PDA

View Full Version : Sound Lance clarification

chinlamp
2011-09-13, 09:27 PM
I DMed a session recently where the players had just started using 3rd level spells. The Sorcerer in the party has Sound Lance. I was under the impression that it was a ranged attack, rolling like you would for a bow, whereas the Sorcerer thought it should be a ranged touch spell. Going to google today and searching for the last hour using various ways of phrasing "sound lance how does it hit" I've also come across the opinion that it hits like Magic Missile, i.e. no roll at all.

Can someone please clear up for me the rules on this?

Cog
2011-09-13, 09:32 PM
Can someone please clear up for me the rules on this?
You're both wrong; there's no attack roll required at all.

RaggedAngel
2011-09-13, 09:33 PM
Sound Lance
Evocation [Sonic]
Level: Cleric 4, sorcerer/wizard 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One creature or object
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude half
Spell Resistance: Yes
You unleash a shrill, piercing cry at your target, which takes the barely visible form of a translucent lance hurtling through the air.

This spell causes a projectile of intense sonic energy to leap from you to a target within range. The sound deals 1d8 points of sonic damage per caster level (maximum 10d8). A sound lance cannot penetrate the area of a silence spell.

The bold part means that there is no attack roll.

Kenneth
2011-09-13, 09:37 PM
sound lance does 1d8 sonic damage per caster level save vs Fortitude for half.. it hits everytime just like fireball or lightnin bolt but can deal reduced damage if they successfully pass the save DC

in your games does fireball or lightning bolt require an attack roll as well?

Big Fau
2011-09-13, 10:04 PM
sound lance does 1d8 sonic damage per caster level save vs Fortitude for half.. it hits everytime just like fireball or lightnin bolt but can deal reduced damage if they successfully pass the save DC

in your games does fireball or lightning bolt require an attack roll as well?

Fireball can require an attack roll. Just sayin'.

Alaris
2011-09-13, 10:09 PM
Fireball can require an attack roll. Just sayin'.

Only if you're trying to fire the bead through a tiny hole. I believe. But that's just getting things overcomplicated.

Essentially, as long as the SOUND LANCE spell succeeds at getting cast, it will strike the target, UNERRINGLY. Damage is rolled normally. The target must then roll a fortitude save. If they succeed, they take half of the damage rolled. If they fail, they take the full damage.

King Atticus
2011-09-13, 10:16 PM
Only if you're trying to fire the bead through a tiny hole. I believe.

Or if you warp it into a ray spell :smallwink:

Alaris
2011-09-13, 11:29 PM
Or if you warp it into a ray spell :smallwink:

Area Effect... into... Ray? What?

Tvtyrant
2011-09-13, 11:30 PM

Spellwarp Snipers get this ability. It prevents people with high reflex saves from avoiding damage. Especially if your blasting Rogues and Monks!

Tsuzurao
2011-09-13, 11:34 PM

Spellwarp Sniper is a prestige class that gets the ability to turn Area-of-Effect instantaneous-duration spells into rays. Upside, rays can inflict Sneak Attack damage (which also ties in with Spellwarp Sniper), and the effect of spellwarping it negates the ability for the enemy to make Reflex saves against the spell.

Downside, you can only spellwarp spells of a level up to your Spellwarp Sniper class level (and the PrC is only a 5-level class), and as a ray, you need to connect with a ranged touch attack or the spell is wasted. Furthermore, the qualifying requirements for spells that can be Spellwarped is smaller than it looks.

EDIT - I see a Swordsage has struck. But I got to clarify the ability further, at least.

King Atticus
2011-09-13, 11:53 PM
Furthermore, the qualifying requirements for spells that can be Spellwarped is smaller than it looks.

Very true, but it's great for those 3rd level fireball, scintalating sphere, acid breath type spells.