaulting some stronghold or other and had worked a decent way inside. As the enter a large room they run into a LOT of enemy troops. The guy in charge basically shouts "You damn fools! Don't let them open the dungeon gate!" (The PCs were standing next to the dungeon gate and the control lever was right there.) So naturally the PCs opened the gate... and got attacked by the especially nasty monster that was being kept down there while the enemy troops fled from it.

That ranks up there with suddenly pointing and yelling "My god, what is that" to distract someone for a second. If the players are really that dumb then their death is just Darwinism in action.

I'm pretty sure The Deck Of Many Things is the worst, most evil "gift" a DM can give to the players

Nah, it's chaotic neutral.

On one campaign, we gave an NPC vague directions on where we were going to be heading in the morning. He led a perfect ambush of about 2 dozen enemies against us. The DM was honestly surprised we weren't all killed.

jindra34
2011-09-19, 12:01 PM
Lost woods style room setups with a time limit, and excessive false clues. Took an entire session for players to realize that they missed something.

Elitarismo
2011-09-19, 02:06 PM
Monsters with class levels. Lots of them.

Doorhandle
2011-09-20, 02:59 AM
Remind me of an idea i had.

Two words: Goblin Phalanx

Seracain
2011-09-20, 08:47 AM
Here's one:

The players enter a dungeon renown for its treasure. Upon entry into the first room, they find a scene of carnage; death of many adventurers is strewn all through the room. Bodies sliced in half, individual impaled on walls, victims fallen to pit-traps full of scything blades. All dead by traps, yet all these traps are already sprung, making them an easy task to bypass.

Continuing through, they encounter more grisly but sprung traps, each having claimed its own victim. Yet no two traps are the same, this place is laid with such a varied an array of traps as to make a kobold blush. Yet never do they find a guardian or unsprung trap.

Finally, after roaming countless rooms, they come at last to the final chamber. There lies a dead man, his corpse reaching for the prize, but his body in tatters from the final trap.

And there sits the prize, an incandescent small statue chiselled out of raw emerald, rubies as eyes and fine silk as it's clothes. It is a treasure worth many fortunes. And it sits there waiting, the traps all sprung, completely unguarded.

After the players have pondered this, debated it, and finally given into greed, the fun begins.

As the statue leaves its home, the pedestal lowers into the floor in an audible resounding click. Very soon, the sounds of gears whirring and creaking to life echo out in cacophonous ruin as all throughout the dungeon, every single damn trap resets.

Then you turn to your players and ask, how much attention to detail did you pay? I described every trap for you, so you should be able to get through them no problem, right? Then lean back and smile. The games have begun. :smallamused:

Lord Il Palazzo
2011-09-20, 10:52 AM
Here's one:

The players enter a dungeon renown for its treasure. Upon entry into the first room, they find a scene of carnage; death of many adventurers is strewn all through the room. Bodies sliced in half, individual impaled on walls, victims fallen to pit-traps full of scything blades. All dead by traps, yet all these traps are already sprung, making them an easy task to bypass.

Continuing through, they encounter more grisly but sprung traps, each having claimed its own victim. Yet no two traps are the same, this place is laid with such a varied an array of traps as to make a kobold blush. Yet never do they find a guardian or unsprung trap.

Finally, after roaming countless rooms, they come at last to the final chamber. There lies a dead man, his corpse reaching for the prize, but his body in tatters from the final trap.

And there sits the prize, an incandescent small statue chiselled out of raw emerald, rubies as eyes and fine silk as it's clothes. It is a treasure worth many fortunes. And it sits there waiting, the traps all sprung, completely unguarded.

After the players have pondered this, debated it, and finally given into greed, the fun begins.

As the statue leaves its home, the pedestal lowers into the floor in an audible resounding click. Very soon, the sounds of gears whirring and creaking to life echo out in cacophonous ruin as all throughout the dungeon, every single damn trap resets.

Then you turn to your players and ask, how much attention to detail did you pay? I described every trap for you, so you should be able to get through them no problem, right? Then lean back and smile. The games have begun. :smallamused:I absolutely love that! I'm going to have to see if I can't work it into my campaign.

TheCountAlucard
2011-09-20, 12:22 PM
Only downside is if the players decide to pulverize/utterly dismantle the traps. :smallamused: Or just teleport out, if they're high-enough level.

Mustard
2011-09-20, 03:59 PM
In the context of Paranoia:

Provide a piece of equipment that is fully functional, and provide a detailed, propaganda-free instruction manual.

Stront
2011-09-20, 04:37 PM

Funny, I'm giving this to my players at the end of this next adventure. It is locked in a statue and if they break it open to free a spirit inside it will be there for them to use if they so decide. :smile::smile:

Stront
2011-09-20, 04:48 PM
I tend to prefer things that blur the line between good and evil, right and wrong when DMing.

I agree with blurring lines, my current adventure and (campaign starter) has a rich merchant approach the party with a quest. He claims he bought an abandoned keep for a "steal" and when he showed up it was infested with monsters. He feels like he was cheated but still wants to move in.

The party shows up and starts killing all the critters in the keep, mostly gnolls. Upon clearing the first level they find one room with a magically sealed hatch into the basement. Not having any arcane users they return saying, "Hey we cleared it out all but the basement."

Rich merchant says, "Thanks!" He pays the party and everything ends happily right? Wrong, the rich merchant is actually a Dread Necromancer and wants the nasty artifact locked in the basement. Oh and he never bought nor has any rights to the keep.

So long story short, a poor villager approaches the party concerned about their family member that went to work at aforementioned merchant's keep. They haven't been heard of since and they are concerned because this is so unlike them.

