PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Running a Multi-thread PBP game (Political Intrigue)

stack
2011-09-14, 01:57 PM
I have starting laying the groundwork for a political intrigue-style PBP game, tentatively titled "Tenure of Kings". Does anyone have any advice on doing so?

I am trying to have maps and locations thought out before hand to give players a good idea of what they can do, then leaving it up to them to decide what to do as events unfold. There will be "scripted" events, but player input will sway the course of the kingdom. Characters will act in their independant threads, but interesect and work together as appropriate.

Setting:
Golarion campaign setting, river kingdoms, before the death of Aroden, likely near the Even-tongued conquest (Cheliax separating from Taldor), in a homebrew kingdom (they change often there). There will be a recently ascended king, several dukes with there own forts, scattered villages, etc.

Characters will start in positions such as squire, apprentice mage, acolyte, etc.

I see the obvious pitfall being keeping the time-frame set over the differing character threads. Solutions to this and things I haven't thought of?

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-14, 02:49 PM
Block time into hourish periods. So long as everything happens in the same city you should be fine. Your players will all need to post about the same rate and be willing to wait as characters who are doing complicated things catch up.

As for the multiple threads, keep a OOC thread that everyone posts in to discus metagame knowledge. I find in intruige games that it is important to let players have an outlet for metagame knowledge.

Be very careful to prevent party compotition uless that is the direction you want to take the game. It is very easy for a player to decide to doublecross a player who is in another thread. much easier than a character who is looking at your posts.

stack
2011-09-14, 03:23 PM
I think PVP may have to be an option, given that I am going to try to make it so there is no 'right' side to the main conflict (nor only two sides).

I'm thinking about breaking time into 'weeks' to keep everything on track. That would allow for crafting/profession skills to be useful, while giving breathing room between events.

I don't claim character writing as a great strength, so if anyone is interested in helping me develop this (and gm) that would get it done faster and allow for bigger groups. If so, I can open a thread in the homebrew section to work on it.

ed-also, any good source for (free) kingdom management rules?