PDA

View Full Version : The Red Mage (3.5 E6 base class, PEACH)

Gnorman
2011-09-14, 03:38 AM
The Red Mage

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cw_ag/75401.jpg

HD: d6
Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (history), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (the planes), Profession, Ride, Spellcraft, Tumble
Skill Points: 4 + Int per level (4x at 1st)

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|0|1|2|3

1st|+0|+2|+0|+2|Spellcasting, Archetype, Combat Panache|5|4|-|-

2nd|+1|+3|+0|+3|Lesser Archetype Power|6|5|-|-

3rd|+2|+3|+1|+3|Battlefield Intelligence|6|6|3|-

4th|+3|+4|+1|+4|Moderate Archetype Power|6|6|4|-

5th|+3|+4|+1|+4|Spellbattle Escalation|6|6|5|3

6th|+4|+5|+2|+5|Greater Archetype Power, Capstone SLA|6|6|6|4[/table]

Class Abilities

Proficiencies: A Red Mage is proficient with light armor, medium armor as well as simple and martial weapons. He does not suffer from arcane failure while in light armor or medium armor, though he suffers normally from all other kinds of armor and shields.

Spellcasting: A Red Mage casts arcane spells from a specialized list, which is included below. A Red Mage need not prepare spells ahead of time - he may spontaneously cast any spell on his list from the appropriate slot. He still requires eight hours of rest to refresh his spells. His sole casting stat is Charisma, which dictates both the DC of his spells and his bonus spells. To cast a spell, a Red Mage must have a Charisma score equal to 10 + the level of spell in question.

Archetype: At 1st level, a Red Mage chooses an archetype from the following list, each of which conveys a certain set of advantages and abilities. Once chosen, this cannot be changed or reversed. Each archetype has a Lesser power, a Moderate power, a Greater power, and a Capstone SLA associated with it, which the Red Mage receives at the levels noted above. Each archetype also adds bonus spells known to the Red Mage's list, which are listed below.

Combat Panache: A Red Mage trains equally in sword and spell - as a full-round action, he may make a single melee or ranged attack and cast a spell, even if he has no free hand to do so. In addition, a Red Mage counts as a fighter of two-thirds his own level for the purpose of qualifying for feats.

Lesser Archetype Power: At 2nd level, a Red Mage gains the appropriate power for his archetype.

Battlefield Intelligence: At 3rd level, a Red Mage gains a +2 untyped bonus to all Knowledge checks involving the identification of foes.

Moderate Archetype Power: At 4th level, a Red Mage gains the appropriate power for his archetype.

Spellbattle Escalation: A Red Mage gains a +2 to attack rolls and damage rolls against a specific opponent if he has successfully cast an offensive spell against that opponent in an encounter. A Red Mage also gains a +2 bonus to penetrate spell resistance and a +1 bonus to the DCs of spells cast against a specific opponent if he has successfully attacked that opponent in melee. These bonuses last until the end of the encounter.

Greater Archetype Power: At 6th level, a Red Mage gains the appropriate power for his archetype.

Capstone SLA: At 6th level, a Red Mage gains the ability to cast a particular spell as an SLA 1/day, as appropriate for his archetype. His caster level is equal to his hit dice, and the DC of the spell, if applicable, is equal to 10 + 1/2 his hit dice + his Charisma modifier.

Red Mage Spell List:
0: Acid Splash, Dancing Lights, Daze, Detect Magic, Flare, Mage Hand, Message, Prestidigitation, Read Magic
1: Alarm, Blade of Blood (PHBII), Burning Hands, Burning Rage (PHBII), Endure Elements, Enlarge Person, Grease, Jet of Steam (CM), Magic Missile, Magic Weapon, Shield, Shocking Grasp, Summon Monster I (non-lawful only), True Strike
2: Bear's Endurance, Boiling Blood (CM), Bull's Strength, Combust (SpC), Continual Flame, Eagle's Splendor, Fire Trap, Flame Blade, Flaming Sphere, Glitterdust, Incendiary Slime (CM), Protection from Arrows, Pyrotechnics, Resist Energy, Scorching Ray, Spiritual Weapon, Summon Monster II (non-lawful only)
3: Dispel Magic, Explosive Runes, Fireball, Flame Arrow, Haste, Heroism, Greater Magic Weapon, Keen Edge, Lightning Bolt, Magic Circle Against Alignment, Phantom Steed, Protection from Energy, Slow, Summon Monster III (non-lawful only)