Oops, good party feels bad. :smallwink:

TheCountAlucard
2011-09-20, 05:56 PM
Oops, good party feels bad.Good thing there's not some sort of "sense motive" skill the PCs can invest in to see through that sort of thing! :smallamused:

Dr.Epic
2011-09-20, 06:09 PM
Be really vague and never say yes to anything:

PC: What do I see?
DM: Make a spot check.
PC: *rolls*
DM: You don't notice anything.
PC: So there's nothing there?
DM: I just said you don't see anything.
PC: So there is something there?
DM: I never said that.
PC: Okay. I'll walk through then.
DM: You're just gonna walk through?
PC: Yeah, why?
DM: Um, no reason. What's you're will save again?
PC: Why?
DM: No reason, but you definitely don't see anything in dangerous in this area.
PC: STOP TOYING WITH MY EMOTIONS!
(in reality, I didn't really have any monsters or opponents in that area:smallwink::smalltongue:)

There's also the old stand by rust monster. "Hey fighter, like your new masterwork greatsword and full plate? Rust monster."

Lord Raziere
2011-09-20, 06:54 PM
start a game, recruit players as usual, say that will be starting in a court during an important party hosted by the emperor of a rapidly expanding powerful empire, and let them make characters as usual, allowing them to explain how they got into an important noble party and yadda yadda yadda.

now make them roll reflex saves. before the game even starts.

now start the game.
The court is in complete ruins. some magical attack has destroyed the entire court in one blow, killing most/all of the important people in government/nobles/generals and so on. the emperor is mysteriously missing, not even a corpse to mark his death.
the PCs are either a few of the survivors, or the only survivors of the attack, the reflex saves determining how much damage they've been dealt by the attack.

now watch as the PC's deal with a rapidly dissolving empire, a bunch of previously minor nobles and warlords that start grabbing at land, resources and power, a sudden surge of rebellion across all the conquered lands, sudden invasions from the lands around the former empire and a rapid descent into anarchy, and soon plague, famine and drought, while they try to find out where the emperor is if he is alive at all, who unleashed said magical attack, and why. :smallbiggrin:

Stront
2011-09-20, 07:02 PM
Good thing there's not some sort of "sense motive" skill the PCs can invest in to see through that sort of thing! :smallamused:

Good thing they haven't thought of that yet! :smallwink:

jindra34
2011-09-20, 07:12 PM
Just remembered one. String together a bunch (enough to make them think they are looping.) of empty rooms in a tomb leading to the destination. Add in hidden doors that are heavily trapped and lead to a labyrinthine area filled with lots of traps and dangerous monsters. And leave the treasure completely untrapped.

Dimonite
2011-09-20, 10:10 PM
In an attack-happy party:have an unbeatable foe (for extra fun, one who will deal nonlethal damage) block the only way out. He will knock them unconscious without killing them over and over again until they try just walking past instead of attacking.

JohnnyCancer
2011-09-22, 01:16 AM
NPCs or monsters that excel at disarming, sundering, and or tripping. Fast creatures with reach and Spring Attack.

Darkomn
2011-09-22, 01:46 AM
I think its fun to not give into stereotypes about what kinda monsters the party will be facing.

Oh ya about that haunted tower, turns out commoners can't tell the difference between ghosts and other sorts of ethereal creatures

Or

A crypt without any undead.

Of course they don't find out until after they have bought special items/prepared spells.

Sith_Happens
2011-09-24, 02:52 AM
Here's one:

Then you turn to your players and ask, how much attention to detail did you pay? I described every trap for you, so you should be able to get through them no problem, right? Then lean back and smile. The games have begun. :smallamused:

That. Is. Epic.

Doorhandle
2011-09-24, 07:06 AM
And when your players roll up their next characters, there all dwarf rouges with profession: Mining.

SowZ
2011-09-24, 11:46 AM
I agree with blurring lines, my current adventure and (campaign starter) has a rich merchant approach the party with a quest. He claims he bought an abandoned keep for a "steal" and when he showed up it was infested with monsters. He feels like he was cheated but still wants to move in.

The party shows up and starts killing all the critters in the keep, mostly gnolls. Upon clearing the first level they find one room with a magically sealed hatch into the basement. Not having any arcane users they return saying, "Hey we cleared it out all but the basement."

Rich merchant says, "Thanks!" He pays the party and everything ends happily right? Wrong, the rich merchant is actually a Dread Necromancer and wants the nasty artifact locked in the basement. Oh and he never bought nor has any rights to the keep.

So long story short, a poor villager approaches the party concerned about their family member that went to work at aforementioned merchant's keep. They haven't been heard of since and they are concerned because this is so unlike them.

Oops, good party feels bad. :smallwink:

Killing the gnolls in the first place is an incredibly evil act, though, so this is a moral dissonance thing. It might work in jarring the characters into realizing how evil they are without knowing it. Or they may just view it as a plot hook. Tough to say.

Mindartis
2011-09-26, 09:44 PM
Last session, the Party went into a cave, trying to rescue some NPC's. On their way, they found a dead cat. Our Monk decided to keep it. Me, not knowing what he planned on doing at the time, let him. Eventually, he found a revival scroll, and revived the cat. Then the fun began. First, the found a pit. One of the PC's who was holding the cat at the time failed the check. I let the cat be saved, and the PC took alot of damage. Then, they found a secret door, only to be activated by blood. After much blood trial and error, they discovered it needed to be cat blood, and it needed alot of it. My plans were to kill the cat, but smart playing by the Monk saved it. Then the party was trapped up in the mountains for weeks. The party was going to have to resort to eating the cat, but again, smart roleplaying saved it. I have a particularly devious plan for killing it. I would tell you all, but I have PC's who frequently visit, so I have to refrain until it happens. I apologize, but plan to post soon when it is dead.

Doorhandle
2011-09-26, 09:59 PM
Five hundred internet dollars say you jynxed it and it's still alive by the next session.

Mindartis
2011-09-27, 10:20 AM
I will take your bet good sir. I will even direct the man known as Bearpunch to prove/disprove it's status.

