PDA

View Full Version : Got any centaurs lying around?

Serpentine
2011-09-14, 12:52 AM
My party's going to have to interact with a (native American-like) tribe of centaurs soon, and they may or may not come to blows. But I can't really be bothered statting out an entire tribe for a "maybe".
So... As the title: does anyone have some D&D3.5/Pathfinder centaurs statted out that I could use if I need to?

Coidzor
2011-09-14, 12:53 AM
Any level ranges in particular that you are interested in?

Serpentine
2011-09-14, 12:58 AM
Not especially. Below Epic, certainly. The party's 6 level 13s, but they're not super-special snowflakes so I have no problem with higher-level NPCs being around. Probably a range (say, warriors, spell-casters, practical folks, etc) from around level 14 and all the way down to 1st would be ideal, but not essential.

Zaq
2011-09-14, 01:17 AM
Hmmm. If you have generic NPCs with however many class levels statted out, it wouldn't be hard to just swap (or bump) a couple hit dice and add some stat adjustments. The LA and RHD are a bitter pill for PCs, but when you get down to it, get enough class levels and they matter a lot more than what you're stacking them on top of.

Of course, if the point is that you don't have those generic NPCs lying around, neither do I, sorry.

DeAnno
2011-09-14, 04:38 AM
You might want to clarify whether you want CR 14 Centaurs or ECL 14 Centaurs, since a CR 14 Centaur has 11 class levels and a ECL 14 one has only 8.

In any case, most otherwise awkward Hit Dice heavy Strengthy things generally do pretty ok with Warblade X added on, though you still need to do the work of adding up stats and picking some maneuvers.

Serpentine
2011-09-14, 04:40 AM
Don't care, just want centaurs.

LansXero
2011-09-14, 05:13 AM
Tried
http://www.monsteradvancer.com/send/monster/initMonsterCustomization.ma
yet? :D

Serpentine
2011-09-14, 05:16 AM
Eh, I was hoping someone'd just have a bunch of centaurs from a past game or encounter that they could just copy-paste over here so I can use it straight from there with minimal tweaking instead of building it myself - even with a monster advancer thingy. I'm sure it makes it easier, but if it's at all possible I'd rather just reuse ready-made ones.

Feytalist
2011-09-14, 05:24 AM
This:

Don't care, just want centaurs.

just made may day.

Other than that, I have nothing to add. I've got some wemics lying around back at home, though. I'm pretty sure one could easily switch over to centaurs. A few druids, a ranger, and some warriors. The rest of the tribe shouldn't be too difficult. Copy pasta X cents directly out of the MM and you have the commoners.

That is, if you're willing to wait a few hours :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2011-09-14, 10:25 AM
How similar are wemics and centaurs?

Keld Denar
2011-09-14, 10:46 AM
Physiologically? Pretty similar. Swap hooves for claws and bingo. I'm not sure on RHD for Wemics, though. I'm pretty decent at crafting monsters with classes...would you like me to whip up a Khal, a shaman, and maybe a pair of consorts?

Serpentine
2011-09-14, 11:08 AM
That'd be great, although I feel bad about making someone go to the effort for me :/

Keld Denar
2011-09-14, 11:57 AM
Eh, I'm bored at work. Its not like I actually have any REAL work to do this time of year (no money left this year for capital projects = bored ass capital project manager).

Any sources I can or can not use? I'll cite everything I can.

(also, since these are NPCs, I'm gonna go by CR, and assume that anything full BAB is associated for a centaur).