Archetypes

Chaos Child

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/pgtf_gallery/78851.jpg
Bonus Spells:
1: Aspect of the Wolf (SpC), Lesser Spider Form (DotU)
2: Bite of the Wererat (SpC), Least Dragonshape (DM)
3: Primal Form (SpC, fire or earth only), Shape of the Hellspawned Stalker (CM)
Capstone SLA: Displacer Form (SpC) or Trollshape (PHBII)

Lesser Archetype Power: While polymorphed, a chaos child gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and Constitution.
Moderate Archetype Power: Any beneficial polymorph spell cast on a chaos child is automatically extended.
Greater Archetype Power: A chaos child may ignore the somatic or verbal components of spells with a range of personal or touch while polymorphed, and may cast those spells even when in an alternate form.

Crimson Disciple

http://www.aidedd.org/images/classeP/disciple_draconien.jpg
Bonus Spells:
1: Ghostly Tail (RotD), Hoard Gullet (DM)
2: Tail Slap (RotD), Wings of Cover (RotD)
3: Dragonskin (SpC), Ferocity of Sanguine Rage (DM)
Capstone SLA: Voice of the Dragon (SpC) or Wings of Flurry (RotD)

Lesser Archetype Power: A crimson disciple gains the claw and bite attacks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/dragonDisciple.htm#clawsandBite) of a Dragon Disciple of 2nd level. If he already possesses a bite and/or claw attack(s), their damage is increased by one step. In addition, a crimson disciple gains the dragonblood subtype and counts as a sorcerer of his level for the purposes of qualifying for draconic feats.
Moderate Archetype Power: A crimson disciple gains the ability to breathe fire in a thirty-foot cone, with a Reflex save for half damage. The DC is equal to 10 + 1/2 the crimson disciple's HD + his Constitution modifier. His breath weapon does 1d8 damage per two hit dice he has. Once he uses his breath weapon, he may not do so for another 1d4 rounds. In addition, he gains darkvision out to 60 feet and a +4 bonus to saves against sleep and paralysis.
Greater Archetype Power: A crimson disciple gains a pair of draconic wings that allow him to fly at twice his base land speed, with average maneuverability.

Magesmith

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/completechampion_gallery/104743.jpg
Bonus Spells:
1: Backbiter (SpC), Cloud of Knives (PHBII)
2: Body Blades (SpC), Whirling Blade (SpC)
3: Bands of Steel (SpC), Ring of Blades (SpC)
Capstone SLA: Metal Melt (SpC) or Stoneskin

Lesser Archetype Power: A magesmith gains proficiency with heavy armor and shields, and does not suffer from arcane spell failure while wearing equipment from those categories.
Moderate Archetype Power: A magesmith's effective caster level is doubled when crafting magical weapons or armor, to a maximum of 12th level.
Greater Archetype Power: Once per day, a magesmith may imbue any mundane weapon he is holding with any combination of enchantment up to a +2 bonus. These bonuses last twenty-four hours, or until the magesmith no longer possesses the weapon.

Pyromancer

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ca_gallery/85478.jpg
Bonus Spells:
1: Lesser Orb of Fire (SpC), Produce Flame
2: Body of the Sun (SpC), Scorch (SpC)
3: Fire Shield (warm only), Fire Wings (SpC)
Capstone SLA: Firestride Exhalation (DM) or Orb of Fire (SpC)

Lesser Archetype Power: A pyromancer deals one extra point of damage per die when using fire spells or fire SLAs - this extra damage also applies to any fire damage on the pyromancer's weapon, if applied via one of his spells.
Moderate Archetype Power: When casting fire spells, a pyromancer may choose to not have allies in the area of effect be affected by the spell.
Greater Archetype Power: Three times per day, a pyromancer may choose to have one of his fire spells ignore whatever resistance to fire (but not immunity) the target(s) possess. If the target possesses Evasion, it may not use that ability against the pyromancer's spell.