Volthawk
2011-09-27, 11:10 AM
start a game, recruit players as usual, say that will be starting in a court during an important party hosted by the emperor of a rapidly expanding powerful empire, and let them make characters as usual, allowing them to explain how they got into an important noble party and yadda yadda yadda.

now make them roll reflex saves. before the game even starts.

now start the game.
The court is in complete ruins. some magical attack has destroyed the entire court in one blow, killing most/all of the important people in government/nobles/generals and so on. the emperor is mysteriously missing, not even a corpse to mark his death.
the PCs are either a few of the survivors, or the only survivors of the attack, the reflex saves determining how much damage they've been dealt by the attack.

now watch as the PC's deal with a rapidly dissolving empire, a bunch of previously minor nobles and warlords that start grabbing at land, resources and power, a sudden surge of rebellion across all the conquered lands, sudden invasions from the lands around the former empire and a rapid descent into anarchy, and soon plague, famine and drought, while they try to find out where the emperor is if he is alive at all, who unleashed said magical attack, and why. :smallbiggrin:

Evil? That sounds like an awesome start and ongoing plot to a game.

Balor01
2011-09-27, 03:47 PM
I find lack of evil in this thread disturbing. Let's remedy this with:
- PC amputation (sunder limb. before having acess to regeneration)
- buried undead (rising out of the ground)
- etheral undead (who hide into walls/floor when they lose too much hp)
- castration
- rape (ogres, undead, spiders ...)
- not killing PCs, but have them cought by Xill:
Implant (Ex)
As a standard action, a xill can lay eggs inside a paralyzed creature. The young emerge about 90 days later, literally devouring the host from inside. A remove disease spell rids a victim of the egg, as does a DC 25 Heal check. If the check fails, the healer can try again, but each attempt (successful or not) deals 1d4 points of damage to the patient.

Zale
2011-09-27, 04:14 PM
Creative puzzle traps are the best way to torture your players. Anything that makes them complicit in their own suffering gets bonus evil points.

About a week ago there was a post on a room where the party enters and get sealed in. An hourglass lowers from the ceiling, behind some impenetrable barrier. It has two minutes worth of sand, and it was suggested you bring an egg timer to enforce this on your players IRL. There's also a red button that, when pressed, resets the timer to the original two minutes. It also deals one damage (or some other trivial amount) to whoever pushes it.

The room unlocks when the timer expires.

That.. That is so.. Diabolical!

I have got to find some way to use it.

Dimonite
2011-09-27, 10:15 PM
One thing I'm doing is adding a creature I updated from 2nd edition: the Living Web. It looks like an ordinary cobweb, until it starts electrocuting you. Fun to put in hallways, around treasures, etc. - no one questions a cobweb.

BinaryMage
2011-09-27, 10:22 PM
One thing I'm doing is adding a creature I updated from 2nd edition: the Living Web. It looks like an ordinary cobweb, until it starts electrocuting you. Fun to put in hallways, around treasures, etc. - no one questions a cobweb.

Very clever. :smallbiggrin:

Of course, it's probably a one-trick pony. After your characters get attacked by one, they will then attempt to torch all the cobwebs in the future. But I suppose that could be entertaining...

Emmerask
2011-09-28, 06:44 AM
...entertaining because the next cobweb they encounter is actually a clever trigger for a trap ^^

Dr.Orpheus
2011-09-28, 07:22 PM

My DM killed me 4 times in 1 day.

also here are some nasty traps I made for you folks to use

Attach finger of death to an arcane eye spell leting the invisible sensor float through the dungon killing the first thing it sees. Just think of the confusion caused buy a party member droping dead with no visible wounds while no monsters are anywhere neer.

The wall of sharpnes it apears to be a normal rocky wall, but hiden in some of the most handy hand holds neer the top are presure sensitive and loaded with pointy $#!% dealing 1d8 points of damage. This will cause the target to need to remake there climb check or fall, but if not the climber suffers a -4 to climb checks until they reaseve a DC 15 heal check. If the climber is aware of the traped areas they may avoid them by taking a -6 on there climb check trap CR 1 more depending on the hight of the wall

The bone bridge a bridge made of human bones tied together with thick string. It animates as the party walks across it. Frst draw the bridge each square of bridge has all the statistics of a human warrior skeleton (decide what level of warrior would be appropriate and be careful how many squares you make) except the characters can walk across them. You know what will happen when the bridge is distroyed so just let your party do there thing. Each square of bridge can attack an adjacent player or a player standing directly above it, and if any of your players fly the bridge will attempt to grapple them, and for non-flying players the bridge will sway when animated requiring your players to make a reflex save vs. the bridge's swaying check (the str of the weakest skeleton +1/30ft of bridge length + the d20 roll). On a failed save the player is knocked prone, and if they are on the edge of the bridge they fall off in to whatever lies below (it should be lava). The CR should be about 1.25 X what is normal for fighting the same number of skeletons. The same thing can be done with assassin vines (can easly be set aflame), conjoined earth elementals, or animated objects.

You may also cast invisibility and nondetection on a traps making them imposible to find.

Dr.Epic
2011-09-29, 05:59 AM
Make most of the combat situations animals that way there's no loot dropped (unless you're playing with Final Fantasy rules and a pack of bears have magical armor and weapons and a bunch of gil gold for some reason).

Shadow of the Sun
2011-09-29, 06:07 AM
One of my favourites is a chromatic dragon.

Who's wised up and invested in prestidigitation.

"Oh, you brought COLD resistance? Whoopsee-daisee!"

Douhugal
2011-09-29, 06:25 AM
Make most of the combat situations animals that way there's no loot dropped (unless you're playing with Final Fantasy rules and a pack of bears have magical armor and weapons and a bunch of gil gold for some reason).

This doesn't work with a party consisting of goblins though. They will just take the skin, the meat, the bones and anything peculiar of the animal.

Mistral
2011-09-29, 11:01 AM
Only downside is if the players decide to pulverize/utterly dismantle the traps. :smallamused: Or just teleport out, if they're high-enough level.

Dimensional Anchor the statue. "Sure, you can teleport out at any time...but you have to leave the whole reason you came into the place behind you."

Then have an unseen servant ready to carry it back to its original altar and reset the reset trap if they do it, a la Tomb of Horrors, in case they think they can game the system by doing it one or two traps at a time.