Andorax
2011-09-14, 01:16 PM
Bored, amused, might use them myself someday. Here's my first swing at it:

Fieron, the Bloody-hoofed CR 9
Male Centaur Fighter 1/Barbarian 1/Warhulk 3
CN Large Monstrous Humanoid
Init +4; Senses Listen +0, Spot +0
Languages: Sylvan and Elven
---------------------------
AC 20, touch 12, flat-footed 17
hp 75 (9 HD)
Fort +11, Ref +9, Will +7
Spd 60 ft.
Melee Large MW Heavy Flail +17 (2d6+15/19-20) and 2 hooves +14 (1d8+5)
Ranged Thrown Rock +16 (2d8+10), 50'
Base Atk +6; Grp +20
Atk Options Great Swing, Mighty Rock Throwing, Rage
Abilities Str 30, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 12
Feats Improved Natural Attack (hoof), Multiattack, Centaur Trample (RotW), Power Attack, Cleave
Skills Intimidate +8, Survival +7
Possessions Chain "shirt" Barding +1

Fieron's preferred strategy is to run full-tilt at opponents, knocking them over with an Overrun/Trample (and free Hoof attack) and continue on past, let them find their feet on their turn, then repeat the process.

Advanced versions of Fieron could include more War Hulk (higher strength, more powerful overrun/trample) or a somewhat brighter version (swap stats to get Int to 13, pick up Expertice/Imp. Trip, and add a Flail attack after a successful overrun knockdown).

Keld Denar
2011-09-14, 01:40 PM
Here's my rushed together guy. Meet Khal Barkas, Centaur Chieftain

Size/Type: Large Monstrous Humanoid4/Fighter1/Warrior1/PiousTemplar10 (16 HD)
Hit Dice: 5d8+20 + 11d10+44 (143 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 50 ft
Armor Class: 14 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +3 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +16/+28
Attack: Large Falchion +27 (+22/+22) melee (2d6+16/15-20) or Large Composite Longbow (+8 Str bonus) +18 ranged (2d6+8/×3)
Full Attack: Large Falchion +27/+22/+17/+12(+22/+22/+17/+12/+7) melee (2d6+16/15-20) and 2 hooves +22(+17) melee (1d6+4); or Large Composite Longbow (+8 Str bonus) +18/+13/+8/+3 ranged (2d6+8/×3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Smite 3/day (+4 hit, +10 damage)
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60’, Mettle, DR 2/-
Saves: Fort +16, Ref +9, Will +13
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 15, Con 18, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 10
Skills: Knowledge(Religion) +4, Jump +18, Concentration +18
Feats: Weapon Focus (Falchion), True Believer(CDivine), Power AttackB, Improved Bullrush, Weapon Specialization(Falchion)B, Battle Blessing(CChampion), Improved Critical(Falchion)B, Knockback(Races of Stone), Melee Weapon Mastery(Slashing)(PHBII)B, Slashing Fury(PHBII)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
CR: 14

Paladin Spells (all swift actions, CL10):
1st Bless Weapon, Cure Light Wounds, Rhino’s Rush
2nd Delay Poison, Knight’s Move(SpC), Zone of Truth
3rd Righteous Fury(SpC), Dispel Magic, Prayer
4th Death Ward, Favor of the Martyr (SpC)

Attack bonuses in (parenthesis) are for Slashing Fury.

The Khal is a deeply spiritual centaur, a firm rigid example that all centaur colts in the tribe aspire to emulate. He attempts to lead his people to follow the ways of [Insert Lawful Centaur God here].

I cheated a little. I tacked on a free warrior level which has no direct impact on his CR, but gives him more HP, the 16th HD ability bump, and his 4th iterative. I figured that a centaur Khal should have that kinda edge to represent how much more badass he is than your average vanilla centaur. I like the Pious Templar PrC, and it was REALLY easy to get into as a Centaur. I swapped around the normal Cent skills and feats to allow him to get right in after only 1 level.

What do you think? Not bad for about 45 minutes worth of work.

Note: I didn't equip him, since I have no idea how much wealth a centaur chief in your world would have. I'd probably give him a magic weapon and some armor (his AC is trash), along with other basic gear like +resistance cloak and +Str/Dex/Con/Wis items. If anyone knows the NPC WBL for a CR13 is, that would probably be a good baseline.

EDIT: His Knockback attempts are made at +16+2xPA penalty. IE: If he PAs for 2, he'll have a +20 Bullrush mod.