Sand Shaper

http://images.wikia.com/eberron/images/d/d0/95054.jpg
Bonus Spells:
1: Parching Touch (SS), Sandblast (SpC)
2: Halo of Sand (SS), Scimitar of Sand (SS)
3: Dehydrate (SpC), Haboob (SS)
Capstone SLA: Parboil (SS) or Wall of Sand (SS)

Lesser Archetype Power: A sand shaper may add his Charisma modifier to his armor class as long as he does not wear any armor or wield a shield. In addition, he may summon dustform creatures of the appropriate level when casting Summon Monster, as if he knew the Summon Desert Ally spell line.
Moderate Archetype Power: A sand shaper receives a bonus to his base land speed of 20 feet. He may also move normally over loose sand and dirt.
Greater Archetype Power: A sand shaper may shape soil, dirt, loose rock, and sand into mundane items for his use. He may create any item so long as the value of the item is fifty GP or less, and he must spend one round concentrating for each 10 GP in value of the item. Once shaped, the item lasts for ten minutes, at which point it dissolves back into its original form. A sand shaper may not create alchemical or edible items with this ability, nor may he form any sort of liquid.

Gnorman
2011-09-16, 03:50 AM
Roster of abilities filled out, changed Tactician's capstone from Good Hope to Celerity. Also returned good Fort save, medium BAB, and medium armor proficiency to the class, making it more of an out-of-the-box gish.

Morph Bark
2011-09-16, 11:28 AM
If one were to make a Lightning-based version of the Pyromancer Archetype (Electromancer), what spells would you suggest? Exchanging (Lesser) Orb of Fire for (Lesser) Orb of Electricity is easy, but Ray of Flame, Fireburst, Scorch, Fire Shield and Fire Wings not so much, at least not off the top of my head.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-09-16, 11:37 AM
I don't like the fact that this classes abilities give nothing other than making him a half-decent martial combatant. Basically, you sacrifice your class features to gain something (using a decent stat for combat) that other classes get as part of their starting package. If you want to include that it other abilities, that's fine. Having a whole class (without the path of course) that only allows you to use Cha for attacking and damage and gives you a small bonus to Knowledge checks isn't worth it, especially compared with, say, the Green Mage, who gains Shapeshifting (and a bonus to Caster Level and attack rolls...bear in mind that that bonus to attack rolls [+2] could end up making the Green Mage equal or better at physical attacks than the Red Mage, if the Red Mage's Strength / Charisma difference is only +1 or +2).

In short, taking this class feels underwhelming.

jiriku
2011-09-16, 01:30 PM
Not liking the transition from Strength- to Charisma-based combat. Basically, you either start with high Strength, and the Charisma-transition features are worthless to you, or you start with high Charisma, and you suck at fighting until your class features come online to let you apply Charisma. If you're going to swap Charisma for Strength, do it all at 1st level so that the class doesn't have to suffer through several levels of being bad at fighting.

Magesmith: cloud of knives is a popular spell in my playgroup, but extensive playtest has found it to be absolutely terrible for a 2nd-level spell. I recommend you place it at 1st level - it is much more comparable to magic missile or hail of stone than to spells like scorch or heroics. Body blades might be an effective replacement at 2nd level.

I'd like to see a mage knight archetype with Ride as a class skill, a familiar, Improved familiar as a bonus feat, plus augment familiar and enhance familiar, and fortify familiar as archetype spells. Or perhaps, if you prefer not to provide a familiar, you could include spells like mount and phantom steed.

Morph Bark
2011-09-16, 02:08 PM
Not liking the transition from Strength- to Charisma-based combat. Basically, you either start with high Strength, and the Charisma-transition features are worthless to you, or you start with high Charisma, and you suck at fighting until your class features come online to let you apply Charisma. If you're going to swap Charisma for Strength, do it all at 1st level so that the class doesn't have to suffer through several levels of being bad at fighting.