EccentricCircle
2011-09-29, 02:34 PM
Indy trap... not!
infinite stairway

A round stairway up a tower (or something), the stairway itself is quite long but somewhere they get teleported back to more or less the beginning (in a way that it is a seamless transition)

I'm quite fond of this one, although I call it the Esher Stairs

i've also used a varient with a bottomless pit, before they reach the bottom they end up back at the top and fall past the landing again. at first this seems like a good thing, until they realise that they keep going faster and faster.

another good one is the Dungeon full of illusions. there are illusionary stairs, illusionary floors, illusionary walls, illusionary paladins,
so that after half an hour or so the players are convinced that the dragon must be an illusion.

it is. they can check if they like

unfortuantely for them the flamethrower isn't.

Randomguy
2011-09-29, 04:09 PM
The most evil DM trick there is a little spell called Nystul's magic aura. Especially if the players frequently make use of arcane sight or detect magic. You can have a room with a nonmagical, but dramatic, throne of skulls made to look like it's bursting with necromantic magic while there are invisible magic missile launchers all around that are made to look nonmagical.

Alternatively, give a team of enemies extremely powerful magic weapons that are made to look like they're only masterwork.

Dimonite
2011-09-29, 05:31 PM
Of course, it's probably a one-trick pony. After your characters get attacked by one, they will then attempt to torch all the cobwebs in the future. But I suppose that could be entertaining...

Oddly enough, they're immune to fire. Also, I have been known to make walls out of sulfur. :smallbiggrin:

GunbladeKnight
2011-09-29, 08:46 PM
So we have this one guy in our group that rolls high, like 3 out 4 crits high each round, almost no crit misses. So our DM devised a trap for him, it was a fun one. All it was was a bridge across a vast chasm, and as soon as you started walking across it, you had to make a will save. Turns out, those who failed their will save believed the bridge was there and were able to cross it, and those who passed disbelieved the bridge fell to their likely death.

Trufflehound
2011-09-29, 08:54 PM
You can make magical traps triggered either by sound or vision, or both. You can put summon monster traps at the only exit to a room. The trap can be delayed, so that it only starts summoning a few rounds after the party gets into the room. The caster who made the traps could have had Augmented Summoning. And magic traps have automatic reset.

So the party walks into a room; a new augmented foe appears every round. They either have to kill the monsters really rapidly or fight completely silently so as to stop summoning foes.

Dr.Epic
2011-09-30, 11:23 PM
This doesn't work with a party consisting of goblins though. They will just take the skin, the meat, the bones and anything peculiar of the animal.

Right, because you couldn't do that with other creatures that do carry loot and I'm sure the PCs won't get angry about never fighting creatures that drop such goods regardless of race.:smallwink:

Doorhandle
2011-10-02, 04:58 PM
Found some more online: (http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/251072-two-dozen-nasty-dm-tricks.html)

late for dinner
2011-10-03, 11:23 PM

I can not wait to use this in my supers game

olthar
2011-10-04, 01:25 AM
Green slime. It really only works once, but it is pretty much a guaranteed kill that one time.

I once had a group of PCs that were trying to get rid of the goblin menace. There were two goblin tribes in the area and the PCs went after the wrong one. The goblin tribe they went after was kind of peaceful (for goblins) and oddly only wore leather armor and only used wooden weapons (staff, club, etc.) when fighting. The reason for this was they were a splinter group of the other tribe who had taken to raising the tribes rust monster colony. Their cave consisted of three rooms and one trap. The big meeting area, a side sleeping room, and the rust monster habitat. When menaced the goblins open the rust monster habitat and close the metal dropgate. Rust monsters swarm towards the metal dropgate and eat all metal on the way there. The only way to get out is to let the rust monsters eat the dropgate.

Doorhandle
2011-10-04, 04:51 AM
Nasty.

Then again, it does raise the question of where they get so many drop-gates, or why they left an escape route at all...

olthar
2011-10-04, 07:46 PM
Nasty.

Then again, it does raise the question of where they get so many drop-gates, or why they left an escape route at all...

The other goblin group (the one the party was supposed to go after) was periodically raiding the iron mines in the area. Both groups combined had a scheme to take out the city using an army of rust monsters to eat through the gates. The town didn't know about the 2nd group, but the party took a wrong turn and found the rust monster half of the goblin tribe before the menacing army type half. I imagine the army half would have built the dropgate(s) (though to be honest I didn't really think my way through what happens after the trap is sprung once).

EccentricCircle
2011-10-05, 05:06 PM
not a trick per se, but in a recent game I knew that I was going to let the players discuss events in character before being interupted by a gunshot.
rather than just say "suddenly you hear a gunshot" I had a small nerf pistol (a type of toy gun that fires small foam darts with suction caps on the ends of them) hidden under the table. which I pulled out and shot at the wall above the players heads making them all jump.
then I told them that their characters heard a gunshot.

Silma
2011-10-05, 09:11 PM
My latest evil idea.

The PCs meet an NPC character. We'll call him Bob. Bob is some sort of fighter/paladin. (it doesn't really matter) What DOES matter is that he is very proud. He is a warrior who has lost his honor. Upon meeting the PCs, he tell them that his honor is everything to him. Then he travels with the party for a while. Now after a couple of quests, assassins will attack the party. Getting suspicious, the PCs will naturally sit down with Bob and get to know him better. At this point Bob admits that he was the target for the assassins. His story is that he was a knight, accused for attempting to assassinate his king. He was in fact innocent of the crime, but he was sentenced to death nonetheless. So in order to avoid execution, he fled. Now the king he once served has hired assassins to kill him.
The PCs will of course try to protect him.
Then, assassins will attack the party again. The PCs will kill them, only to notice that there are two identical Bobs fighting each other. With a successful Knowledge Check, they know that one of them is a Doppelganger, a creature able to take any form it wishes. Now, as the two Bobs are fighting you go ahead and explain them that one of them is calm and focused and the other one is a raging maniac. Then tell them that both Bobs are severely wounded, and that the second Bob (the aggressive one) is winning and is actually ready to deliver the killing blow. Then the Bob that is losing (the Calm Bob) asks for help.
"What do you want to do? Do it quickly" you ask the PCs.
Naturally they will attack the aggressive Bob (the one who was winning) guessing that he is the assassin. As Bob falls dead, he says "Why?"
And they get sneak attacked by the doppelganger who was actually the Calm Bob. (Chances are he'll go down in 1-2 blows since he was severely injured)

Now here's the fun part. The players think you're mocking them. But you're in fact not. See, the doppelganger is an assassin, so he had no reason to be angry. He has a mission to do, and he was calm and focused as all assassins are. Now, the real Bob, was very angry because his entire life had been ruined. So in a sense he really hated those who came to kill them. On top of that, it had been made clear that Bob was way too proud. So he'd never ask for help, especially when this was clearly HIS fight. The doppelganger on the other hand, asked for help, trying to trick them. Which he did.