Keld Denar
2011-09-16, 12:00 PM
And the consort to the Khal:

Cammin Skywatcher, Centaur Shaman

Size/Type: Large Monstrous Humanoid4/Warrior1/Conjurer3/DivineOracle10 (18 HD)
Hit Dice: 5d8+20 + 3d4+12 + 10d6+40 (124 hp)
Initiative: +7
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+19
Attack: Large Longsword +15 melee (2d6+6/19-20) or Large Composite Longbow (+4 Str bonus) +14 ranged (2d6+4/×3)
Full Attack: Large Longsword +15/+10/+5 melee (2d6+6/19-20) and 2 hooves +10 melee (1d6+2); or Large Composite Longbow (+4 Str bonus) +14/+9/+4 ranged (2d6+4/×3)
Special Attacks: Spells
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60’, Prescient Sense, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Trap Sense +3, Immune to Surprise, Abrupt Jaunt
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +15
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 17, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 12
Skills: Concentration +25, Heal +16 Knowledge(Religion) +11, Knowledge(History) +11, Listen +8, Spellcraft +24, Spot +8, Survival +8, Jump +5
Feats: Skill Focus:Knowledge(Religion), Improved Initiative, Scribe Scroll, Practiced Spellcaster(Wizard), Mobile Spellcasting, Minor Shapeshift, Quicken Spell, Metamagic School Focus(Conjuration)

Due to her lowish Int (due to racial penalties), Cammin focuses primarily on buffs and no-save battlefield control spells. She utilizes her high base speed, Abrupt Jaunt feature, and Mobile Spellcaster features to stay clear of the action when possible. She is never surprised (Divine Oracle10) and uses that trait to make sure the herd is always protected in times of trouble.

Again, she has no gear, but would probably include a +6 Int item (to help her spellcasting dramatically, opening up her 7th level slots), +resistance item, and probably a Lesser MM Rod of Extend and Chain Spell.

Her role in the herd is as healer (high Heal ranks), historian and religious leader, and oracle. She utilizes Commune (from her Oracle domain) to talk to the centaur ancestors

EDIT: I didn't put a spell list together for her...that takes a while for a 13th level caster. Her spec school is Conjuration and her banned schools are Enchantment and Evocation. She'll have a lot of fog spells, Black Tentacles, and the like.

Serpentine
2011-09-17, 12:47 AM
Yay! Thanks guys! :smallbiggrin:
Any sources I can or can not use? I'll cite everything I can.Nah. I don't automatically forbid anything, so pretty much anything should be fine.

Bored, amused, might use them myself someday. Here's my first swing at it:
Fieron, the Bloody-hoofed CR 9
Male Centaur Fighter 1/Barbarian 1/Warhulk 3
CN Large Monstrous Humanoid
Init +4; Senses Listen +0, Spot +0
Languages: Sylvan and Elven
AC 20, touch 12, flat-footed 17
hp 75 (9 HD)
Fort +11, Ref +9, Will +7
Spd 60 ft.
Melee Large MW Heavy Flail +17 (2d6+15/19-20) and 2 hooves +14 (1d8+5)
Ranged Thrown Rock +16 (2d8+10), 50'
Base Atk +6; Grp +20
Atk Options Great Swing, Mighty Rock Throwing, Rage
Abilities Str 30, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 12
Feats Improved Natural Attack (hoof), Multiattack, Centaur Trample (RotW), Power Attack, Cleave
Skills Intimidate +8, Survival +7
Possessions Chain "shirt" Barding +1

Fieron's preferred strategy is to run full-tilt at opponents, knocking them over with an Overrun/Trample (and free Hoof attack) and continue on past, let them find their feet on their turn, then repeat the process.

Advanced versions of Fieron could include more War Hulk (higher strength, more powerful overrun/trample) or a somewhat brighter version (swap stats to get Int to 13, pick up Expertice/Imp. Trip, and add a Flail attack after a successful overrun knockdown).Ooo. Makes a good brute/bodyguard or similar. Neato.