This. Why not have the Cha-switch apply to both attack and damage at level 1, and at level 4 instead have both Str and Cha apply?

Gnorman
2011-09-16, 03:59 PM
I don't like the fact that this classes abilities give nothing other than making him a half-decent martial combatant. Basically, you sacrifice your class features to gain something (using a decent stat for combat) that other classes get as part of their starting package. If you want to include that it other abilities, that's fine. Having a whole class (without the path of course) that only allows you to use Cha for attacking and damage and gives you a small bonus to Knowledge checks isn't worth it, especially compared with, say, the Green Mage, who gains Shapeshifting (and a bonus to Caster Level and attack rolls...bear in mind that that bonus to attack rolls [+2] could end up making the Green Mage equal or better at physical attacks than the Red Mage, if the Red Mage's Strength / Charisma difference is only +1 or +2).

In short, taking this class feels underwhelming.

This. Why not have the Cha-switch apply to both attack and damage at level 1, and at level 4 instead have both Str and Cha apply?

Thank you for the input - I actually have been struggling to replace Combat Panache with something more interesting. This is what I have so far: let me know what you think.

Spellbattle Escalation: A Red Mage gains a +2 to attack rolls and damage rolls against a specific opponent if he has successfully cast an offensive spell against that opponent in an encounter. A Red Mage also gains a +2 bonus to penetrate spell resistance and a +1 bonus to the DCs of spells cast against a specific opponent if he has successfully attacked that opponent in melee. These bonuses last until the end of the encounter.

My only concern is that it may be a bit overpowered with area-of-effect spells. Thoughts?

Magesmith: cloud of knives is a popular spell in my playgroup, but extensive playtest has found it to be absolutely terrible for a 2nd-level spell. I recommend you place it at 1st level - it is much more comparable to magic missile or hail of stone than to spells like scorch or heroics. Body blades might be an effective replacement at 2nd level.

I'd like to see a mage knight archetype with Ride as a class skill, a familiar, Improved familiar as a bonus feat, plus augment familiar and enhance familiar, and fortify familiar as archetype spells. Or perhaps, if you prefer not to provide a familiar, you could include spells like mount and phantom steed.

Ride will be happily added back to the skill list (it had been at one point, not sure why I removed it), and mount and phantom steed added to the spell list. Makes too much sense not to.

jiriku
2011-09-16, 07:08 PM

My only concern is that it may be a bit overpowered with area-of-effect spells. Thoughts?

I wouldn't think it overpowering. The +2 to hit and damage is nice at1st level, but you don't have enough spells to trigger it often. By 6th level when you have many spells and AoEs, +2 is just putting you on par with a full base attack class and a Strength-primary character (or slightly less than par, most likely).

Ziegander
2011-09-16, 07:25 PM
Thank you for the input - I actually have been struggling to replace Combat Panache with something more interesting. This is what I have so far: let me know what you think.

I'm thinking that you should give Combat Panache at 1st level, replacing Strength for Charisma in both attack and damage rolls (perhaps with only a select few weapons, perhaps not) and Spellbattle Escalation at 5th level. That should definitely give the Red Mage a unique and potent combat strategy.

Battlefield Intelligence seems... not only lackluster, but not really related to the Battlefield. How about adding the Red Mage's class level to Knowledge (History) checks as well as all Knowledge checks made to determine creatures' special powers and/or vulnerabilities?

Gnorman
2011-09-17, 06:18 AM
Good points all, and now included in the class. Zieglander's idea about Battlefield Intelligence is great and duly adapted. Combat Panache handles attack and damage at first level, making the Red Mage now officially SAD. Not quite as good as a combat class (though close), but hey - they don't get spellcasting, now do they?