A perfect way to make a good-aligned party feel bad, by making them kill their own friend. mehehehehe

hangedman1984
2011-10-06, 12:08 AM
The most evil DM trick there is a little spell called Nystul's magic aura.

A thousand times, yes!

DJDizzy
2011-10-06, 08:23 AM
I´m partial to the deck of many things myself.

Silma
2011-10-14, 02:52 AM
I dunno, It seems to me that the Deck of Many things can easily ruin a whole campaign. Cuz if the players draw from it, and they get a couple of negative results, then they'll want to keep drawing hoping to make up for it. Eventually one PC might end with +4 INT, and another PC might end without his equipment, and -1 to saving throws. Seems game-ruining.

HunterOfJello
2011-10-14, 03:50 AM
1. Bring Girlfriend to game
Show strong favoritism to girlfriend
Punish PCs for not dating DM

2. Bring Girlfriend to game
Show strong discrimination against girlfriend
Punish PC for having a party member who dates the DM

~~~

I've commonly heard of #1 and have a friend who does #2.

big teej
2011-10-14, 08:24 AM
1. Bring Girlfriend to game
Show strong favoritism to girlfriend
Punish PCs for not dating DM

2. Bring Girlfriend to game
Show strong discrimination against girlfriend
Punish PC for having a party member who dates the DM

~~~

I've commonly heard of #1 and have a friend who does #2.

I am so thankful that my girlfriend is awesome and that we don't have the whole 'favoritism' problem.

I see boyfriend/girlfriend raised as an issue all the time in these threads.

makes me sad that DMs can't just do their job. :smalltongue:

Shpadoinkle
2011-10-14, 12:52 PM
I dunno, It seems to me that the Deck of Many things can easily ruin a whole campaign. Cuz if the players draw from it, and they get a couple of negative results, then they'll want to keep drawing hoping to make up for it. Eventually one PC might end with +4 INT, and another PC might end without his equipment, and -1 to saving throws. Seems game-ruining.

Hence why he posted about it in a thread about EVIL things DMs do.

Also re. the "DM's girlfriend" thing: People often have a hard time treating people they're close to like people they're not close to. Human are highly social and emotional creatures, and it can be hard to force yourself to act differently towards someone. Some DMs aren't able (or willing) to this, while others overcompensate and go too far.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-14, 01:09 PM
If the party has no dwarves, they encounter a dwarf village that only speaks dwarf. If the party has no elves, they encounter an elf village that only speaks elf. Why should an isolated village have citizens that speak two languages?:smallwink: Of course, this only works if the language is not known by one or more of the PCs.

jindra34
2011-10-14, 01:24 PM
If the party has no dwarves, they encounter a dwarf village that only speaks dwarf. If the party has no elves, they encounter an elf village that only speaks elf. Why should an isolated village have citizens that speak two languages?:smallwink: Of course, this only works if the language is not known by one or more of the PCs.

Or come up with a reason to stick them in a world where no one knows their langauges.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-14, 01:26 PM
Or come up with a reason to stick them in a world where no one knows their langauges.

The elemental plane of fire. That's also bad because everything is on fire. It's like Ozai's personal vacation spot.:smallwink:

Brauron
2011-10-14, 03:27 PM
I have a pretty simply one that I started using in Call of Cthulhu, and now make use of in D&D Dungeon Crawls:

"OK, you're opening the door? Which hand do you use?"

Oracle_Hunter
2011-10-14, 03:34 PM
I have a pretty simply one that I started using in Call of Cthulhu, and now make use of in D&D Dungeon Crawls:

"OK, you're opening the door? Which hand do you use?"
Oooo, that's a good one :smallamused:

In general, asking Suspiciously Specific Questions is a great way to mess with PCs. Everything from the classic "who's in front?" to "how many of you read the text?" works great at making Players nervous.

Ideally, you need to actually have situations where this stuff is relevant, but if you throw enough False Positives at your Players they'll never see the real stuff coming :smallbiggrin:

jindra34
2011-10-14, 04:29 PM
Oooo, that's a good one :smallamused:

In general, asking Suspiciously Specific Questions is a great way to mess with PCs. Everything from the classic "who's in front?" to "how many of you read the text?" works great at making Players nervous.

Ideally, you need to actually have situations where this stuff is relevant, but if you throw enough False Positives at your Players they'll never see the real stuff coming :smallbiggrin:

Or just feed them a puzzle's translation one word at a time. And honestly if you are doing this I'd think you would only want about 50% of the SSQ's/partial information to be relevant, but always used in a situation where it could be relevant.

Whybird
2011-10-15, 11:56 AM
Or just feed them a puzzle's translation one word at a time.

Or during a combat encounter there's a skill challenge to translate the instructions carved into the wall which will disable the traps, but each successful roll only translates a few words... so the players end up with something like "To XXXXXX the beast's XXXXX you must XXXXXX the pool of red without XXXXXXing the liquid, or you will be XXXXXXX".

Hironomus
2011-10-16, 10:00 AM
i've also used a varient with a bottomless pit, before they reach the bottom they end up back at the top and fall past the landing again. at first this seems like a good thing, until they realise that they keep going faster and faster.