Here's my rushed together guy. Meet Khal Barkas, Centaur Chieftain

Size/Type: Large Monstrous Humanoid4/Fighter1/Warrior1/PiousTemplar10 (16 HD)
Hit Dice: 5d8+20 + 11d10+44 (143 hp)
Initiative: +2
Base Attack/Grapple: +16/+28
Attack: Large Falchion +27 (+22/+22) melee (2d6+16/15-20) or Large Composite Longbow (+8 Str bonus) +18 ranged (2d6+8/×3)
Full Attack: Large Falchion +27/+22/+17/+12(+22/+22/+17/+12/+7) melee (2d6+16/15-20) and 2 hooves +22(+17) melee (1d6+4); or Large Composite Longbow (+8 Str bonus) +18/+13/+8/+3 ranged (2d6+8/×3)
Special Attacks: Smite 3/day (+4 hit, +10 damage)
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60’, Mettle, DR 2/-
Saves: Fort +16, Ref +9, Will +13
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 15, Con 18, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 10
Skills: Knowledge(Religion) +4, Jump +18, Concentration +18
Feats: Weapon Focus (Falchion), True Believer(CDivine), Power AttackB, Improved Bullrush, Weapon Specialization(Falchion)B, Battle Blessing(CChampion), Improved Critical(Falchion)B, Knockback(Races of Stone), Melee Weapon Mastery(Slashing)(PHBII)B, Slashing Fury(PHBII)

Paladin Spells (all swift actions, CL10):
1st Bless Weapon, Cure Light Wounds, Rhino’s Rush
2nd Delay Poison, Knight’s Move(SpC), Zone of Truth
3rd Righteous Fury(SpC), Dispel Magic, Prayer
4th Death Ward, Favor of the Martyr (SpC)

Attack bonuses in (parenthesis) are for Slashing Fury.

The Khal is a deeply spiritual centaur, a firm rigid example that all centaur colts in the tribe aspire to emulate. He attempts to lead his people to follow the ways of [Insert Lawful Centaur God here].

I cheated a little. I tacked on a free warrior level which has no direct impact on his CR, but gives him more HP, the 16th HD ability bump, and his 4th iterative. I figured that a centaur Khal should have that kinda edge to represent how much more badass he is than your average vanilla centaur. I like the Pious Templar PrC, and it was REALLY easy to get into as a Centaur. I swapped around the normal Cent skills and feats to allow him to get right in after only 1 level.

What do you think? Not bad for about 45 minutes worth of work.

Note: I didn't equip him, since I have no idea how much wealth a centaur chief in your world would have. I'd probably give him a magic weapon and some armor (his AC is trash), along with other basic gear like +resistance cloak and +Str/Dex/Con/Wis items. If anyone knows the NPC WBL for a CR13 is, that would probably be a good baseline.

EDIT: His Knockback attempts are made at +16+2xPA penalty. IE: If he PAs for 2, he'll have a +20 Bullrush mod.Hmmm... This one's a little tricky. This tribe of centaurs is pretty decidedly Neutral - Hell, they've already met a few members of the tribe on a raiding party who kidnapped a bride (without any intent to hurt her, mind) for ransom.
Buuuut, it could just be that he's out of touch with the younger members of the tribe, or the raiding is traditional... Maybe he's the reason why the raids are always bloodless nowadays.
Yeah, I can make this work. Thanks!

Keld Denar
2011-09-17, 01:29 PM
Nothing says he has to be LN, Pious Templar just has to be somewhat close in their alignment to their god. I don't know if you have a centaur pantheon set up. I just like the idea of centaurs being religious, both to their ancestors and their gods.

Serpentine
2011-09-17, 11:02 PM
Ooooooh. I obviously didn't read it properly <.< Thought he was a Paladin. That should work, then.
As for their gods... What gods did plains native Americans have? Probably be something along those lines. If I'm feeling lazy, I can always just go with "Father Sky and Mother Earth" or somesuch.