PDA

View Full Version : Archery Ranger

GrimJester
2011-09-14, 01:55 PM
I'm building an archery ranger and want to do a more exotic bow other then a composite longbow and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on what i could use

flabort
2011-09-14, 01:58 PM
Energy bow (I think), good for changing Str score (Barbarian dips). Or Footbow, good for flying archers.

Or Energy Footbow if you can work out the costs.

Edit: :smallconfused:I ninja'd someone? And said everything they said :smalleek:? Wow, that's a first for me. :smallbiggrin:

OracleofWuffing
2011-09-14, 02:01 PM
Well, um, there's this guy (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a), pretty much all the archer guys wouldn't mind having it, but I guess that's still a composite longbow.

I can't imagine them being too good for combat, but there's a footbow in Races of the Wild, which, um, pretty much literally takes the exotic part of the request, 'cause it's an exotic weapon.

EDIT: *shakes fist*

FuryOfMetal
2011-09-14, 02:04 PM
I vote Raptoran or Dragonborn (with wings) with a footbow. If you multiclass with Scout you can take the feat that combines Skirmish damage with Favoured Enemy, but I'm not sure if it furthers Animal Companion. Either way the Ranger companion is 4 levels behind you as is, so it's already too weak to do much in combat so it being even less effective isn't too important. Also I can't remember the name of this feat, though I'm 90% certain it exists :smallwink:

Raptoran get full flight at 5HD, Dragonborn get it at 6HD assuming you take the wings option. However Raptoran have racial proficiency with the Footbow so it saves you a feat. Getting skirmish damage when you have wings is easy as you don't have to worry about provoking AoO's from everybody on the ground as much.

Fenryr
2011-09-14, 02:10 PM
What are you looking for? Only an exotic option? Great Bow (CW) or Bone Bow (Frostburn) may work.

If you're looking for power or versatility or something else, read this (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866186/The_Ultimate_Archer_Handbook) and this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=642.0).

ZombiePunch
2011-09-14, 02:11 PM
If you're just looking for an exotic bow then the composite great bow is in Complete Warrior page 156
Cost you a feat, does 1d10

*Edit: ack, beat me to it

flabort
2011-09-14, 02:14 PM
Also I can't remember the name of this feat, though I'm 90% certain it exists :smallwink:

Swift Hunter, iirc.

ZombiePunch
2011-09-14, 02:16 PM
Swift Hunter with favored enemy undead and constructs kicks much non-living booty.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-14, 02:20 PM
A Bone Bow from Frostburn or a Greatbow in Complete Warrior are exotic weapons that have longer range and higher damage than a composite longbow. You could get a level of Exotic Weapon Master to not provoke an AoO for firing in melee if you go with either of those.

There's the Dragonbone Bow variety of item detailed in the Draconomicon, which basically involves crafting any composite bow out of a bone from a dragon. Its range increments are longer than normal by 20 feet, and it only costs 100 gp more than a standard bow. You can make either of the above exoitc bows also a Dragonbone bow.

An Elvencraft bow from Races of the Wild is heavier so it can be used as a melee weapon when needed. A Shortbow can be used as a club, or a Longbow as a quarterstaff. The melee weapon portion must be made masterwork separate from the ranged weapon portion, similar to a double weapon, and they must be enchanted separately. Thus an Elvencraft Composite Longbow can be made masterwork three times (bow and each quarterstaff end), and they can be enchanted as though they're separate weapons, again similar to a double weapon. For example, you can make the bow portion +1 Seeking, and each quarterstaff end +1 Defending, and always make the staff ends contribute to your AC. You'll want to convince a party spellcaster to put Greater Magic Weapon on all three for higher bonuses, so maybe get everyone in the party who wants Greater Magic Weapon to pitch in for a Lesser Metamagic Rod of Chain Spell (CA) so only one spell slot can hit everyone's weapons.

Again, the above exotic bows can also be made Elvencraft, so you could have an Elvencraft Dragonbone Composite Greatbow for 1d10 base bow damage, usable as a quarterstaff, with a 150 ft. range increment. It would cost 200 gp (composite greatbow) + 100 gp (dragonbone) + 300 gp (elvencraft) + 900 gp (masterwork x3) + (100 gp x Str bonus) (composite). Weapon properties like Eager, Warning, and Illithidwrought can be added to the Elvencraft melee portions to gain passive bonuses whenever the bow is held, though it would get a bit expensive. If you make the entire thing an Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) you could upgrade all three portions yourself at half price, and even give it intelligent item properties. Edit: You could easily just skip making it exotic and use an Elvencraft Bonebow Composite Longbow instead, which would probably be preferable in most cases.

GrimJester
2011-09-14, 03:02 PM
i'm switching my character to a scout with the sniper variant and light cavalry variant so i would be using a shortbow instead of a longbow

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-14, 03:17 PM
i'm switching my character to a scout with the sniper variant and light cavalry variant so i would be using a shortbow instead of a longbow

A composite longbow can be used while mounted, otherwise you can still have an elvencraft dragonbone (composite) shortbow for the 'something different' that you were originally asking for.

GrimJester
2011-09-15, 04:14 PM
are there any weapon properties that will improve the range of a bow

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-15, 04:30 PM
Distance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#distance) doubles your range increment, and a Helm of the Hunter (MIC) gives you the Far Shot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#farShot) feat as long as you wear it. Note that when something gets doubled twice it's instead tripled, so a Dragonbone Composite Longbow's normal 130 ft. increment would be increased to 390 ft., but also keep in mind that you'll be at a -39 to Spot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/spot.htm) your target from just one increment out.

Firechanter
2011-09-15, 04:41 PM

If you're going to skirmish and have some feats to burn, consider using a Light Crossbow, working with Rapid Reload (or the Quick Loading property if you can afford it) and, most importantly, Crossbow Sniper. Removes the need for high Str, and more importantly, increases your skirmish range.

GrimJester
2011-09-15, 05:39 PM
If you're going to skirmish and have some feats to burn, consider using a Light Crossbow, working with Rapid Reload (or the Quick Loading property if you can afford it) and, most importantly, Crossbow Sniper. Removes the need for high Str, and more importantly, increases your skirmish range.

theres a scout variant i found that is sniping it takes away my skirmish but gives me sniping which does the same damage as skirmish but i dont have to move to use it