Nice except luckily for the PC's there is such a thing as terminal velocity. Eventually they are going stop speeding up. For a falling person, if they fall in a way meant to reduce speed this is at about 195 Kpm. So you see they would be perfectly safe and your trap wouldn't be effective at all :smallamused:

The Glyphstone
2011-10-16, 10:02 AM
The elemental plane of fire. That's also bad because everything is on fire. It's like Ozai's personal vacation spot.:smallwink:

Funnily, whenever I play a character with bonus languages, the Elemental tongues are my first picks. Ignan has all the best swear words.

Dimonite
2011-10-21, 05:16 PM
A fun one I'm doing right now: make one of your PCs love interest an aranea (a spider that can assume human form). Eventually, they will participate in NSFW activities... at which point she will attempt to eat him. :smallbiggrin:

PrinceOfMadness
2011-10-21, 08:17 PM
Make "I just failed a Spot check" syndrome work for you. Call for Spot (or Perception or Awareness, depending on your game) checks when there's nothing to see. If anyone asks, "you don't see anything". Then use the results of their roll later on in the session - you already know whether the monster or trap has been detected!

Small monsters (kobolds or giant rats work well) with ridiculously enhanced Strength scores.

Streetwise/Gather Information checks that turn up misinformation or outright lies. This is particularly fun if your players rolled really well on the check, causing them to lend more credence to the information.

Traditional monsters with non-traditional resistances. In other words, zombies that are resistant to radiant and vulnerable to necrotic, werewolves that are resistant to silver, etc.

One of your players picks up a perfectly ordinary item. Have them roll Will saves at random intervals. This works particularly well if the character has a high Will save, as the tension continues to mount.

Periodically roll dice for no reason at all. Alternatively, after the party makes a trivial decision, pretend to take notes on a small pad of paper.

Pass notes to players. Sometimes these notes should have important information on them, and sometimes they should have something trivial on them. Blank notes are even more fun, as they scare EVERYONE.

"Are you sure you want to do that?"

Emmerask
2011-10-21, 08:32 PM
don´t read if you want to play Tomb of Horror :smallwink:

Well there is an item from this rather famous Gygax Dungeon that pretends to give the user a wish (it tells the one who touches it so telepathical).

When the wish is uttered the wish automatically becomes corrupted AND after that the item explodes with hellfire for 200dmg (I think something around DC 46 reflex for half dmg)

It certainly is a pretty evil dm trick, though more then likely the end of that campaign too ^^

Doorhandle
2011-10-22, 02:14 AM
Make "I just failed a Spot check" syndrome work for you. Call for Spot (or Perception or Awareness, depending on your game) checks when there's nothing to see. If anyone asks, "you don't see anything". Then use the results of their roll later on in the session - you already know whether the monster or trap has been detected!

Small monsters (kobolds or giant rats work well) with ridiculously enhanced Strength scores.

Streetwise/Gather Information checks that turn up misinformation or outright lies. This is particularly fun if your players rolled really well on the check, causing them to lend more credence to the information.

Traditional monsters with non-traditional resistances. In other words, zombies that are resistant to radiant and vulnerable to necrotic, werewolves that are resistant to silver, etc.

One of your players picks up a perfectly ordinary item. Have them roll Will saves at random intervals. This works particularly well if the character has a high Will save, as the tension continues to mount.

Periodically roll dice for no reason at all. Alternatively, after the party makes a trivial decision, pretend to take notes on a small pad of paper.

Pass notes to players. Sometimes these notes should have important information on them, and sometimes they should have something trivial on them. Blank notes are even more fun, as they scare EVERYONE.

"Are you sure you want to do that?"

So send in the Nilblogs?

jindra34
2011-10-22, 07:50 AM

I've done one better, and done a session with only note passing. The first note was make a will save, write the result down and pass it back. Fun to see paranoia seep in to a group.

Sgt. Cookie
2011-10-22, 09:13 AM
Three words: Evil. Squirrel. Sorcerers.

big teej
2011-10-22, 01:08 PM
I've done one better, and done a session with only note passing. The first note was make a will save, write the result down and pass it back. Fun to see paranoia seep in to a group.

would you elaborate on how you managed to run an entire x hour long session JUST by passing notes?

I'd love to try this, but I just can't fathom passing notes for 4 hours....

jindra34
2011-10-22, 01:11 PM
would you elaborate on how you managed to run an entire x hour long session JUST by passing notes?

I'd love to try this, but I just can't fathom passing notes for 4 hours....

3 hour session, lots of pre-printed notes. And it was only communication between me a players that was in the notes. Players were allowed to communicate as they willed but table talk was considered in game talk. Essentially needs a mass of prep work.

big teej
2011-10-22, 01:23 PM
3 hour session, lots of pre-printed notes. And it was only communication between me a players that was in the notes. Players were allowed to communicate as they willed but table talk was considered in game talk. Essentially needs a mass of prep work.

so was it a heavy role-play session? or was combat run normally and everything else was done by notes?

jindra34
2011-10-22, 01:30 PM
so was it a heavy role-play session? or was combat run normally and everything else was done by notes?
There was a short fight at the start, which the enemy cast a spell and then ran from. Then it was chasing the guy through his own trap filled tower. With the rogue under the guy's charm spell.

Sith_Happens
2011-10-22, 11:55 PM
A fun one I'm doing right now: make one of your PCs love interest an aranea (a spider that can assume human form). Eventually, they will participate in NSFW activities... at which point she will attempt to eat him. :smallbiggrin:

Similarly, for whatever reason there is a succubus in the tavern (shapeshifted/disguised, of course). By the time whichever of your PC's figures out that he's actually getting very unlucky, it's probably too late.:smallwink:

Lord Raziere
2011-10-23, 02:25 AM
Evil? That sounds like an awesome start and ongoing plot to a game.