Gnorman
2011-09-20, 01:24 AM
Tactician replaced with Mystic Dervish. Something along the same lines as the Tactician may be added later, but for now the teleportation abilities have been taken over by the Blue Mage's Chronomancer archetype.

stack
2011-10-20, 02:18 PM
Shouldn't eagle's splendor be on the list? If you are using CHA to fight, having a strength buffing spell seems...off. Still good for buffing allies, useless for yourself.

So the magewright is the source for all high-level magic items in an E6 setting?

Gnorman
2011-10-20, 04:29 PM
Shouldn't eagle's splendor be on the list? If you are using CHA to fight, having a strength buffing spell seems...off. Still good for buffing allies, useless for yourself.

So the magewright is the source for all high-level magic items in an E6 setting?

Nothing is stopping the other casters from taking item creation feats, but the magesmith is the best at it, yes.

Eagle's Splendor added to the list.

Chaos_Laicosin
2011-10-20, 06:56 PM
I'm not really liking the Cha bonus to att/dam. From a real-life point of view, how would you add showmanship to an attack? Shout real loud, or smile real hard at your opponent? I could understand some sort of intimidation factor being added in based off of Cha, but I don't see how personality could add any extra damage. I would suggest removing the damage bonus granted by Combat Panache and instead maybe add a Dex bonus to Spell DC. Some sort of intricate and delicate movements allowing for better spell placement such that they are harder to dodge.

Also, given the wide selection of weapon and armor proficiencies, I still find this class is weighted towards spell casting. Perhaps add high reflex save and/or moderate BAB, while dialing back the number spells per day.

I am a n00b on these forums, but your design piqued my interest and enticed me to join.

stack
2011-10-20, 09:46 PM
I'm confused now. On the compendium, the red mage has medium BAB, here it is poor. For a gish-in-a-can medium seems better (its only 1 different at six, but still nice).

The only ability I can think that would fit in, if you felt it necessary to replace something, would be a channeling/spell strike similar to a duskblade or PF magus. That said, It looks quite nice as is (w/ medium bab) and I look forward to playing it.

Gnorman
2011-10-21, 02:21 AM
I'm confused now. On the compendium, the red mage has medium BAB, here it is poor. For a gish-in-a-can medium seems better (its only 1 different at six, but still nice).

The only ability I can think that would fit in, if you felt it necessary to replace something, would be a channeling/spell strike similar to a duskblade or PF magus. That said, It looks quite nice as is (w/ medium bab) and I look forward to playing it.

It is supposed to be medium - I will fix.

I'm not really liking the Cha bonus to att/dam. From a real-life point of view, how would you add showmanship to an attack? Shout real loud, or smile real hard at your opponent? I could understand some sort of intimidation factor being added in based off of Cha, but I don't see how personality could add any extra damage. I would suggest removing the damage bonus granted by Combat Panache and instead maybe add a Dex bonus to Spell DC. Some sort of intricate and delicate movements allowing for better spell placement such that they are harder to dodge.

Also, given the wide selection of weapon and armor proficiencies, I still find this class is weighted towards spell casting. Perhaps add high reflex save and/or moderate BAB, while dialing back the number spells per day.

I will consider this idea, and stack's spell channeling idea. Perhaps a replacement ability could be something like... as a full-round action, a red mage may both make a single melee attack and cast a spell, perhaps?

EDIT: Well, that's basically the Magus's first-level ability, after research.

stack
2011-10-21, 08:54 AM
Out of curiosity, what prompted the non-lawful only restriction on summons?

Also, 2 Sp/lvl on a non-INT based caster...ouch. Perfectly in-line with 3.5 core design practices of course.

One thing about combat panache that is not immediately obvious is that red mages wear medium armor (heavy in the case of the magewright). So even though you don't need strength to fight, you still have to carry your bloody gear, so strength can't be totally dumped. (Especially true if you have full plate and a large weapon (Hordling Magewright), had to keep 12 STR so that he could get better armor eventually and still move.)

Eldest
2012-02-10, 11:29 AM
The Chaos Child's Moderate Archetype ability needs to be clarified. Am I correct in saying that any polymorph spell he casts on himself is automatically extended?