PDA

View Full Version : Mechs and d20

~Nye~
2011-09-14, 04:54 PM
Hi guys,
I have a favor to ask, I have been running a sci-fi campaign based loosely on firefly and Xenogears, however my players are about to get their hands on their mechs. I have the SRD sourced mecha pdf and Dragonmech. Though I like the fluff for the Dragonmech stuff, the rules are more low tech/steam punk. The SRD mecha pdf doesn't give many examples of mechs, or their power level of some of the machines seems rather pathetic... I want somthing comparable to that of a Gundam.
Ideally, my plan is to have 2 power levels in the game, low level progression, which is that of the PCs out of their mech suits, so typically a level 1-20 wizard, and that of mech combat, which I plan to orientate around or to be comparable to that of epic level characters so 20-40. The main reason for this approach is because we have never really played at epic level progression. We normally stop playing when our characters hit the level 20 milestone, that's normally when the plot ends and the campaign has been running a while, and the PCs and DM are happy with how the game concludes.
If any of you guys have seen any source books for mech based stuff I'd be greatful. Also, anything that can take the legwork out of homebrewing every mech like the SRD mecha extreme book suggests/implies you do. I have implemented certain ways in which people can survive gunshots and things and massive damage, so power isn't really an issue. I'd like somthing that works, and that I can explain to my PC's when it comes to customising their mechs.
Just to give you an idea I'll list some of the fluff ideas that we're shooting for, by spitballing two mech concepts, Just incase this spurs ideas.
-Artillery/sniper mech, like Lock-on Stratos from Gundam 00
-Grappling hover mech with magnetic whips, Like the Epion from Wing but more robust like a Space marine Dreadnaught Warhammer 40k.

cheers in advance guys.

Prime32
2011-09-14, 06:41 PM
There's some stuff here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9595), though with more emphasis on Super Robots.

~Nye~
2011-09-14, 07:22 PM
Cheers man, atleast it's a start :D

tensai_oni
2011-09-14, 07:24 PM
I will suggest Mutants and Masterminds with the Mecha and Manga expansion here.

It's not DnD, but it is d20.

Arbane
2011-09-14, 08:53 PM
Big Eyes, Small Mouth d20?

Bovine Colonel
2011-09-14, 09:19 PM
I've been toying with the idea of full plate armour with wands and a circumstance bonus to UMD.

Tvtyrant
2011-09-14, 09:33 PM
D20 future has mechs. You could also take the Large/Huge/Gargantuan/Colossal Animated Objects from 3.5 and grant them item slots and the ability to drive them. Crafting them would cost the same in materials with a skill check in robotics equal to HD, and then half that check to repair them. For repair costs pay 1/3 the initial build cost for fully destroyed, and then remove 5% for every HD worth not destroyed.

lightningcat
2011-09-15, 07:39 AM
I also use mechs in my fantasy d20 game, I use the books "Heavy Gear (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=1106&it=1)" by Dreampod 9 and the Guardians of Order's "d20 Mecha" although best of luck finding the latter. They run on almost the same system, and do require you (or your players) do a bit of work, but both do have examples. I've gotten rid of some of the rules and simplified others, but it works for me.

It should actually be easier for you, most of the book is set up for SciFi games.

The-Mage-King
2011-09-15, 01:08 PM
Hm....

Pathfinder construct modifications. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/building-and-modifying-constructs)

Paizo realized that people wanted to play Tony Stark, so...

Yeah. Best I can get, other than what's been mentioned.

Or Krimm's gunmen subtype (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5829984#post5829984).

~Nye~
2011-09-15, 01:39 PM
Cheers guys for all the input. :D
Those Gunmen are cool and I haven't seen those mecha pdf's from Dreampod, I guess I suck at google!! :smallannoyed:
My campaign has a bigger emphasis on guns and gadgets and psionis to an extent. :smalleek: But if it comes to that UMD it is!