The evilest things are. (either that, or I mistake awesome for evil, in which case I must be as evil as possible to make awesome that I mistake for evil)

another:
gather the party as usual. in a tavern, in a village, to go into an abandoned castle.
tell the same tales of things and legends dwelling in it, and what wonders might lie inside.
but.
now roleplay that all the people in the village near it- are too scared to even enter. so scared, that the mayor begs the PCs not to go in.

and so after they go in……they find no physical traps, nothing of the sort.
they don't find hordes of enemies inside.
instead, they find various strange scenarios:
a room where you have to kill all the goblins to get the treasure, but once you kill all the goblins, you still don't get the treasure- because there is a goblin and mother and child still in the room you haven't killed yet.
a beautiful, unguarded blade that when picked up starts corrupting the wielder like the One Ring.
spirits and apparitions of people the characters know start popping up around them, telling the PCs not to trust each other, they only just met these people at a tavern how can the possibly trust each other?
a voice that comes from nowhere, questioning their every choice and decision, insulting them, skeptically being the devils advocate towards every viewpoint and morality the PCs uphold and just generally being unhelpful.
all the while they go deeper into the castle, there doesn't seem to be an end to it, and the rooms seem to shift so that they are unable to find their way back, and the scenarios just keep getting more sadistic and confusing, psychologically tearing at the players and the PC's heads until they cannot take it anymore and start killing each other out of distrust and paranoia.

all the while, the players never find out anything about the castle itself, why all this is happening or the truth of anything in the castle. even if they rolled a natural 20 on their knowledge check…the response would be "Even the gods know nothing of this place. this castle has defied all attempts at knowing what it is throughout all time."

rweird
2011-10-23, 07:30 AM
put Allips with combat reflexes in the walls and have them take AoO on the divine casters. Better yet have the be summoned by summon undead V so the PCs don't get EXP for defeating them.

bloodtide
2011-10-23, 01:02 PM
Counterfeit gold pieces in a monster's treasure.

Even better....1E/2E had Goldbugs. Tiny gold colored beetles that all curled up looked like gold coins. But when you picked one up they would uncurl and bite with a nasty poison!

Brauron
2011-10-23, 03:01 PM
When a PC declares an action, slowly arch an eyebrow, let your lips curl up a little bit into a slight smile, and after a moment, comment quietly, "You do? Excellent..." and then resolve the action normally.

Chaos rising
2011-10-23, 07:03 PM
Create a campaign where things happen without the involvement of the PCs. I once started a new campaign in which I had several different factions set up, as well as what would happen in the area based on how each of these factions acted and reacted if the PCs did not interfere. As usual, my group spent about a week goofing around town and robbing the NPCs without trying to figure out what was going on in the storyline. As a result, they were totally blindsided by when a giant demon (whose summoning could have easily been stopped two days prior) stormed through the city and killed them.

Vella_Malachite
2011-10-23, 11:31 PM
My last session with my group was hilarious from my POV. The session played out like this (guff and non-evil gameplay removed)

First, they were given a job in another town. On the way there, they were woken at night by a voice on the wind. Investigating it, as PCs do, they found that it was a man on a black head, his head (the colour of mouldy cheese) tucked his arm, shouting a string of names faster and faster until they blur together. He doesn't appear to notice them.
One player makes a Knowledge check: he finds out that 1) it's shouting out the names of those soon to die, and 2) it's a creature which puts out the eyes of travellers who see it with a whip made of a human spinal cord as punishment.
Cue the characters not sleeping for the next three nights.

After they arrive in the city and complete their job, they learn a little about the Lord, who's become very paranoid. They also spot a beggar in the street. One of them is particularly emaciated, and starving to the point where he can't even speak. One of my characters gives him some bread, which he wolfs down. Normal so far. The character then puts a coin in his begging bowl. It disappears. The characters just about flee down the alley, remembering the guy with the spinal cord whip. Turns out, it's just a harbinger spirit of famine.

Then, as they're planning their escape, the gates lock for the night and won't be opened until the next day. My players then very nearly don't go and find out what the speech is about, but eventually one of them convinces the others to go and try to stay on the sidelines in case anything happens. What actually happens is that the entire crowd starts screaming, including them, then there's an explosion leaving four people in the square with various forms of disfigurement and madness afflicting them.

So now, my characters are absolutely petrified, drinking in a tavern across the country, when we ended the session.

Other tricks for this campaign:
- Several different kinds of contagious, difficult-to-spot insanities
- Demons which attach themselves to a person, create a bond of obsession in the person, then suck away their life force. Oh, and it disguises itself as a child needing their protection (my party are goodie-goodies to a man).
Among other things pretending to be, if not harmless, then at least not as actively malignant as they turn out to be. Not to mention a story solution which seems obvious, but is a trap if they get to it too late.

The Random NPC
2011-10-24, 05:34 AM
Even better....1E/2E had Goldbugs. Tiny gold colored beetles that all curled up looked like gold coins. But when you picked one up they would uncurl and bite with a nasty poison!

Along this idea, check out some of these monsters. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132720)

Ason
2011-10-25, 12:46 AM
At work today, a certain phrase was stuck in my head that spawned an idea for a little item that will now definitely appear in one of my future campaigns:

While looting a villain's lair, the party will discover an ornate treasure chest containing only a wig that detects as magical. Whoever puts it on will find that it bonds to their scalp and lets them style their hair however they like at-will, whether that is a rainbow mohawk, red tonsure, blond dreadlocks or teal crew cut. However, the wig can only be taken off via a Remove Curse of a high caster level (definitely higher than what the party can easily access). Further, it forcibly turns the wearer's alignment towards Lawful Evil over several days (with effects similar to a Helm of Opposite Alignment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#helmofOppositeAlignment)). If the person wearing the wig is ever reduced to 25% of his maximum hit points, the wig summons 2d3 imps who immediately defend the person from both the party's enemies and anyone who is not Lawful Evil (i.e. imps will often attack party members unprovoked).

The phrase that inspired me is the same as the cursed item's name- hell to pay. Say it out loud, if you have trouble getting the joke. :smallwink:

Sith_Happens
2011-10-25, 12:49 PM
At work today, a certain phrase was stuck in my head that spawned an idea for a little item that will now definitely appear in one of my future campaigns:

While looting a villain's lair, the party will discover an ornate treasure chest containing only a wig that detects as magical. Whoever puts it on will find that it bonds to their scalp and lets them style their hair however they like at-will, whether that is a rainbow mohawk, red tonsure, blond dreadlocks or teal crew cut. However, the wig can only be taken off via a Remove Curse of a high caster level (definitely higher than what the party can easily access). Further, it forcibly turns the wearer's alignment towards Lawful Evil over several days (with effects similar to a Helm of Opposite Alignment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#helmofOppositeAlignment)). If the person wearing the wig is ever reduced to 25% of his maximum hit points, the wig summons 2d3 imps who immediately defend the person from both the party's enemies and anyone who is not Lawful Evil (i.e. imps will often attack party members unprovoked).

The phrase that inspired me is the same as the cursed item's name- hell to pay. Say it out loud, if you have trouble getting the joke. :smallwink:

And here I thought you were just making a roundabout and possibly obscure(ish) Simpsons reference.:smallwink:

QuidEst
2011-10-25, 07:31 PM
Well, on the topic of cheap good/evil bait-and-switch tactics, you can also do a bit of out-meta-ing.

Let us say there's an fine, upstanding wizard/sorcerer/cleric/other magic user in the community, somebody very powerful (read: power level of somebody likely to be a boss down the road). They're well respected, have the ear of several major political figures, and are known to donate either their talents or money to several charities. The PCs then catch sight of said magic user doing something Very Bad- probably involving some deaths that wouldn't be noticed. If they try to pursue, the magic user throws up a Wall of Force and makes a getaway, leaving some flimsy evidence behind.

If the players approach anybody important, there will be a great deal of doubt and the insistence that the magic user is far too kind/respectable/glowing adjective to do something Very Bad. The PCs must be mistaken. On a meta level, if this is played correctly, it's the sort of thing that can convince them that they're absolutely right.

If they barge in on the magic user past a number of annoying traps (things that seal you in place, etc.) and pick a fight, whoop them soundly but let them live. If they win the level-inappropriate encounter, let them loot the place, search for evidence, and deal with the huge loads of trouble that ensue once things get out.

The real villain used illusions over planted flimsy evidence (eg. ashes of the bodies) and had a Wall of Force in place already. A braver villain might even carry it out using a disguise, or disguise Dominated civvies. He wished to pit either two enemies against one another, or else he didn't care about either the PCs or the magic user and hoped the one he did care about would lose/be distracted during a key event. Closer inspection of the evidence might reveal that, say, the ashes were cool. A simpler version might be sending a summoned whatever after the PCs that claims (and might even believe it- handy for Sense Motive, etc.) to be sent by the magic user (who- whoops- doesn't know summoning magic!), or something like that.

I'd rather present evidence, however leading, than actually have a quest-giving character tell them to do something that turns out to be wrong.

Ason
2011-10-26, 12:48 AM
And here I thought you were just making a roundabout and possibly obscure(ish) Simpsons reference.:smallwink:

Wait... Simpsons did even THAT first? Goodness gracious... :smallsigh: Well, now you've piqued my interest- I'll have to investigate this.

Sgt. Cookie
2011-10-28, 12:20 PM
Create monsters with the theme "That which cannot kill you can certainly negate your will save."

Doorhandle
2011-10-30, 01:07 AM

...That pun is so god-awful that it whirled right back to being awesome.

sahut652
2017-01-16, 07:56 PM
this is to be a list of evil things DM's do to their players, such as traps, hazards, and other such things.

This is my first time DMing. And, of course, I'm a horrible, horrible, sadistic human being who loves to see others squirm under the weight of my gaze. Long story short, i made a horrible toxin that is a gas, that also causes people to explode into the same gas after fifteen minutes without the antidote. Another long story short, their in a town that gets attacked by a cult, two run ins with the toxin, four helmed horrors on nightmares, and a bunch of toxin exploding enemies later, their in a forest, nearly full health. I begin to warn them that kobolds will become dangerous, with no editing to them (Right out of the monster manual, i swear.) They, of course, don't beleive me, them being level 7. I then drop a kobold mounted on a young green dragon, with one winged kobold spawning every round the dragon is alive. Quite frankly, the dragon did nothing but miss and roar, hitting once on it's last turn alive, and bringing a guy with 77 HP down to 3. They continuously attempted to control the kobolds by speaking draconic, and failing misrably until about 5 kobolds had spawned. they then targeted the dragon, losing one of their members to kobolds (My best moment), and bringing them to negitave health. the same person is then bombarded to death with rocks. The kings guard then comes and saves everyone, reviving that one guy. Small delema though, they are planning to explode the city they are going to. So, you know, karma, i guess?

RazorChain
2017-01-16, 08:29 PM
This is my first time DMing. And, of course, I'm a horrible, horrible, sadistic human being who loves to see others squirm under the weight of my gaze. Long story short, i made a horrible toxin that is a gas, that also causes people to explode into the same gas after fifteen minutes without the antidote. Another long story short, their in a town that gets attacked by a cult, two run ins with the toxin, four helmed horrors on nightmares, and a bunch of toxin exploding enemies later, their in a forest, nearly full health. I begin to warn them that kobolds will become dangerous, with no editing to them (Right out of the monster manual, i swear.) They, of course, don't beleive me, them being level 7. I then drop a kobold mounted on a young green dragon, with one winged kobold spawning every round the dragon is alive. Quite frankly, the dragon did nothing but miss and roar, hitting once on it's last turn alive, and bringing a guy with 77 HP down to 3. They continuously attempted to control the kobolds by speaking draconic, and failing misrably until about 5 kobolds had spawned. they then targeted the dragon, losing one of their members to kobolds (My best moment), and bringing them to negitave health. the same person is then bombarded to death with rocks. The kings guard then comes and saves everyone, reviving that one guy. Small delema though, they are planning to explode the city they are going to. So, you know, karma, i guess?

I really tried to read your text but it's almost incomprihensible. Next time take a moment and read what you have written, now imagine you have no notion beforehand of the incident you are writing about and see if you understand what you have written.

Another thing, necromancy is against the forum rules and you've just animated an almost 6 year old thread.